What's new
For Sale
Protip for the nicotine stains: Don't bother scrubbing and use a strong degreaser like Purple Power. Just spray on the crud, rinse, and watch it just melt off. I wasted a good couple of hours of scrubbing before finding that out.

Both the monitor chassis and PSUs would probably benefit from a recap.

Protip for the nicotine stains: Don't bother scrubbing and use a strong degreaser like Purple Power. Just spray on the crud, rinse, and watch it just melt off. I wasted a good couple of hours of scrubbing before finding that out.

Both the monitor chassis and PSUs would probably benefit from a recap.
I used krud kutter from homedepot. Worked like a charm, the nicotine would not come off with any traditional cleaner sprays but it melted with krud kutter.

Okay, rather than flounder with with internals for 2 weeks and then forget to post here, I'll simply talk about my experience so far. Linked at photos of the cabs.

Ordered these in April. Paid via paypal f&f at first. A month ago, it was pretty stressful getting a message that my paypal f&f bounced and that I needed to send a wire instead. It is truly only the three people I asked who said "yaton is legit" that kept me from blowing the whole thing up. But, here's more proof. Yaton is legit.

The condition isn't exactly great, but it's serviceable and I think worth the cost. Both the screens turned on when I plugged them in. I am getting a Mistercade to put in one, I really want to play Guilty Gear +R in the other and I'm not sure how to go about that quite yet. PC seems obvious but I've heard it's a PITA to set up. Advice welcome.

Can't fit them into my office door (my wife got her single 'told you so' in good) so I'm gonna have to either pop out a window or remove my door's trim. If you're thinking of impulse purchasing two Astro Cities from China, you will probably have an experience similar to me! Despite that, I'm glad I bought these. They're rare in Texas and I've already done the incredibly annoying value-add thing of transporting them. I'm gonna throw some sanwas into both replace the cheap buttons/stick that it came with.
Definitely appreciate this up-to-date review on Yaton, especially since I believe I may have ordered in the exact same batch as yours and am hoping I can bother you for some more specifics. :)

Did you ever get tracking for a ship with the container yours was in? This was mentioned in my communication with James back in May, but the last update was on May 31 that they had been moved to the outgoing warehouse. I've been a little nervous that I never got tracking for the boat, but if you didn't either then I'd be less worried. Your cabs are labeled 7 and 8 and mine is labeled 15, so maybe mine was in the same container and the shipping company is going through them in order.

And then how did the shipping company contact you to arrange delivery? I'm hoping I haven't missed something from them considering all the spam that comes in both e-mail and via phone these days. Did they have an address or number I could expect to look for?

Thank you again for documenting your experience; I've worked with cabinets before but this is definitely my first time trying to get one from China.

When I bought a cab from Yaton the first confirmation I got shipping wise was from the import broker.

Definitely appreciate this up-to-date review on Yaton, especially since I believe I may have ordered in the exact same batch as yours and am hoping I can bother you for some more specifics. :)

Did you ever get tracking for a ship with the container yours was in? This was mentioned in my communication with James back in May, but the last update was on May 31 that they had been moved to the outgoing warehouse. I've been a little nervous that I never got tracking for the boat, but if you didn't either then I'd be less worried. Your cabs are labeled 7 and 8 and mine is labeled 15, so maybe mine was in the same container and the shipping company is going through them in order.

And then how did the shipping company contact you to arrange delivery? I'm hoping I haven't missed something from them considering all the spam that comes in both e-mail and via phone these days. Did they have an address or number I could expect to look for?

Thank you again for documenting your experience; I've worked with cabinets before but this is definitely my first time trying to get one from China.

He did give me a tracking number for the boat, but it was kinda vague and I had to guess and check a few more numbers before I could see where it was. You should email sales08@pfcexpress.com,she gave me an update. I also got a number from Yaton to call her, but our call dropped.

I got a call the day before the delivery from the shipping company. Then a call that morning from the truck driver.

I like the games you're rocking. Vertical Collapse and Nothing Connected.

And, an update on the working CRT. Looks great! Will still be going for the high score in Nothing Connected another time :)

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
And, an update on the working CRT. Looks great! Will still be going for the high score in Nothing Connected another time :)

Update after adjusting the screen more, there's some pretty noticeable vertical bending at the top when everything is scaled correctly :(

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 128
Update after adjusting the screen more, there's some pretty noticeable vertical bending at the top when everything is scaled correctly :(
you need to adjust some of the pots on the chassis. I don't know if you already recapped it or not but start there. you need to adjust trapezoid and pincushion settings.

you need to adjust some of the pots on the chassis. I don't know if you already recapped it or not but start there. you need to adjust trapezoid and pincushion settings.
Just to add a suggestion here: do this with the monitor out of the cab. Adjusting geometry while it’s in is more painful/difficult (due to distance to the actual screen) and a bit riskier to accidentally touch the wrong thing. Especially if you need to eventually touch the convergence rings.

Taking the monitor out of the Astro doesn’t take long and the time “investment” to put out and back in quickly pays for itself.

Some positive feedback on Yaton--the vertical collapse chassis ended up being more difficult to repair (recapped it, still wasn't working). Yaton sent a replacement chassis which works great. Recapped the one with bending on the top, it's way more minimal now and doesn't jump around as much. Very happy with things turned out! Now I just need that darn Mistercade versus to connect them up...

Back