What's new

pierpa86

Student
Reaction score
Crazy stuff around the web.

"I am so close with the NeoGeo AES 3.5 Board. No Errors on the PCB now, few warnings, need to sort the silk screen, and missing a gnd pad hole in the corners."

The creator of this project say that he will publish on github.

Source: https://twitter.com/chris_jh

1684443293285.png

I think I'm missing something here, but I have always wondered what's the benefit of this kind of projects when they always (AFAIK) require custom chips that are not found anywhere but on a real console, so you would need to destroy an original one to create a replica.

I think I'm missing something here, but I have always wondered what's the benefit of this kind of projects when they always (AFAIK) require custom chips that are not found anywhere but on a real console, so you would need to destroy an original one to create a replica.
There is already replacement available for some of the Neo chips, I'm sure once the demand arises people will make more. In the meantime this is a cool option if you have some dead boards on your hands that you can recycle parts from.

https://github.com/neogeodev/NeoChips

There is already replacement available for some of the Neo chips, I'm sure once the demand arises people will make more. In the meantime this is a cool option if you have some dead boards on your hands that you can recycle parts from.

https://github.com/neogeodev/NeoChips
I had no idea about this, really interesting. I also found this: https://www.tindie.com/stores/furrtek/ which seem to be reproductions of the custom chips made (AFAIK) by furrtek with off-the shelf components. That might allow me to fix an MV2F I have wth some issues with the NEO-257 and NEO-ZMC2 chips.

It would be really cool if we could get to the point of producing 100% replacement motherboards for retro consoles. Especially if they include modern amenities like line doublers and HDMI output.

No man, I’m not sure about what chip is used but 100% that are all new stuff.
This type of project already exist for snes and other. Let wait for detail.

I've seen plenty of AES repair videos where the boards have a bunch of rotted/corroded traces, or a hole in the PCB from the stupid stand off on the top part of the shell, so I can see the value in something like this.

lots of PCBs are rotten, not just MVS, but also AES
there is something in either the solder mask that makes the traces corrode, or its because the PCBs weren't cleaned well enough after soldering

there is an abundance of 2nd gen custom ASIC (as used by the AES3-5) available, no worries about that

IMO the hard part is going to be finding the AES slots

I think what is really needed is replacement plastic shells for the AES and joysticks WITH good gold Silkscreening on them.
Agreed, though i doubt we'll ever get replacement shells WITH the silkscreening. I'd settle for a nice smoke translucent shell like Retro Game Restore made for the PCE.

I've seen plenty of AES repair videos where the boards have a bunch of rotted/corroded traces, or a hole in the PCB from the stupid stand off on the top part of the shell, so I can see the value in something like this.
Similar case with the "SE/30 Reloaded" Boards for Macintosh; there are enough battery bombed PCBs that reproducing just the bare PCB is actually worthwhile.

I'd probably suggest bringing it to RetroRGB's attention.. surely with his reach, 300 Neo monsters will come out of the woodwork. ;)

(I'd also prefer a smoked shell!)

I just don't want to see a bunch of original AES shells get tossed out and swapped with this. Only interested for repairing broken consoles, making new ones, or CMVSes.

Worst case a bunch of spares just hit the market for people who prefer originals. I can't see someone doing this swap to a good shell on a $500 dollar console, then going, "yes, this is garbage".

Back