What's new
I tried a Kingston USB stick (Datatraveler G4 8GB, it has something wrong with it where it only runs at USB1 speeds even in my Mac/etc. though it's supposed to support USB3) and that also booted okay with that same firmware, so I'm a little flummoxed right now. It'll definitely be interesting to see if the SD card works any better, otherwise I'll try and make a firmware that can help debug the issue.

I couldn't get it to work either and I had the game on a SD card.

@nem With the updated firmware linked a few posts back? Were you able to capture any "monitor" output and if so did it lock up at the same point?

Oh oops, missed that bit. Not with the updated firmware, with the stock one. Nevermind.

exact same behavior with SD card - although as mentioned before, my SD card slot is so touchy it's very difficult to use. Luckily the multi setup doesn't require it.

Very odd. I've now tried different IDE cables and also every combination of DIP switches on my 246C, and a bunch of PCBs and I cannot make it not work. These questions only really make sense if your USB stick and SD card are set up the same, but are there any other files? What filesystem are they formatted? If the monitor command/USB interface lock up even using the SD card (so the USB ports aren't doing anything except the command line interface) it's an odd sign in itself.

Just a question I have: does Time Crisis 3 work with the ODE? It behaves exactly like Bloody Roar 3 with the whole setup buff ram or something like that. Other games don’t do that.

Awesome! I suspect that it wouldn’t have issues because it runs off of DVD media but we may never know if it hasn’t been tested for a second time.

Anything special I have to do on a stock 246 to get Time Crisis to boot? Do I need some sort of special cart - I get the blue screen and the dings, and then just a black screen.

Anything special I have to do on a stock 246 to get Time Crisis to boot? Do I need some sort of special cart - I get the blue screen and the dings, and then just a black screen.
The game boots without an i/O pcb. But I think this game is sadly having the same issue bloody roar 3 has 😔

Ok - for some reason I couldn't get it to boot at all - no screen or anything past the initial beeps.

OK... so circling back to me being too tired to figure things out on my own like an adult, I now have the IDE Simulator board and while I am gathering the bits for the Raspberry Pi controller how would I go about testing it out? I see talk of firmware etc, but not sure what the actual setup or control process is. Have a 256GB USB drive and OTG cable, but what format is utilized for the images (ISO, etc)?

Sorry for being daft, been a long week...

Ok - here is a status on getting Bloody Roar 3 to work. It ended up being vastly simpler than I expected. Thanks to @electric_monk (!!) for spending time to troubleshoot my setup.

Electric_Monk's ODE doesn't support the TOC/BIN format. Most of us probably grabbed the CHD images off of Mega and used the script there to extract them all to their native formats. This script converts the 3 CD's to BIN/TOC instead of BIN/CUE. If you modify the script to run chdman and specify a .cue file instead of .toc - everything works as expected!

Also (since this got me) - if you are creating files outside of that script, or are renaming them - you have to match up the filename in the .cue file to the .bin filename... :)

Everything is buttoned back up on my 246 setup now and all is working!

Matt

Last edited:
Back