What's new
Want To Buy

MK4Arcade

Student
Reaction score
Hello
I recently ordered my first PCB and am looking forward to playing it on my television. If anyone has a supergun that would be great! JAMMA boards are what I will be playing. I am located in the US.

I owned a HAS, fantastic SG I highly recommend them.
The next questions have to do with your setup...

What monitor/TV will you be using? CRT or LCD?
What are you "kick" requirements (ie JAMMA games you want to play with more than 3~4 buttons)?
What sticks will you be using? Homemade DB15 or USB with adapter?

I owned a HAS, fantastic SG I highly recommend them.
The next questions have to do with your setup...

What monitor/TV will you be using? CRT or LCD?
What are you "kick" requirements (ie JAMMA games you want to play with more than 3~4 buttons)?
What sticks will you be using? Homemade DB15 or USB with adapter?
I'm mostly will be playing Mortal Kombat games so definitely need a kick harness. My setup will be an LCD with a controller and adapter. I actually had a question...I have an MK4 board and it doesn't want to display on my TV. I know some games require -5v but does this affect video?

I'm mostly will be playing Mortal Kombat games so definitely need a kick harness.
You should get the JNX Raiden, it will adapt the MK family of kick connectors into a single/standard CPS2/3 style (HAS uses CPS2/3 style).
nHlWfpV.jpg

My setup will be an LCD with a controller and adapter.
What scaler will you be using?
I highly recommend the OSSC, but here is the problem with that...
wcqFYRq.jpg

OSSC cannot change the sync timing, thus the 54.88hz it outputs is NOT compatable with the majority of LCDs on the market (60.0hz only).
You'll likely need a freesync monitor to display this offspec refresh rate.
I replaced all my stock arcade monitors with LG freesyncs for this reason...
YeAWcvq.jpg

I know some games require -5v but does this affect video?
The Midway family DO require -5v, but NOT for video!
-5v is actually used by the sound board/hardware.
I'm almost sure your issue with video is what I'm describing above (ie Midway PCBs output a super wacky/offspec sync that just won't work with normal TVs).

BTW HAS supports -5v, provided you use a power supply capable of generating it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should get the JNX Raiden, it will adapt the MK family of kick connectors into a single/standard CPS2/3 style (HAS uses CPS2/3 style).
nHlWfpV.jpg

What scaler will you be using?
I highly recommend the OSSC, but here is the problem with that...
wcqFYRq.jpg

OSSC cannot change the sync timing, thus the 54.88hz it outputs is NOT compatable with the majority of LCDs on the market (60.0hz only).
You'll likely need a freesync monitor to display this offspec refresh rate.
I replaced all my stock arcade monitors with LG freesyncs for this reason...
YeAWcvq.jpg

The Midway family DO require -5v, but NOT for video!
-5v is actually used by the sound board/hardware.
I'm almost sure your issue with video is what I'm describing above (ie Midway PCBs output a super wacky/offspec sync that just won't work with normal TVs).

BTW HAS supports -5v, provided you use a power supply capable of generating it.
I will be using the retrotink 2X Scart (scart to hdmi). I had no idea about sync, thank you for explaining that! Definitely makes a lot of sense now. Does the JNX Raiden work good with retroelectronik superguns?

I will be using the retrotink 2X Scart (scart to hdmi)
I don't recommend that AT ALL.
MK games have really strange centering and resolutions...
Even on the OSSC you MUST set the active pixel area to greater than 240 lines or it cuts off the top and bottom of the image.
I don't know if the Tink can support this, somehow I doubt it (its a pretty basic device and you want to do some advanced shit here).

I also don't know how the Tink handles output sync, if it adjusts it the device is using a buffer and adding epic lag... If not then its fast/direct but can't work on 60.0hz only LCDs.

The Raiden just converts Midway style to CPS2/3 style, the supergun itself must then support CPS2/3 style (HAS dose, lots do, but I'm not sure about that specific one).

See all that was required to get MK working with my TV (I'm using the HAS+Raiden+OSSC+DVDO here)...
kcQn0ZK.jpg

I also really love these plexi cases, consolidates the soundboards perfectly.
uyzwcpw.jpg

I strongly recommend you cancel your Retroelectronik SuperGun order. The build quality is inconsistent with those - some of them turn out fine, but others have faulty grounds that have been known to fry controllers and/or the CRT or upscaler you connect them to.

Last edited:
Back