What's new
I wanted to post that I just got a chance to test this out.

There is a version of CTHR floating out there already that does work on Type 3. I believe it's posted on NEO-ARCADIA. It will even work with no zero key inserted, if I recall correctly. That's the one I have been booting. It has a screwy attract mode, but works otherwise.

The checksum of the game Darksoft posted is different than the other one.

This new one boots, and has a working attract mode, but it seems to freeze up in-game on me. I don't know if it's a voltage issue or what, but both versions of this game seem to be very picky about where 5v is set. I can't seem to find a sweet spot for the new one where it won't freeze up.

I confirmed that the I can play through games on the other version I have and this new one will freeze up with the same voltage setting.

I can confirm the in-game freeze. This version is unusable. Sucks because the attract mode is cool.

I can confirm the in-game freeze. This version is unusable. Sucks because the attract mode is cool.
how are you guys loading the game? netboot or CF? Which firmware do you have? Have you tried other games like MK2 or WMN?

MK2 is Triforce so don't try that one. lol

I believe I'm on the latest official firmware.

I netboot.

All driving games I have available for the system boot and work consistently when I get 5v dialed in. If 5v is too high or low, games will often reset once they get to attract mode, but sometimes in-game (I've had it happen on OR2SP).

Games include: OR2SP, WMMT 1 and 2, and the former CTHR release with buggy attract mode.

I currently have my system in 512MB mode.

I believe I'm on the latest official firmware.

I netboot.

All driving games I have available for the system boot and work consistently when I get 5v dialed in. If 5v is too high or low, games will often reset once they get to attract mode, but sometimes in-game (I've had it happen on OR2SP).

Games include: OR2SP, WMMT 1 and 2, and the former CTHR release with buggy attract mode.

I currently have my system in 512MB mode.
It's designed to work with CF/SSD. I all ask @Mitsurugi-w if he can confirm if it works well for him both in SSD and netboot.

It's designed to work with CF/SSD. I all ask @Mitsurugi-w if he can confirm if it works well for him both in SSD and netboot.
Does there end up being a significant difference between netbooting and loading from CF/SSD? I was under the impression that all loading methods are simply a means to load the same image onto the DIMM. Does the method used to load tend to impact stability once the image is loaded?

It's like in naomi. It's not related to any security issue but rather to an interrupt race. The game is prepared and sync'ed to run under some conditions. For that reason it assumes that certain events will not take more than x ms. But when loading from one or the other method the time lapsed is completely different and it may hang in a loop waiting for a response that will never happen as timing was different than expected.

it happens with naomi as well and it was the reason why some games couldn't be ported at the beggining from cart to netboot/cf.

not sure if I made myself clear ^^

I was under the impression that the chihiro saw the dimm as a drive.
It's like a SSD using flash, except that it is using ram instead.

Netboot, compact flash and gdrom are just different methods to get the game on the dimm.

I don't see how timing could differ depending upon the used method to get the game on the dimm.

Loading times obviously differ.

As a spinoff of some of my chihiro experiments, I tested some games.
One of them was Crazy Taxi Highroller. I used the one that was patched to run on chihiro 3 that has the intro problems.

I compared the bin file with the original (not running on chihiro 3) one and encountered patches on 3 different places.

The second and third one are in boot.id This file tells the chihiro what to boot normally and what to boot in game test mode.
The third one was simply a text that was padded with spaces 0x20 instead of zero's 0x00
The second one was a 0x00 that was patched into 0x01.

The first one was interesting. At address 0x4000 the 0x01 byte was patched into 0x00
This is basically right in the middle of the partition file allocation table. That table describes the clusters that are used by a file. The entries are 16 bit long. So, we see just before that 0x00 0x18 and than again 0x00 0X18 after that we get 0X02 0x18

So, grab your favorite hex editor and change the 0x00 0x18 into 0x01 0x18 (at address 0x4000)
Save the bin file and netboot it to your chihiro.

Just let me know how it works out for you.

Hello is there a version that runs on type 3 hardware?

thanks for the help but i know too little about it!

I have now found a version of what is possible but there is no demo mode abert game does not freeze and runs

Back