What's new

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
So some of you may have heard us mention that we were thinking of making some CPS2 communication pcbs for use with SSF2: TB so that anyone could put on their own tournaments and parties. It would be a clone of the original design and would plug into the B-board inside the case. Then if you had four (4) SSF2 B-boards you could install the TB roms and link them together to start your own tourneys.

Good news is this will work with the CPS2 multicart as long as you leave the side port available and dont use it for reset. See picture attached.

I plan to make a small batch on demand at cost price for those interested. I will release the gerber files for those who pledge in case they want to do themselves the PCBs.
Please NOTICE VERY IMPORTANT! In order to play tournament edition, you need to have 4 CPS2 systems with 4 communications PCBS connected together. If you don't then they'll boot as normal SSF2, without tournament.

Let us know in this thread if you would be interested and and how many you would want. Thanks! I foresee a price of 50 USD per PCB more or less but this is to be confirmed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• cps2_front_CommPCB_.jpg
    cps2_front_CommPCB_.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 1,114
This thread makes me regret selling my original Tournament boards... :(

So a set will be 200?

Will self making/sourcing be any chaper?

Hmmmm....Lets see,

I have:

4x Vewlixs with Taito Jamma Kits
3x DS CPS2 Multis

So I need 1 more multi or SSF2 board
plus the connecting cables
and these boards.

Ok, Im in for a set

Hmmmm....Lets see,

I have:

3x DS CPS2 Multis

and these boards.

Ok, Im in for a set
i think a ‘stock’ SSF2 board would need a ROM swap anyway, so any other CPS2 donor could work as well, correct?

Hmmmm....Lets see,

I have:

3x DS CPS2 Multis

and these boards.

Ok, Im in for a set
i think a ‘stock’ SSF2 board would need a ROM swap anyway, so any other CPS2 donor could work as well, correct?
Most likely, I guess they just need to have the comm jack available.

They link with s-video cables.

With comm jack @Derick2k would mean the side port on the B board where the comm PCB will plug in.

With comm jack @Derick2k would mean the side port on the B board where the comm PCB will plug in.
Right, I'm asking if the DS board will be all that we need, or if there is some additional piece of hardware that we'll need to acquire in addition to a normal ROM-swapped b-Board.

Right, I'm asking if the DS board will be all that we need, or if there is some additional piece of hardware that we'll need to acquire in addition to a normal ROM-swapped b-Board.
You just need 4 B-boards with SSF2:TB installed, 4 of these comm pcbs, three S-Video cables, and one S video jack that has been modified as a loopback for the fourth pcb. You can just cut the end off of one S video cable and splice two of the wires in the cable together.

Thanks Mitsu, that clears it up for me.

is there an effective limit on the S-Video length or can I use some of those 50ft monoprice S-video cables I have kicking around?

The manual says not to go over like 5 meters I think but I've used 50 ft cables without issue. Just buy good quality cables though. The cheap ones fail often which causes frustration to troubleshoot.

we want to make this available for everyone. We know is very specific for real tournament geeks but still if there's a small interest in the community we'll try to pull this through :thumbsup:

oh, no.... I don't have enough big blues...i can't run a 16p tournament. I didn't even start an 8p yet.

Back