What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing the cart shells and that menu, this is absolutely the most excited I've ever been for a flash cart. Congrats, Darksoft, you've done it!! :D

The list view allows more overviewing the games, I like that.

Regarding the whole menu, IMHO, I would just leave out a few animations or at least give the user the option to turn them off for quicker navigation or
less eye irritation ;)

Generally, animating pics/logos or using some kind of effects can be nice if they're built in seamlessly... on the other
hand, such things can be annoying if they look like "The effects is there beacuse I thought there needed to be an effect".
At this point, the menu stilll looks more like the latter... just my two cents.
No deal breaker, though, only a cosmetic issue.

I also think that animations, because this is neo-geo is just not right. There's a difference between a menu looking nice, colorful and beautiful and looking overloaded with unnecessary stuff. Animations (IMO) fall in the second category, especially the reeeeeally slow one in the end when you select Waku Waku 7. I like the "list" menu a lot, however it would be nice if names could be made custom and longer (like CPS2 multi), not everybody likes MAME names on their romz (funny, isn't it?) but generally speaking, I do like what i see so far. Thanks for your effort and for listening to our suggestions, DS. Finally...can the initial logo be replaced? I'd much prefer seeing your Darksoft logo than the current one, but maybe I am alone in this.

Screenshots! YES! Whether you got it from me or not, awesome, thanks!

Would they be native to the cart based on file name and/or rom scan or would they be customizable with a file in the directory structure?
The latter would be amazing.

+1 to aha's comment about the names being customizable.

If you want a master class in fast, responsive menu design - check out some Cave games. I don't think it's just my subjectivity, they do a lot of things to make the menu feel snappy. Sound fxs are short and trebly, transitions have a variable rate (like items fly in fast and slow down just at the end), cursors/buttons blink at a quick rate, etc. Even their iOS versions feel quick and tight when selecting a character or options. This menu looks great but could certainly be way 'faster.' Speed up all transitions.

One suggestion, especially if you can't speed things up due to some Neo-specific restriction. I don't think there's a need for the nav box to contract all the way, then expand again, every time you change a game. Just change the data inside the box. And if you need a bigger or smaller box, just animate the box size directly to the new size without shrinking to 0 then redrawing it.

Regarding the whole menu, IMHO, I would just leave out a few animations or at least give the user the option to turn them off for quicker navigation or

less eye irritation ;)
I agree with this... the option to turn them on or off would be great.

I do really like the list mode, that looks sweet!

:D

Fast selection list mode with bigger logo would good enough I believe. Navigation seems slow on the video but I guess that was a teaser only.
Also this NEOGEO cd logo ... eurk ! I agree this can be changed with a traditional mvs one.
Question on the case that was raised earlier: will it be recycled cases ? I don't mind but just curious if would will need to sacrifice games :o
Many thanks for good work done/to be done and thanks also for giving the opportunity to speak up.
Good luck for the rest, construction/sales/after sales are a long and important way to go.
Cheers

For everyone that ask, in the last year I have collect more of 200 cart from non working games like supersidekicks2, you have to know that in Italy were sold more supersidekicks2 mvs than in every place of the world, we can build house with this cart :)

I usually repair mvs games, but repair a puzzle bobble or a sidekicks2 is more expensive than the game itself

no one good working game will be killed for our project don't worry

Please still make a lean and fast simple list menu.
The current menus are terribly slow for no reason other than presentation. That's nice for the first 3 minutes but gets old fast after that. Please no ROM names, that's terrible.

The current menus are terribly slow for no reason other than presentation. That's nice for the first 3 minutes but gets old fast after that. Please no ROM names, that's terrible.
Let's try and be constructive here, rather than flat out negative. Please bear in mind that this is a WIP. This menu is looking great.

Let's try and be constructive here, rather than flat out negative. Please bear in mind that this is a WIP. This menu is looking great.
^THAT^ and ^THAT^

We are using cases of non working games.
Can I ask how many of these will be available during the lifecycle of your cart?
There will be as many as needed. As @Capozhwm said he already had a good stock and has good contacts in the industry. If you haven't seen his site ( http://www.saveyourgames.it/) his main business is plastic cases and protection shells.
What happened to the guy who had the plastic molds he spend 40k $ on?
Not worth the production?

It's the same guy and he made the mold for AES.... did you see the pics a couple of threads back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back