What's new
Great spotting, thank you very much for the update! Am now looking for a 3D printable case.

Is this using a standard PCMCIA slot for the memory card? Issue I always had when trying to repair damaged systems was that the pin orientation and pitch of the PCMCIA card slot was impossible to find.

Will's Console Mods said they would be selling the repro AES mobos soon. They already have various other repro PCBs in stock (i.e. everything Cosam reproduced).

let's wait for them to replace as many parts as possible with new components, if I found a kit I would buy it immediately :)

No man, I’m not sure about what chip is used but 100% that are all new stuff.
This type of project already exist for snes and other. Let wait for detail.
For now you need to reuse OG chips:

1704927302025.png

Yes 3 of them from the BOM (NEO-D0, NEO-E0 and NEO-G0). That's great for repairs but until a complete set is available you'll still have to sacrifice OG hardware.
I haven't cross-referenced the chips but I know for sure the LSPC2 can be found on cheap MVS motherboard. Maybe someone could look into it and find the best/most economical solution for the whole build. (That someone could be me if I had enough free time).

There is an ebay seller in Spain/EU for some original NeoGeo ASIC, called "tecknoservices".
Ali is selling some as well but won't ship to europe.

You are better off getting parts board as you will want more then just the custom chips. I think MV1F/MV1FS/MV1FT are likely the best ones to get. They pretty much have everything other then NEO-G0 for custom chips, plus you get correct package for 68k, CR401s, the weird volume slider, joystick ports, etc.

What's going to happen if we start rerouting the board design for an MVS cart slot? Can we make an AES with an MVS slot, with no SRAM backup and no S rom for the built-in text?

Not sure how easy that would be... that would be effectively an MVS in AES format. It is not only the different slot, but some of the graphics hardware that is on an AES cart is on the MVS motherboard. (IIRC, that is... some of the C-ROM output serialisation?)

Not sure how easy that would be... that would be effectively an MVS in AES format. It is not only the different slot, but some of the graphics hardware that is on an AES cart is on the MVS motherboard. (IIRC, that is... some of the C-ROM output serialisation?)
PRO-CT0 and NEO-ZMC2.

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=PRO-CT0

So basically I suppose you'd have to find space to integrate a ZMC2 into the design, like a converter does.

Last edited:
you forgot the backup RAM :)
Already mentioned in my previous post. We're building an AES with an MVS slot here after all. We could omit the backup ram and live with Unibios memory card saves instead.

It may be easiest to just take the PCB outline and the schematic and route this from scratch, but then you can include or exclude whatever feature you want.

It may be easiest to just take the PCB outline and the schematic and route this from scratch, but then you can include or exclude whatever feature you want.
Including the ZMC2 would be a big ask, I admit. I believe the only schematic currently online is from the earliest model, and has mistakes. It wouldn't be easy.

I was able to get one of these mostly built. Its missing the power switch (dont have one and is hardwired for now) and memory card slot (will do later).

IMG_1193.jpg

It plays games ok and has sound, but something is off with the colors. I need to audit all the resister in the top left to make sure I didn't bork something. You can see the issue with the diag cart's video dac test.

Assembled AES:

IMG_1192.jpg

Original AES:
IMG_1191.jpg

Looks like red bit2 and blue bit2 and bit3 are missing.

Back