What's new

freddiefiasco

Professional
Reaction score
I am working on a Triforce (1GB) Console. I have a zero PIC loaded and SW1,2 set to ON and both blue jumpers set to OFF. For some reason, when I load up the system, I get an Error 31 game not accepted by game board.

It's been a while since I did this but on another Triforce (512MB) I use the same zero PIC, same switch and dip settings and it loads just fine.

Main Board
Region Japan
Boot Version 2.03
Firm Version 0.36
FPGA Version 7.09

Media Board
Firm Version 1.01

Network Board
Firm Version 11.01 (VxWorks)

Am I missing a setting? Are the firmware versions too low for this Triforce to be updated?

Are you loading a 512MB image to the 1GB unit?
I don't think that can work.
Error 31 is typically the error you get when the dimm memory is corrupt.
So basically, after you loaded the game image, it still can't detect a valid game.

Are you loading a 512MB image to the 1GB unit?
I don't think that can work.
Error 31 is typically the error you get when the dimm memory is corrupt.
So basically, after you loaded the game image, it still can't detect a valid game.
I can't even get that far. I'm only trying to update the firmware. I'm using a zero key from another triforce that works with net booting.

I powered it up, bottom message says initializing media board
Then the error appears in the grey box above.

Normally on my other triforce it immediately says waiting for network.

Should I swap dimm memory?

Your media board firm version seems rather low.
Don't you need at least 3.02 for netbooting?
If this assumption is correct, you will need a gdrom and the disk to update that firmware.
After that, netboot should work.

I could be wrong about this. Maybe someone else more experienced can confirm or deny.

Is there a legitimate 1GB version of Triforce? Assuming Type 3, could it be that the update is only compatible with 512MB? Maybe switch to 512MB and try again? Is it similar to Chihiro Type 3 where 1GB/512MB is a jumper setting?

Is there a legitimate 1GB version of Triforce?
This too I've never seen any 1GB Tri-Force games, I would definitely put it at 512MB just to avoid potential problems.

The other question is what was the type of the Triforce the that zero key was borrowed from, since IIRC the Type 1 and Type 3 need different zero keys.

Is there a legitimate 1GB version of Triforce? Assuming Type 3, could it be that the update is only compatible with 512MB? Maybe switch to 512MB and try again? Is it similar to Chihiro Type 3 where 1GB/512MB is a jumper setting?
On the casing itself, it hows 1GB instead of the usual 512MB label.

Popped it open and it had two memory sticks inside. Test menu shows 1024MB as well.

I did try removing one of the sticks and turned the console off/on and showed the same thing.

I will try the memory stick of the working Triforce (512MB) this afternoon.

I matched the jumper settings to the 512MB. If the 1GB model needs different jumper settings I would not have any idea. what they are.

Is there a legitimate 1GB version of Triforce?
This too I've never seen any 1GB Tri-Force games, I would definitely put it at 512MB just to avoid potential problems.
The other question is what was the type of the Triforce the that zero key was borrowed from, since IIRC the Type 1 and Type 3 need different zero keys.
I will try this today using a 512MB off of another Triforce just to be safe.

The zero key used is from a 512MB Type 3 Triforce.

Your media board firm version seems rather low.
Don't you need at least 3.02 for netbooting?
If this assumption is correct, you will need a gdrom and the disk to update that firmware.
After that, netboot should work.

I could be wrong about this. Maybe someone else more experienced can confirm or deny.
If this is the case, does someone have an Update disc for the Triforce they are willing to lend to me? :)

The zero key for type 1 and type 3 are not different. Some keys for a type 1 just don't work on a type 3.

The reason is that the oscillator type of the pic is wrong setup. It still works on a model 1 but not on a model 3.

But, a correct programmed pic that works in a model 3 should work in a model 1 as well.

The one used with a compact flash and the one used with netboot are different.

But again, if I am wrong, please correct me.

I am using a netboot zero key. OSC = HS.

I can try with my cf, do you happen to know the OSC value for a cf zero key?

The difference between netboot and compact flash is not the OSC setting.
The OSC setting is what makes it work on type 1 / type 3 or type 1 only.

The difference between netboot and compact flash is the response to 1 of the commands.
I'll have to dig up the sources for the details.

The difference between netboot and compact flash is not the OSC setting.
The OSC setting is what makes it work on type 1 / type 3 or type 1 only.

The difference between netboot and compact flash is the response to 1 of the commands.
I'll have to dig up the sources for the details.
Ok thanks. If it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate it.

What exactly do you need?
Would you like to program your own pic security chips?

Yes. I have the pic file but I just needed to make sure the burn settings are correct.

; this isn't working.
; __config 0x3FA2
; _CP_OFF & _DATA_CP_OFF & _LVP_ON & _BODEN_OFF & _MCLRE_ON & _PWRTE_ON & _WDT_OFF
; & _HS_OSC

; __config 0x2182

; _CP_OFF & _DATA_CP_OFF & _LVP_ON & _BODEN_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _PWRTE_ON & _WDT_OFF
; & _HS_OSC

__config 0x0182

; _CP_ON & _DATA_CP_OFF & _LVP_ON & _BODEN_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _PWRTE_ON & _WDT_OFF
; & _HS_OSC

This are the different flags of the config register.

0x0182 is what should work on type 3 and type 1

; this isn't working.
; __config 0x3FA2
; _CP_OFF & _DATA_CP_OFF & _LVP_ON & _BODEN_OFF & _MCLRE_ON & _PWRTE_ON & _WDT_OFF
; & _HS_OSC

; __config 0x2182

; _CP_OFF & _DATA_CP_OFF & _LVP_ON & _BODEN_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _PWRTE_ON & _WDT_OFF
; & _HS_OSC

__config 0x0182

; _CP_ON & _DATA_CP_OFF & _LVP_ON & _BODEN_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _PWRTE_ON & _WDT_OFF
; & _HS_OSC

This are the different flags of the config register.

0x0182 is what should work on type 3 and type 1
Great thanks!
I will try this today.

what is the 0x2182 setting for?

Back