What's new

Do you currently own a Naomi Netboot/CF setup?

• Total voters
just for the record - then DIMM poweron/reboot there no any 'loading'
during "CHECKING MEMORY xx%" it just calculating CRC32 of whole game content, to be sure its OK and not damaged.
in the case of Network boot (but not CF), size of CRC32-checked data (=time) can be shorten to almost not notable value
Not sure what MetalliC means by this but if there was some way to patch out the Checking Memory part that would be awesome! 8o

I've got 6 Net boot setups between NAOMI, NAOMI2, and Chihiro and none of them have ever given me any grief (with the exception of one NAOMI mobo that had a bent pin on it's cart connector and hasn't given me any problems since I fixed that)

With that said I'd be interested in a multi if... and only IF it allowed you to use a NAOMI with just a Capcom I/O because IMO the only real drawback is that all the equipment makes it difficult to get running in a normal JAMMA cab.

bonus if it fits inside a normal cart shell to keep it nice and compact.

I would literally bet you US currency that if you replaced and/or adjusted your power supply, your setup would work every time.
Is there a guide for doing this. I am good at following instructions, but haven't been able to find a guide with any of my searches. I have a Sun Electronics power supply model 400-5397-01.
With the NAOMI and everything connected and running as normal, use a volt meter / multi meter set to DC volts. Where the power cords connect at the NAOMI edge itself (filter board), you can insert the ground probe to any of the bottom row ground wires (all the same color). Leave and hold that probe there on ground. Use the red probe to check 5v and 3.3v wires (12v isn't a big deal and isn't adjustable anyway). You can probe those one at time no problem leaving the ground probe in place. Adjust using the pots on the sun PSU with a small phillips screwdriver carefully and slowly... if you have an extra set of hands ideally you can do this while the volt meter is connected, else check inbetween adjustments.

End goal is to have 5v at at least 5.10 but not over 5.18, and 3.3 at at least 3.3 (I go for 3.33v personally) while the NAOMI is running. This resolves the vast majority of the issues you described.

I also have had great luck with the vast majority of naomi hardware I've owned.

I have 3 Netboot setups, though two are Chihiro. Never had an issue after it was up and running outside of a corrupt SD card (and finding the right images for the right revision Chihiro).

I don't really see the need or point of a Naomi multi. I'd buy one, as I like supporting projects here, but netbooting seems to be a perfectly viable option, and if the CF card solution (for those with normal DIMMs) is anything like using CF cards on G-Net, that seems pretty solid too.

I get the "I don't like netbooting and GD-Roms are a pain, I just want to use carts" mentality, but in its current state that's eliminating most of the decent titles in the library. And I'd rather muck about with netbooting than go without a bunch of decent games.

What I *would* like is to not have to mess around with "cabinet settings" every other game change... That is infuriating, especially since the game won't tell you WHICH setting is the wrong one. Who cares if I have a 1P or 2P panel? Or set the screen to Vert or Hori? Or have free play turned on? etc. Actually, I'd settle for it just telling you which setting is wrong.

What I *would* like is to not have to mess around with "cabinet settings" every other game change... That is infuriating, especially since the game won't tell you WHICH setting is the wrong one. Who cares if I have a 1P or 2P panel? Or set the screen to Vert or Hori? Or have free play turned on? etc. Actually, I'd settle for it just telling you which setting is wrong.
I believe some of that could potentially be patched in the ROMs...

I'd also love it if I had a ROM set that was all free-play by default and automatically swapped the system to 1p/2p, vert/horiz as needed.

I also think there's potential to patch that out, given some games seem to (care|ignore|set) those values as they please.

The only reason I have my Naomi set is because I got a mobo free from @Derick2k! Since then I've hunted down the remaining parts I needed to get a full working set.

BUT, I would totally love a multicart for it instead of going through the cumbersome pi route. I know you can get the webtools working and select games through your phone if you wanted, but to me I'd rather have something similar to the CPS2 multi where I can select games at the hardware source rather than relying on network accessibility.

