What's new
With key writing is this forced to be on by default and done every time with the newest FW and the wires being installed?

If there is no file *.key in the directory chosen, then no keys will be written.

Maybe I missed it, but what exactly is key writing and why is it desirable?

Thanks!

:D

Thanks!

Plays the games as if they were in their original-on-battery state; not decrypted as in the case with Avalaunch roms or hacked as in the case with Phoenix roms. The CPS2 multi writes the decryption keys upon bootup to achieve this.

Thanks!

Plays the games as if they were in their original-on-battery state; not decrypted as in the case with Avalaunch roms or hacked as in the case with Phoenix roms. The CPS2 multi writes the decryption keys upon bootup to achieve this.
So basically it's about as original as you can get?

Ah, ok.

Thanks!

So basically it's about as original as you can get?
Ah, ok.
It's even better than that, remember the instructions that Eduardo Cruz posted about how to build the Arduino device needed to ressurect a dead CPS2 board? Well, you can skip that and just use Darksoft's multi to restore your board to OG state.

If there is no file *.key in the directory chosen, then no keys will be written.
And so even with the wires hooked up and the newest firmware installed there are no potential risks of doing any damage to any of the boards?

You can still downgrade your FW if you don't want to use key writing or can't get key writing to work with your pcb for some reason.
Yes, but as Mitsu said, DON'T CONNECT THE 4 WIRES TO PROGRAM KEYS IF YOU HAVE THE OLD FIRMWARE AS YOU MAY FRY YOUR KIT.
Hey Darksoft, do you mind testing this on one of your spare kits, just so we know for sure...

Must have missed this...what's with the new firmware/update, and the key writing? My cps2multi
runs fine..is this something special?

It basically can write the keys to the encryption on the game board as if it was original from factory.
Also good for de-suiciding boards.

You can still downgrade your FW if you don't want to use key writing or can't get key writing to work with your pcb for some reason.
Yes, but as Mitsu said, DON'T CONNECT THE 4 WIRES TO PROGRAM KEYS IF YOU HAVE THE OLD FIRMWARE AS YOU MAY FRY YOUR KIT.
Hey Darksoft, do you mind testing this on one of your spare kits, just so we know for sure... :D
What do you want tested?
Old Firmware plus the 4 wires connected = fried kit.

Just kidding though...

Just So I dont screw it up when I get it:

The new Kit comes with the newest firmware that writes keys and uses encrypted romsets, right?
So what would happen if I use the old decrypted romset with no keyfile and DONT solder the 4 wires?

it will load the game but won't write any keys. So it will work only with decrypted romsets which is what you're trying to do.

It basically can write the keys to the encryption on the game board as if it was original from factory.
Thanks! I will leave mine as is...no sense in messing with something that works great, if im not gonna do any of the stuff allowed in the upgrade.

Thanks! I will leave mine as is...no sense in messing with something that works great, if im not gonna do any of the stuff allowed in the upgrade.
i do not get it too.
Why was this necessary? Everything worked fine. The romset from Smokemonster with the old firmware.
or are we missing any game Content?

thanks

Back