What's new
Want To Buy

ninjaz0mbie

Student
Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for a Blast City cabinet in good condition to add to my collection and enjoy at home with my two young boys. Settled on Blast City because the tri-sync monitor provides some versatility in what I can hook up to it.

I'm aware of their issues (and relative scarcity in the midwest) and I'm willing to pay up for one in good shape.

I've found some sellers out in California, but I would really want to inspect the cab in person before dropping that kind of money sight-unseen. Incidentally, I'll be in California next week, and if there's anybody in the LA area who would be willing to help me assess a potential buy, I would be extremely grateful.

KC is in rosemont CA. His cab quality is luck of the draw but he gets blasts in all the time of varying condition. He will show you in person.

Ken at the game room in Utah will sell you something at least cleaned and refurbished. Think of KC’s stock, just without the nicotine stains and smell ;)

Cereth on here will sell you what he has access too, also varying quality, but he’s very upfront about what he has at any given shipment.

If new is 10/10, it might take years of searching to find one that’s 9/10. Most everything for sale will be like 7/10 or lower imo. A bit of work and you could get it to 8/10 cosmetically. Of course you could buy and of them and strip/repaint and restore that way.

The tube is the tough part. They will all have some light burn on the tube at this point. Also the chassis will need a recap unless someone did it (or the old one died and was replaced by a cheap wei ya... avoid if possible).

Also the relative scarcity it just a myth honestly. You can have anything you want. It’s just +$500 to ship it to you.

Thanks, I've already spoken to KC and Ken. KC seems a little difficult to work with unless I could find somebody to act as a proxy for me. Written communication is sketchy and he wanted money up front before he'd even send me pictures of a cabinet

Ken seemed friendly, and his prices were a bit higher than KCs, but it sounds like he does clean up his cabs a bit more as well as offer to install a two player control panel. Might be worth the extra cost. Can anybody here vouch for his reputation? Does he actually refurbish the cabinets, or does it amount to "checking that it turns on and giving it a good wipe down"?

I've reached out to Cereth on his profile's wall. Awaiting a response, thanks

Another member here was friendly enough to offer up a New Net City cab in pretty good condition in Sioux Falls, about a 4 hour drive from where I live. I'm mulling that one over as well because that would save me on shipping.

I'd take a New Net City over a Blast City any day of the week. Don't mull it over, go buy it.

I'm a huge fan of blast cities, got two of them myself h2h. but yeah I want a NNC too eventually. Blast city with 001 loom natively handles jamma and jvs... i don't think there's a native jamma solution for nnc? but yeah... options.

JAMMA is a must for me. While I probably will throw a Naomi in there, I’d really like to be able to use some older PCBs as well.

Are there good JAMMA conversion kits anybody could point me to?

My main reservation about this is that I’ve heard NNC cabs are harder to find parts for since they aren’t as ubiquitous as the Blast City or Astro City cabs. The control panel in this one appears to be a 1p Astro City panel, so I’d want to replace it with a NNC 2-player (original or repro). The side art is partly missing so I’d be looking for repro decals as well. The bezel apparently had a lot of stickers on it that were hard to remove and covered with black tape so I’d want to either restore it or look for a replacement.

All of this adds up into a small project. Not a huge fixer-upper project like a cab right out of a shipping container, obviously, but a project nonetheless. I’m just trying to decide how doable this would be for me.

sorry to jump in, but im also looking for one that is already in UK.

JAMMA is a must for me. While I probably will throw a Naomi in there, I’d really like to be able to use some older PCBs as well.

Are there good JAMMA conversion kits anybody could point me to?
Jammafier. Or make your own JAMMA loom. Lot's of busy work, but fun.
My main reservation about this is that I’ve heard NNC cabs are harder to find parts for since they aren’t as ubiquitous as the Blast City or Astro City cabs.
That was written 10 years ago and is repeated as if it is the gospel. Since then, the newer CRT cab fell out of favor in Japan and were dumped here. Just like the Astro's before them. So you find lots of NNC's in the US now. Not as many as Astro's because the NNC was produced as arcades and CRT tech were waning. But the truth is, parts for Candy cabs, no matter the model, are hard to come by these days. You aren't spared no matter what cab you have. Especially since you are in MN.
The control panel in this one appears to be a 1p Astro City panel, so I’d want to replace it with a NNC 2-player (original or repro). The side art is partly missing so I’d be looking for repro decals as well. The bezel apparently had a lot of stickers on it that were hard to remove and covered with black tape so I’d want to either restore it or look for a replacement.
All of this adds up into a small project. Not a huge fixer-upper project like a cab right out of a shipping container, obviously, but a project nonetheless. I’m just trying to decide how doable this would be for me.
Being in Minnesota, unless you get a Blast from a private collector, you are looking at a project regardless. That NNC you have access to, is a project already. The difference is, with the NNC, you know what you are getting into. If you buy from KC, you're playing roulette. Cereth has stopped taking orders for CRT cabs. That leaves you with Ken at the Gameroom, if he has anything.