Not sure what MetalliC means by this but if there was some way to patch out the Checking Memory part that would be awesome!
Someone was working on this. They patched the 4.02 to skips these checks. I don't know if it was publicly released though.
How can this info be found? I wonder why the patch was not released? That would be a great time saver right there.

it was posted right here on ap

OK
I was thinking about an software on cf which is a menu to load games or something.
But in that case, it's quite useless too, since you still have loading time and it's better to swap cf then.

I have already found an solution for loading time, mainly improve it.
That's the main purpose of this

Thanks for the explanation/instructions @skate323k137

After adjustment I had an "error 21" the first power up. The second power up froze at 72%. The third time it worked! So the adjustment was definitely an improvement.

My cheap harbor freight meter was fluctuating between 5.9-5.11 on the 5 volt and 3.2-3.4 for the 3.3 volt.

I guess I'll have to test it some more to see if it gets better or worse.

Thanks for the explanation/instructions @skate323k137

After adjustment I had an "error 21" the first power up. The second power up froze at 72%. The third time it worked! So the adjustment was definitely an improvement.

My cheap harbor freight meter was fluctuating between 5.9-5.11 on the 5 volt and 3.2-3.4 for the 3.3 volt.

I guess I'll have to test it some more to see if it gets better or worse.
You'll need a more accurate meter for this job than the Harbor Freight version. The only thing that is good for is for continuity testing. What do you expect for something that is free.

Naomi fans-educate me. I already own a Dreamcast with a USB-GDROM ODE installed. I’m not seeing anything in the Naomi library that’s leaping out at me as a reason to justify owning one as well. Am I overlooking anything?
Considering you are a supergun guy, you're good where you are at. The Dreamcast has more value than the NAOMI. There are games on the Dreamcast not on the NAOMI like the ubiquitous Soul Calibur, then the later homebrews like Sturmwind. The graphical improvements that the NAOMI offers over the Dreamcast version are in the fighting game area. The extra frames are noticeable especially if you are a fighting game aficionado. But since you are shmup player, I don't think you'll notice the difference.

And that is another reason why there will never be a Darksoft NAOMI multi: the existence of the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast is the cheapest multi on the market at less than $40. Dreamcast also is very easy to connect to a JAMMA cab. The economics of niche already has 3 solutions competing with a Darksoft Multi. I am sure Darksoft knows this and that is why he has already declared it likely won't happen.

The graphical improvements that the NAOMI offers over the Dreamcast version are in the fighting game area. The extra frames are noticeable especially if you are a fighting game aficionado. But since you are shmup player, I don't think you'll notice the difference.
As a big fan of MvC2 & CvS2, I was always under the impression the DC ports were 99% accurate, the 1% being things like stutter/slowdown when too much animation going on at once as it can be in MVC2 and setting assists. I haven't read any thread that these games were missing frames. Since I possess both Naomi and DC versions, I'm curious, what kinds of scenarios/moves should I look in for obvious differences?

And that is another reason why there will never be a Darksoft NAOMI multi: the existence of the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast is the cheapest multi on the market at less than $40. Dreamcast also is very easy to connect to a JAMMA cab. The economics of niche already has 3 solutions competing with a Darksoft Multi. I am sure Darksoft knows this and that is why he has already declared it likely won't happen.
But thats where you are wrong, Darksoft doesnt do multis expecting to make crazy $$ at all, perfect example is the Deco Multi, he's probably sold like 6-7 kits??? He would have to sell each kit at like $10K to compensate for his R&D/production, etc. .. of that multi. Now he is making CPS2 communications boards at cost. Not to mention all the other things he has done free. I am sure when he's done with other stuff he will take a crack at the naomi.

