What's new
AFAIR No code was changed that may affect the buttons.

Just received this Puzzle & Action II board - at first I thought it was a bootleg (as it only cost $9.99 (yes, shipping was almost double :D )) but it has a big SEGA chip on it.
Would it work on this board too you think? It looks different than the socketed PCB's I have seen.
s-l1600.jpg

Is that JAMMA? I don't think Sega would have produced a JAMMA board without the key notch.

Is that JAMMA? I don't think Sega would have produced a JAMMA board without the key notch.
Yes, it is JAMMA, works fine.

Definitely a bootleg.
Do bootleggers go as far to print SEGA on the chip? Or is this a real chip from sega, just used on a bootleggers board?
This is a snap of my board:
rFnoGs7h.jpg

Bit of Googling, it says this is: MegaDrive/Genesis VDP (315-5313). Found also the chip pictured here: http://www.jammarcade.net/?s=5313

Remains my question, do you think I could do a conversion with this board? ^^

That looks like a boot VDP passing off as a real one. Probably it was swiped from a reject bin and refinished, or produced illegally during off hours, or something like that. I expect it is accurate and based on the real design though. I have such a board I ordered months ago from Greece but it hasn't shown up. I wanted to run Puyo Puyo 2 on it.

ok ok - so it is a bootleg. I also have a real Puzzle & Action II board like that (but use that for the C2-Multi).

Regardless, my question is @Darksoft, is there a chance the conversion works on this bootleg?

Yes, it will probably work. You may have to split roms to match the sizes of your bootleg roms, but should work.

Yes, it will probably work. You may have to split roms to match the sizes of your bootleg roms, but should work.
Thanks! It will be my first conversion. I'll report back with progress or question :D

The question is: does this bootleg support 27C040 ROMs?
I see sound ROM has been split in 2 ROMs.

I did a similar conversion in a bootleg. I just splitted the sound rom in 2 parts and it worked.

Yes, it is JAMMA, works fine.
Definitely a bootleg.
Do bootleggers go as far to print SEGA on the chip? Or is this a real chip from sega, just used on a bootleggers board?This is a snap of my board:
rFnoGs7h.jpg

Bit of Googling, it says this is: MegaDrive/Genesis VDP (315-5313). Found also the chip pictured here: http://www.jammarcade.net/?s=5313

Remains my question, do you think I could do a conversion with this board? ^^
It's not rare to see original customs used on bootleg, for example I have an Out Zone copy with all original ASICs.This happens most likely when bootlegers are not able to reproduce functions of some custom ICs so they are forced to use the original parts.

It's not rare to see original customs used on bootleg, for example I have an Out Zone copy with all original ASICs.This happens most likely when bootlegers are not able to reproduce functions of some custom ICs so they are forced to use the original parts.
Interesting, can you post pics of that board? I am looking to buy an Out Zone pcb so I would want to know if its a boot or legit.

Interesting, can you post pics of that board? I am looking to buy an Out Zone pcb so I would want to know if its a boot or legit.
I sold the board some time ago but I shoud lhave a picture of it.Anyway you can recognize immediately if it's a bootleg or a legit board.Manufacture of the bootleg is very poor and different (although layout is the sme) compared to the original one.

I did a similar conversion in a bootleg. I just splitted the sound rom in 2 parts and it worked.
What about program ROMs?
I'm going to design my multi-C2 as 2 boards connected by a ribbon cable. This way it should accommodate both OG and bootlegs board.
However game board must support 27C040 EPROMs (A18 address line available through the sockets) and sound ROM must be unique (unless you build an adapter).

[EDIT]
My bad if the bootleg board presented earlier is Tant-R (or is it Ichidant-R?) it should support 27C040 ROMs as I see only 4 of them.

So I installed Darksoft's Thunder Force AC ROMs on my new C2 board to hold me over until the multi is ready. I didn't have any 27C020 for IC4 so I just doubled the ROM and burned it to another 27C040. They work great!

I also took the opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do and that is make some custom ROM stickers with a split image. I got the artwork from a Mega Drive Thunder Force III ad. and the Thunder Force AC logo is of course from the title screen.

tfac_roms1.jpg

tfac_roms2.jpg

@twistedsymphony oh hey now, that is kick-ass! now i want to do that to the KI / KI2 sound roms, all 8 in a nice block. Are those rounded edges cut with your shiny new cutting tool?

@cpsystem3 was just giving me shit over my awful handwritten labels too... ;)

Are those rounded edges cut with your shiny new cutting tool?
Indeed. I first had the idea looking at one of my UMK3 board where half of the original labels had fallen off and thought it would be cool to take a big MK logo mapped out over all the rom sticker so that together they'd make a big logo. Of course I didn't have the patience to cut all of those by hand so I never did it. The thought crossed my mind again when doing the TMNT2 conversion. So this seemed like a great opportunity to try it out.

I'll probably go back and do similar stickers for other boards. Next time I might measure the chip spacing a little better. But as it is this looks way better than my normal sharpie over electrical tape labels.

Back