What's new

BladeZX

Professional
Reaction score
Awesome - I cannot wait to do some testing with my Raspberry Pi and pcb I designed that should arrive today

BladeZX

Professional
Reaction score
It has arrived

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 30

BladeZX

Professional
Reaction score
Plugged it into my RPi with USB1 using micro USB to USB - Pi does not seem to see it

UPDATE:

I did a ls -l /dev/* with it plugged in and unplugged and it looks like this would be it

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Apr 28 15:12 /dev/ttyACM0

That look right?

Last edited:

electric_monk

Student
Reaction score
That might be it, just run screen /dev/ttyACM0 and hit enter and see ;) dmesg normally prints out things when Linux finds a standard USB class device.

To answer the questions, USB0 is high speed indeed (480Mbps) and USB1 is full speed (12Mbps). SD is pretty fast but USB seemed to be faster, but I've only ever tested with a random cross section of memory (e.g. not specifically seeking out fast or slow ones).

I'm probably going to move away from the USB stack that NXP provide (which is the same one as used on some USB host Arduinos, I think), as it's causing a lot of minor issues (mostly it'll deadlock waiting for registers and things, usually USB3 devices cause it) by writing my own USB stack, so I'm hoping that'll also improve USB performance too.

BladeZX

Professional
Reaction score
@electric_monk
Yea it worked
I can list the USB directory just fine
I am using a USB 3 flash drive so I am wondering if I will have issues

mathewbeall

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hi @electric_monk - i have a first gen ODE (no mounting holes), and had an issue on my 256 when I had the molex powering the ODE AND had it connected up to a Rpi (blade's multi). It blew a fuse on the 256 somewhere so no 5v anymore coming from the molex.

During my testing - having the ODE powered off the 256 motherboard and my Rpi powered off a wall wart - everything was fine.

When I tried to take power off the molex and power BOTH the ODE and the Rpi - thats when I blew a fuse (or something) - but other than the molex not having 5v, the 256 motherboard and everything else seems to work fine.

I then realized that the ODE can be powered via the Rpi usb connection, so no need to plug in the molex at all.

Can you comment on this behaviour? I know Blade has a newer rev of the board and he has both the molex plugged in and the Rpi connection powered from the motherboard and/or molex with no issue.

Thanks!

Matt