I can guarantee you that most everyone will ditch the netboot/cf setups to be able to use the naomi with a simple multi that can most likely fit into a regular cart shell, hell maybe Darksoft will also solve the issue of keeping high scores saves while he's at it. :)

The graphical improvements that the NAOMI offers over the Dreamcast version are in the fighting game area. The extra frames are noticeable especially if you are a fighting game aficionado. But since you are shmup player, I don't think you'll notice the difference.
As a big fan of MvC2 & CvS2, I was always under the impression the DC ports were 99% accurate, the 1% being things like stutter/slowdown when too much animation going on at once as it can be in MVC2 and setting assists. I haven't read any thread that these games were missing frames. Since I possess both Naomi and DC versions, I'm curious, what kinds of scenarios/moves should I look in for obvious differences?
Sorry, not graphical improvements. There is a post on the subject over at shoryuken. If I find it again, I'll post it. But it is like you say, 99% accurate in a port. Getting down to the point of splitting hairs.

But thats where you are wrong, Darksoft doesnt do multis expecting to make crazy $$ at all, perfect example is the Deco Multi, he's probably sold like 6-7 kits??? He would have to sell each kit at like $10K to compensate for his R&D/production, etc. .. of that multi. Now he is making CPS2 communications boards at cost. Not to mention all the other things he has done free. I am sure when he's done with other stuff he will take a crack at the naomi.
I can guarantee you that most everyone will ditch the netboot/cf setups to be able to use the naomi with a simple multi that can most likely fit into a regular cart shell, hell maybe Darksoft will also solve the issue of keeping high scores saves while he's at it. :)
I don't know the inter-workings of Darksoft's business model, but I know his hardware productions fall under two categories: 1) Replicas and 2) Ground-up solutions. The hardware productions that are break-even are the replicas:
  • CPS3 repro cart
  • CPS3 SIMM's
  • CPS2 comm board
  • Deco Multi
All of these things are replicas built with off the shelf parts. The only things that were fabbed are the breadboards. Then they are assembled and QA'd. No ongoing support is needed since functionality is the same as the original. In the instance of the Deco Multi, he admits it himself, much of the solutioning was done by a predecessor. And it is likely the Darksoft Deco Multi is an improved replica of and earlier abandoned multi.

A NAOMI cart would require an extended ground-up solutioning effort and ongoing support, unlike the replication efforts listed above. Once that is factored in, then an ROI is needed. An ROI is only available in the market if the niche allows the product to be a viable alternative to the solutions already available, for which there are 3 stiff competitors: 1) Netbooting 2) CF Booting 3) A Sega Dreamcast. Those are some big hurdles to overcome before you enter the market with a solution that is likely to cost 2x more than the most expensive solution already on the market. A Naomi cart will only get ditched completely if it is close in price to a NetDimm, which it won't be. Given that, if Darksoft ever produces one, he is probably going to charge a premium for his efforts. Likely >$1,000 to fill the what 25 or so units that will fill demand? And if you think I am underestimating the demand, think about the demand for the MVS. He has 200 units in the initial batch, they still have not completely sold out. The NeoSD being on the market is an analogous factor that plays a part in the Neo Geo multi market much like the NetDimm/Dimm/Dreamcast would for a Darksoft NAOMI multi. Also, someone like me who has 5 NetDimm's, numerous regular Dimm's, and several Dreamcasts isn't going to buy a +$400 multi even if I own everything else Darksoft has made. Someone that just wants to taste Naomi nectar would sooner pick up a $200 NetDimm over a $400 Darksoft multi. So that leaves a select few that would pick it up because, well, they are ultra picky, plus the few converts. He knows all this and already has stated he doesn't see it happening.

I know a lot of the things that Darksoft has produced hasn't been motivated by $$. But doesn't mean economics don't play a part. Like, If I were to guess, the CPS2 comm boards are going to be assembled by hand. Sorry bud, I don't see it happening; too many hurdles. But best part about this discussion is not up to me. It's really up to the market. That is your only ray of light here. IMO, I only see 25 units in demand. You'd have to have this poll increase to a minimum of >100 before Darksoft discount accelerators kick in with his fabrication partners before anything happens.

Better look for it sooner than later. SRK announced this morning that they're shutting down the forums end of the month.
I saw that... aint that some shit. I'd recommend plugging in any important posts into archive.org for safe keeping. it seems they weren't planning on preserving any of the data once the forum is closed either. some people mentioned it in the comments of the announcement they they should try to preserve the data in an offline mode and the admins acted as if they'd never even considered that possibility.

Back