What's new

XtraSmiley

Legendary
Reaction score
So, I ordered the HAS, a few multis, and purchased a bunch of boards. The waiting begins...

In the meantime, I decided I need to get some tools to remove chips properly. I use to use a screw driver, but uh, this has not been ideal for me.

What I want to know is, what are some good tools to buy to help remove chips, like plastic chip wedges, IC tool removers etc. I'll be ordering for delivery in the US, so actual links to products is good. We no longer have Radio Shacks in Hawaii, so my go to place is long gone.

Thanks team!

I use a small thin screwdriver all the time for eproms and didn’t have any issues (or damage) yet...

My buddy @Sp33dFr34k has some removal tool he got from China, works quite well on MVS bios etc.
Perhaps he still has the link?

Thanks, I don't want to risk scratching under the chip, in case there is a trace there and 4-6 times out of 10 I end up bending the legs on the chip. I've seen some tools that let you pull the chip straight up, just wondering if there is a "best of" version out there.

Also, I think I saw some sort of plastic screw driver like tool on a youtube video to avoid scratching under chips, but I have no idea what I was watching. Maybe iFixit?

Any old IC extracter will do the job. They're cheap and there's not really much to them so there's no real 'best' version.

I'm cheap and just use the IC pullers lol, like the second link Pascal posted, the green one from Aliexpress. Never had an issue and believe if you're using the tool properly nothing more is needed. That said, the Digikey one does look amazing.

good price. and FWIW I use that tool for a lot more than just removing ICs, it's useful for helping release stubborn connectors, or when you need to flip a recessed dip-switch, or anything that you might grab a small screw driver to help you with.

the benefit of that over screwdriver is it has softened corners so it doesn't scratch up the stuff you're prying against.

Good quality tools are worth every penny, highly recommend:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jonard-tools/EX-2/K158-ND/6022

Also recommend these too, really good quality for the price point:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/apex-tool-group/170MN/170MN-ND/278946

I buy a lot of tools from DigiKey, some of it might not be the cheapest but almost everything they stock is great quality
Been using Xcelite Ds since 1987 and every shop I worked in used them. Have the same IC puller as well and its held up 10yrs of abuse. Good Recommends.

Large flat blade screwdriver for EPROMs - I don't like the IC pullers for EPROMs just because you really need leverage to get them out of the sockets and the large flat blade can provide pretty even leverage

For smaller socketed components, smaller screwdriver, IC puller or a PLCC puller works well

Awesome replies everyone! I'll leave this thread right here... for everyone to use!

Back