Blast City's have the more classic candy box aesthetic to them, but the NNC's aesthetics grows on you. It's by far my favorite cab to look at when off. As far as ease of use goes, NNC beats all Candy cabs in that area. It is so intelligently designed. The Blast City is the Candy cab equivalent of a German car. Such a bitch to work on those things. If you want to be an owner of a Blast, and it is a project, be prepared to lose precious time in your life. But if it is not a project, then all the better. Stickers on a bezel are cake to get rid of. Repro CPO's are not hard to get for an NNC. What is hard to get however is the side art for the NNC. There is a seller that makes nice repro's. He just isn't reputable (Zona Arcade).

Personally, everything being equal and you have a choice between the two (if both had JAMMA looms and are in equal states of disrepair), I'd take an NNC over a Blast City. For the reasons already said. But the main reason being the monitor. The image on the NNC is the pinnacle of CRT gaming goodness. Just don't get the one with the Wei-ya chassis.

Jammafier. Or make your own JAMMA loom. Lot's of busy work, but fun.
Sadly it looks like these are no longer for sale. Hopefully @invzim brings them back sometime.

https://irkenlabs.com/59-the-last-jammafier-for-now

That was written 10 years ago and is repeated as if it is the gospel. Since then, the newer CRT cab fell out of favor in Japan and were dumped here. Just like the Astro's before them. So you find lots of NNC's in the US now. Not as many as Astro's because the NNC was produced as arcades and CRT tech were waning.
That's good to know. I think I heard it from an "intro to candy cabs" video by "kevinddr" on youtube that's about three years old. I assumed the info was somewhat current.

Blast City's have the more classic candy box aesthetic to them, but the NNC's aesthetics grows on you. It's by far my favorite cab to look at when off. As far as ease of use goes, NNC beats all Candy cabs in that area. It is so intelligently designed. The Blast City is the Candy cab equivalent of a German car. Such a bitch to work on those things. If you want to be an owner of a Blast, and it is a project, be prepared to lose precious time in your life. But if it is not a project, then all the better. Stickers on a bezel are cake to get rid of. Repro CPO's are not hard to get for an NNC. What is hard to get however is the side art for the NNC. There is a seller that makes nice repro's. He just isn't reputable (Zona Arcade).

Personally, everything being equal and you have a choice between the two (if both had JAMMA looms and are in equal states of disrepair), I'd take an NNC over a Blast City. For the reasons already said. But the main reason being the monitor. The image on the NNC is the pinnacle of CRT gaming goodness. Just don't get the one with the Wei-ya chassis.
Thank you for this. As I've been digging in and doing more research, I've been starting to lean toward the NNC path as well. The design aesthetics are already starting to grow on me a bit, and it appears as though going from JVC to JAMMA is slightly easier than the other way around. Plus being in service for less time makes it more likely to find a chassis in good condition.

I also have done a bit of research on the availability of donor tubes for the Toshiba PF chassis in the event that I really try to restore one to pristine condition.

Tube swap questions

One question about JVS io boards. Does the use of this "usb-like" connector introduce any latency in the inputs? Has anybody done a thorough test on this? Would I want to bypass the JVS io board altogether and wire a JAMMA loom directly to the controls rather than using the JAMMAfier?

For that matter, do sync conversions from RGBS to RGBHV introduce latency in the display? If I were to try to play a Saturn light-gun game on the monitor, would it work (hypothetically)?

Some JVS I/O boards have latency. But what can you do? Without the JVS I/O, you can't play JVS games. What you try to do is not to add to the latency. Best way to do that is to skip a JVS-to-JAMMA adapter and wire up a JAMMA loom for your JAMMA games. Although, @invzim does a great job the JAMMAfier' to ensure the latency is as low as possible. JAMMA loom = no added latency. JVS-to-JAMMA adapter = some/very little latency added.

