What's new
Still wish someone would have lag tested it by now. Especially since it's IPS, that's usually not a great sign for lag. 1080p is cool and all, but not if your arcade experience is suffering.

This monitor will do for me and I'm not too worry about the lag. Aren't the monitors on the FCs more than 10 years old? This one should be better in everything unless those sanwa monitors were light years ahead of their time when they came out.

The Sanwa was one of the worst looking LCD's too.
The IPS Alpha's (name of the company only, its LCD tech) that are in the Diamonds are the best I've seen.
8ZpqTr6.jpg

Still wish someone would have lag tested it by now. Especially since it's IPS, that's usually not a great sign for lag. 1080p is cool and all, but not if your arcade experience is suffering.
When I was first trying to do a project similar to Hadouken Arcade's, I went out to Microcenter and tried out all the 32 inch monitors with a Leo Bodnar tester. I didn't record exact numbers but I recall it was within a range that was extremely good for input lag (10-12~ ms).

I do have two of these monitors at home and I can toss up some tests for you once I figure out how people properly gather data/post results with this lag tester

tried out all the 32 inch monitors
I think "monitors" is the key word behind your (10~12ms) lag test... TV's are known for adding additional processing to "clean up" the final image.
Sometimes a "game mode" will disable these features, but sometimes you can do nothing to remove them.
Still wish someone would have lag tested it by now.
I would also like to see a lag test on this, but for me the bracket is the must have piece.
Potentially it could be further adapted to fit other model LG's (even tho this is outside of its creators intent and you can't expect support if you decide to modify).

Awesome work, I love seeing projects like these.

Can the controls for that monitor be relocated to the CP or inside the cab?

Being that this bracket has laid the ground work, I think it can adapted to work with other monitors, be a bit more universal.

This monitor will do for me and I'm not too worry about the lag. Aren't the monitors on the FCs more than 10 years old? This one should be better in everything unless those sanwa monitors were light years ahead of their time when they came out.
That's just not how it works sadly. Input lag is something you need to focus on as a feature, it's not something you just get because a monitor is 'newer'. That's why there's a whole genre of gaming monitors, and they're often not as nice in the picture quality department (they're fine, but you can do better) because there's always tradeoffs, and they're emphasizing speed.

Plenty of brand new monitors have awful input lag. You can of course choose to not care, but for me putting a monitor that adds any kind of lag into an arcade cabinet utterly defeats the entire point of having a cab. A low lag 720p screen beats a high lag 1080p every day of the week.

The IPS Alpha's (name of the company only, its LCD tech) that are in the Diamonds are the best I've seen.
Yeah, they look great. The 720p thing is just not an issue, if anything a lot of games look better with it, if you like the slight softening feel. I wouldn't worry about chasing resolution, it's more about it would be great to have replacement screens if you don't have a nice monitor or you've got issues or stuck pixels or whatever else.

When I was first trying to do a project similar to Hadouken Arcade's, I went out to Microcenter and tried out all the 32 inch monitors with a Leo Bodnar tester. I didn't record exact numbers but I recall it was within a range that was extremely good for input lag (10-12~ ms).
That would be great if it's true. You don't need to be a 'pro' to care about lag. Even casual gamers will have a better time with low lag, even if they're not really conscious of why. Make sure your twitch arcade games are responsive!

Agree input lag and motion blur are things that annoy me extremely when gaming, as soon as I notice it I just can’t keep playing, at least not long cause it gets too annoying.

At some point LG is going to make a 4k OLED in 32", it may still be many years away... But I'm sure its coming.
4k screens wouldn't matter for original JVS equipment users, however JAMMA+OSSC users benefit greatly from 5x at 1600x1200.
qhbTun6.jpg

That's just not how it works sadly. Input lag is something you need to focus on as a feature, it's not something you just get because a monitor is 'newer'. That's why there's a whole genre of gaming monitors, and they're often not as nice in the picture quality department (they're fine, but you can do better) because there's always tradeoffs, and they're emphasizing speed.
Plenty of brand new monitors have awful input lag. You can of course choose to not care, but for me putting a monitor that adds any kind of lag into an arcade cabinet utterly defeats the entire point of having a cab. A low lag 720p screen beats a high lag 1080p every day of the week.

Yeah, they look great. The 720p thing is just not an issue, if anything a lot of games look better with it, if you like the slight softening feel. I wouldn't worry about chasing resolution, it's more about it would be great to have replacement screens if you don't have a nice monitor or you've got issues or stuck pixels or whatever else.

Have you had any concrete results to back it up? I saw you were testing some Daimond Vewlixes for lag those have ips monitors same as this LG if I'm not mistaken. What is the difference between those vs an ips monitor of today?.

@Kaede No I told you a few posts ago...
Its NOT IPS panel tech, its still LCD!

That's just the name of the company who makes the LCD screen.
8ZpqTr6.jpg

IPS Alpha Technology, Ltd.
AX080B077H

Last edited by a moderator:
The IPS Alpha panels is I think using actual IPS tech, it's hard to find info, but what little I've dug up seems to indicated it. IPS = In Plane Switching, just a style of LCD, like TN (Twisted Nematic). Generally speaking IPS has great picture quality, which would explain why these panels look so good. IPS Alpha was either bought by Panasonic or is a subsidiary or something.

Regardless, the later panels are Panasonic branded, or at least my rev C ones are, and googling the model number does return a few limited Panasonic results.

ips-alpha.jpg

I have not been able to lag test them, the anti glare glass over them seems to be blocking my tester from picking up a signal, so I've got to strip a panel out of the frame and re-connect it to try again. Which I will do at some point, but that's a pain, and I'm busy, so not a priority.

I did shoot a slow motion video of a lag test with the IPS Alpha panel vs my known lag Ben Q and the IPS definitely has more lag. From watching the bars write in on the screen I'd estimate a frame more, but hard to be more exact than that. BenQ is a 2ms panel, so the Vewlix is likely in the 18-20ms range. Which isn't awful, but it's not great either. It's about what I can live with, anything more would be a tragedy, but it's not enough to really motivate me to replace them either. And I'd only do that if I had an absolutely tested 2ms panel that fit and was a useful rez.

I'd be surprised if the LG monitor has more 10ms of lag, I mean for a monitor it shouldn't be the case if it was a TV then..

Last edited:
Being that this bracket has laid the ground work, I think it can adapted to work with other monitors, be a bit more universal.
Possible but won't be so soon.

It will also require a NRE fee since I can't risk sitting with mountain of prototypes just to be scraped.

The IPS Alpha panels is I think using actual IPS tech, it's hard to find info, but what little I've dug up seems to indicated it.
Huh, I did some digging too and while I can't find anything that clearly states the AX080B077H is indeed an IPS LCD...
Information based on the construction of the LCD plant in 2008 states this was to allow for the production of 6,000 32" IPS panels a year.

Interesting because the Vewlix indeed uses a 32" screen and this would have been in production approx. sometime between 2010~2014.
Basically when the new factory constructed in 2008 was stated to be operational/finished.

Back