What's new
Would anyone else (besides me) like to see a Darksoft multi for Capcom/Sony ZN-1 & ZN-2?
I would.

Honestly we're already part-way there. I believe the Taito G-Net uses a version of the ZN2 mobo, I think the biggest difference is the bios and protection chips (though the audio chip may be different also).

There are a lot of platforms that use the ZN- baseboards. It stands to reason that a lot of them could be ported to work on G-Net,

Acclaim PSX (NBA Jam Extreme/Judge Dredd)
Atari PSX (Primal Rage 2)
Atlus PSX (Heavens Gate)
Capcom ZN-1 (5 games)
Capcom ZN-2 (9 games)
Tatio FX-1A (5 games)
Taito FX-1B (5 games, all already working on G-Net CF)
Taito G-Net (22 games, most working on G-Net CF)
Raizing PS-Arcade-95 (4 games, one already working on G-Net CF)
Tecmo TPS (12 Games, some already working on G-Net CF)
Video Systems PSX (Sonic Wings Limited, already working on G-Net CF)

Would anyone else (besides me) like to see a Darksoft multi for Capcom/Sony ZN-1 & ZN-2?
I would.
Honestly we're already part-way there. I believe the Taito G-Net uses a version of the ZN2 mobo, I think the biggest difference is the bios and protection chips (though the audio chip may be different also).

There are a lot of platforms that use the ZN- baseboards. It stands to reason that a lot of them could be ported to work on G-Net,

Acclaim PSX (NBA Jam Extreme/Judge Dredd)
Atari PSX (Primal Rage 2)
Atlus PSX (Heavens Gate)
Capcom ZN-1 (5 games)
Capcom ZN-2 (9 games)
Tatio FX-1A (5 games)
Taito FX-1B (5 games, all already working on G-Net CF)
Taito G-Net (22 games, most working on G-Net CF)
Raizing PS-Arcade-95 (4 games, one already working on G-Net CF)
Tecmo TPS (12 Games, some already working on G-Net CF)
Video Systems PSX (Sonic Wings Limited, already working on G-Net CF)
I PM'ed a certain expert member on this forum about converting ZN-2 games to Taito G Net. They said it is doable as the difference is just the bios. So get yourself a Taito G Net and sit tight.

:thumbsup:
Time to stock up on some cf cards.
Als for the next multi: Kaneko Supernova.

Screw those ugly ass Cyvern conversion carts.

I think it would be nice to get the existing converted games working 100% before worrying about new platforms hitting G-Net. I know that a couple are either missing music, or sound effects. Ray Storm is one of these if memory serves me. Can't remember off the top of my head, and a quick forum search didn't turn up what I'm thinking of.

I know that a couple are either missing music, or sound effects. Ray Storm is one of these if memory serves me. Can't remember off the top of my head, and a quick forum search didn't turn up what I'm thinking of.
AFAIK the only game with problems is Brave Blade which is missing music, and it's missing music because the original rom board featured an audio chip (YMF271) that doesn't exist on the GNet... so there's not much that can be "fixed" with that.

I know that a couple are either missing music, or sound effects. Ray Storm is one of these if memory serves me. Can't remember off the top of my head, and a quick forum search didn't turn up what I'm thinking of.
AFAIK the only game with problems is Brave Blade which is missing music, and it's missing music because the original rom board featured an audio chip (YMF271) that doesn't exist on the GNet... so there's not much that can be "fixed" with that.
Ah, yeah, Brave Blade, not Ray Storm. I knew there was some early 3D shmup with audio issues.

I wonder how many other games in that giant list would have other odd partial incompatibilities due to this or that being different.

I wonder how many other games in that giant list would have other odd partial incompatibilities due to this or that being different.that is the problem. I've seen people me
That is the problem for sure. most of it is documented in MAME:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/zn.cpp

it looks like the Capcom sub boards have a Q-sound chip, and at least Bloody Roar uses the same sound chip as Brave Blade.

A lot of them don't have any special audio chips on the sub-board but have weird data configurations. Like Primal Rage 2 doesn't have any special audio hardware AFAIK but does have an IDE controller to pull game data from a hard drive

Thanks guys, though I don't have a color printer at the moment. I should get one... :whistling:

Speaking of ZN-2, that is one of my top desired multis if I had to rank them, and it seems like it might not be as big of an overhaul as say the CPS2 multi was, though might need to use the ZN-2 A-board as the base for its updated chips, but that assessment is a better question for the pro, @Darksoft ;)

Formal ask: Would anyone else (besides me) like to see a Darksoft multi for Capcom/Sony ZN-1 & ZN-2?

Game list isn't long (13 total for both boards), but they have some amazing titles between them! Even as separate multis they would still be great! :D

Namco System 11 & 12 multi(s) would be awesome, too!
Although I already own the games I want on the ZN-2 platform it would be nice, since there's no real way to upgrade to EX2 Plus.

As mentioned earlier the problem with a ZN multi is that every single game (outside of I think SFEX and EX Plus) all use a different protection chip and the bios is different depending on the game developer as well.

You can see that here
http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1_nbn/gurudumps/ZNx/index.html

If anything I just want the ability to upgrade ex2 to plus.

My top would be:

Cave
Cps1
PGM

Everything Naomi/atomiswave related works perfectly well for me (CF+Netboot)

4 requests in a row for a PGM multi. Such a popular request should not go unheeded ;)
And speaking of Cave multis, could their lawyers even do anything about a multi device (assuming no ROMs are being distributed)?

assuming no ROMs are being distributed
So long as no copyrighted code/information was contained on the multi, Cave would have to argue its sole purpose was to circumvent copy protection.
Trying to get it covered under the DMCA circumvention definition to block sales is all they could do, it would likely fail to meet this classification however.
After all it's a development tool so you can program your own games, not intended for piracy. ;)

Back