What's new
Some nice FPGA progress from 'rwk'. Current status (@SmokeMonster broke it down on twitter):

- Game is playable w/sprites only
- Finishing layer processors for graphics
- Next: Audio or MiSTer porting
- All 1st gen Cave PCBs will be "fairly" easy after DDP
- His work is based on an ESP Ra. De. PCB
- Everything open-source
- Another video in a few days

More reading here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming/comments/b9bypo/cave_1st_gen_core_wip_fpga/?depth=2

With this progress, I'm extremely hopeful at the prospect of a MiSTer to JAMMA solution in the future. I used to own all the early cave boards and would love to own them again, but the market value on these is so high I don't see that every happening. This would be as close to a perfect solution as I could hope for.
-ud

This is great, but still doesn't justify a MISTer purchase for me. MAME works fine on these titles. M2 works fine for the games they've done so far (Ketsui, Dangun Feveron).

Wake me when the CV1000 games are getting the proper treatment. Then I'll buy in.

"However since my graphic core runs much faster it does not have the same graphical slowdown. E.g., in Esp. Ra. De. in the Schoolyard level, on the cloaking spider boss explosion, the real hardware cannot keep up and the sprites for the scores lives etc disappear."

Positive: Very little input lag
Negative: Doesnt sound good. Danmakus without slowdowns is a frustrating experience :(

Doesnt sound good. Danmakus without slowdowns is a frustrating experience
+1.

Hopefully he intends to fix that. Otherwise it's kind of a pointless endeavor. The main complaint everyone has with the ports is the inaccurate slow-down. So this wouldn't actually be any better at all.

Yeah, I wonder if he'd be able to do it where you could choose original arcade PCB speeds and faster, you must be a Shmp God speed...

Very exciting stuff indeed!

I'm with you on the MAME front, it's pretty good, but I also think the more solutions and options the better. I'll finally snag one of these when it's matured to the point I like.

I'm concerned that he said his core runs the CPU much faster than the original, though. If the synthesized 68000 runs at the original 16MHz, and the video subsystem is accurate and clocked at the original 28.00MHz, it shouldn't be troublesome to get the delay to be correct.

If, however, he just means the maximum sprite bandwidth (hence the HUD not dropping out on ESP Ra. De., etc) then that won't affect the game speed. It shouldn't be a huge deal to measure the maximum bandwidth for the blitter and restrict the new core with it.

It's good that he's using ESP Ra. De. as a base for his work, as it and Guwange represent the most complicated superset of Atlus 68000 hardware. In particular, the sprites not only support scaling, but it also has some screwball GAL logic in place to inject an extra upper 4 bits of color depth to the sprite framebuffer during blits. This means that ESP Ra. De. and Guwange can not run on the previous boards that use this sprite chip (Dangun Feveron and, lol, Uo Poko). The older, previous-generation SPATTR 013 chip (the sprite chip) is missing the scaling, and isn't directly usable in the same way.

The Atlus 68000 games are only a stone's throw away from one another in terms of capabilities. The memory map, input bitfield definitions, and the sprite chip generation are the only real changes.

I posted this on April 1st:
but... it's not really a joke? That's DoDonPachi running on ESP Ra. De. (obviously with the graphics and sound ROMs unchanged, so it looks garbled). The primary challenge to running DoDonPachi on that hardware is that the sprite attributes are laid out differently in VRAM.

DP, and DDP, are like this:

Code:
Single sprite definition:
+0.w: code
+2.w: attr
+4.w: x
+6.w: y
+8.w: size
+A.w: n/a
+C.w: n/a
+E.w: n/a
ESP Ra. De, Dangun Feveron, Guwange, and Uo Poko are like this:

Code:
Single sprite definition:
+0.w: x
+2.w: y
+4.w: code
+6.w: attr
+8.w: x scale
+A.w: y scale
+C.w: size
+E.w: n/a
So, while DDP's memory map is so close to ESP Ra. De.'s, the issue remains that the sprite definitions are incompatible.
The hastiest thing to do is to modify the hardware, and invert an address line when the 68000 talks to Sprite RAM, but not the SPATTR 013 IC. With that you can unscramble the sprite data, but then DDP must also be instructed to set a scale value that leaves the sprites unscaled ($0101).

Of course, for the FPGA system's author, this is a trivial thing to support.

(This post is now derailing a little bit into the unscrupulous topic of "Can something be converted to DoDonPachi?")

A software fix for the sprite format mismatch is to hook into the end-of-frame vsync wait function, and iterate through the sprite table to swap longwords around in order to transform sprites. This is the first thing I did, and it does work. The downside is that this is very slow, and it causes slowdown when there are even a moderate number of sprites on screen.

The other, more laborious bit of work is to modify the sprite drawing routines in DDP to write sprite definitions in the correct order to begin with. Unfortunately, there isn't just a single spot from which sprites are written. Rather, the game was certainly programmed with a healthy amount of macros, so there are hundreds of places that sprite writes are done. You can expect thousands of lines of changes and nearly one hundred new / modified sprite routines. However, this method provides a working DDP that runs at the correct speed.

The second method is not a fun task, but it's the best one for making a multi and not cutting up a board, other than ROM socketing. This method has been completed, and the game runs on ESP Ra. De. without any errors. There is another non-Cave PCB that DDP can now run on, but you'll have to solve a genuine bug in DDP's code that is innocuous, but locks up the other board (because of varying behavior in latching /DTACK, which had to be solved with a logic analyzer!)

tl;dr: with changes, DP and DDP can run on an unmodified ESP Ra. De. PCB, and another non-Cave PCB; I'm not releasing the files, but with this FPGA solution I'm very happy that we probably will never have much of a need for them any longer. Let's see how the final thing turns out. it's open source, so if there are issues, maybe they can be addressed as well.

I'm concerned that he said his core runs the CPU much faster than the original, though. If the synthesized 68000 runs at the original 16MHz, and the video subsystem is accurate and clocked at the original 28.00MHz, it shouldn't be troublesome to get the delay to be correct.

If, however, he just means the maximum sprite bandwidth (hence the HUD not dropping out on ESP Ra. De., etc) then that won't affect the game speed. It shouldn't be a huge deal to measure the maximum bandwidth for the blitter and restrict the new core with it.
rwk said:
It runs a bit faster than the arcade version for now because I use a 60Hz V-sync interrupt instead of 57.55Hz.
Slowdown is present in later stages.
He now has backgrounds mostly working! https://www.reddit.com/user/rwk-/posts/

-ud

Fantastic, a port to MiSTer would be lovely simply because at the moment it is the de-facto standard (maybe Replay Board 2 will take over later) for open-source FPGA emulators. Jotego did have problems porting the 1943 core to MiSTer from MiST - hasnt managed to do it yet, fingers crossed this would be easier.

"Non-Stocked Lead-Time 20 Weeks" Not exactly an off the shelf item but it's cool that it's order able.

Last edited:
Yeah usually that's the case, but they did give single unit prices lol.

I wonder what the Altera EPM7032 (MAX 7000 Series) at U13 actually does.. Anyone who knows?
Since they are running in mame I guess someone figured them out? (cv1k that is)

Sorry for my dumb question, but MISTER FPGA is a retro ingenring like Analog NT or is it emulation?

Back