RGBS/RGBHV are analog video signals, not digital. There is no latency from analog video signals. Saturn light gun games work on an NNC. There is someone over the at the NNC owners/appreciation thread that posted about it. Sucks that this site doesn't allow you to search within a thread.

You'll have to go alone on the tube swap thing for the Toshiba PF/NNC. No one has posted results for finding and harvesting donor tubes from televisions to use in an arcade monitor for the Toshiba PF. I am sure there is someone out there that has pulled it off. What you can also do is look for Wangnum Midnight racer cabs. They have 29" flat CRT tubes that you can use as donors too. Yoke swap may be needed.

NNC monitor is that much nicer than Blast? Any particular reason?

Ken seemed friendly, and his prices were a bit higher than KCs, but it sounds like he does clean up his cabs a bit more as well as offer to install a two player control panel. Might be worth the extra cost. Can anybody here vouch for his reputation? Does he actually refurbish the cabinets, or does it amount to "checking that it turns on and giving it a good wipe down"?

I've reached out to Cereth on his profile's wall. Awaiting a response, thanks
Ken used to be good. But not so much anymore. Now he has the same quality cabinets as everyone else, and charges around double KC with the only added service being wiping the cab down and turning it on to send you a pic or two of that particular cabinet. He'll also throw on meh quality 2P repro panels if you ask. Those are the only differences at this point.

NNC monitors are crispy compared to Blasts :D
If you see them side by side, same game loaded your are gonna be like =O that NNC blows the Blast away. Seriously, I had both cabs side by side.
That being said, I do prefer curved crts over the flats.

NNC monitors are crispy compared to Blasts :D If you see them side by side, same game loaded your are gonna be like =O that NNC blows the Blast away. Seriously, I had both cabs side by side.
The NNC monitor is fantastic and the average person would say it looks better than the Blast, but IMO the Blast is still my favorite overall cabinet and I really do like the classic curved CRT.

The flat screens almost have an LCD look to them, whereas older curved monitors have their own unique charm.

Not dogging either one but if you're trying to decide between the two and can only have one it's best to see them in person if you have the opportunity.

NNC monitors are crispy compared to Blasts :D If you see them side by side, same game loaded your are gonna be like =O that NNC blows the Blast away. Seriously, I had both cabs side by side.
Yup. ^This. The sharpness and the white level (contrast) achieved on the NNC monitor is unparrallel. I think that is what makes the difference. My NNC's are equipped with Sanwa PFX's. And I have seen Toshiba PF's in action. They are about the same but the Toshiba PF has less trouble synching to some JAMMA boards and is preferable between the two.

Little things like the peak white of text on screens or screens with stars in the backfield just stands out. I hooked up R-Type II through a PS1, SCART cable, and a Sync Strike. That game is so damn hard. It took me a week to pass level 1. But everytime I played that 1st level, the stars in the background would always strike me. Gave you that lost in space feel. That contrast goodness passes to the colors too. When I first turned on my NNC with CVS2 at 31khz, my jaw was on the floor. The attract mode looked like an animated movie. I even dug up old Superbit DVD's, hooked up a PS2 to it, just to see how good an RGB CRT could really look like (being an an American, we never had that luxury way back then). Those DVD's looked great on the NNC.

Admittedly, it could be that my NNC had like only a few Yen ever put into it (less than 100, IIRC). It could be that my monitor was basically new. Blast City's are what 10 years older than NNC's? But I am thinking it is the monitor is just that much better, newer tech. Those NNC's monitors utilized what turned out to be the peak of CRT technology before LCD's took over the market. You'll have to get used to the flat screen however. Lot's of people prefer the curved screen. But that shouldn't be too hard since everyone has viewing things on flat screens now for the last 20 years.

Maybe I can get a side by side comparison with my NNC monitor and my Net City monitor (MS2933. A bug fixed version of the MS2930 found in most Blast's, although some Blasts do come with the MS2933) to show the difference. My buddy has a Blast City running side by side next to an NNC, I can get a comparison there too.

I mean pictures dont really do justice when comparing...but the NNC monitor next to the Blast makes the nanao look like dull crap...

aw130EP.jpg

jJykZPP.jpg

Back