What's new
Those terminals aren't really suited for the wire gauge you're using, double stuffed.
i ended up switching these to a smaller gauge the little jumpers for the speakers
IMG_6984.jpeg

New marquees installed. Wish I knew I needed a heat gun. Got it off but way more of a PITA than I was expecting. Last step new monitor 😁

IMG_7006.jpeg

IMG_7005.jpeg

I don't wanna count my chickens before they hatch but - put a deposit down on this bad boy. Hope to bring it home within a week or two.

354762225_1254000701892321_3961934712226344289_n.jpg
Nice. I saw this one
I believe the screen is broken. But it's still a very uncommon cab. You'll like it for Sega Model 2/3 boards.

Nice. I saw this one
I believe the screen is broken. But it's still a very uncommon cab. You'll like it for Sega Model 2/3 boards.

Every cab so far I’ve had to send the monitor to sharp image repair so I kinda took that on the chin yet again. Figure just needs a new Astro city control panel - monitor repair and buttons (i hope - famous last words). Should look pretty spiffy after a cleaning.

May try to put VF3 in there. Trying to fight the urge to dive in immediately due to me having no more dollars to my name.

Last edited:
IMG_7254.jpeg

Crap the wiring is a bit screwed up. Why would someone cut these? They are hanging down by the door. I guess they cut the original control panel harness connectors and bypassed them. For the 4 button neo geo setup? McPoop. Not sure what the connector next to the jamma connector is either. Is that my extra buttons?

IMG_7257.jpeg

IMG_7256.jpeg

IMG_7253.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks like someone couldn't find AMP UP connectors, cut the wires off the original Astro's connectors (the dangling ones) and did up the more common Molex ones. I can only assume and hope this was done a long time ago when AMP UP connectors were really hard to find in the US. Hopefully there's enough slack to fix it without having to try too hard. I've had mixed results depinning AMP connectors. Maybe someone has some tips on how to do it, though you wouldn't be missing much starting from scratch.

The 10 pin connector is the kick/extra buttons harness and should be 1:1 with the 10 pin under the control panel. Hopefully they didnt mess that up at least.

That looks like someone couldn't find AMP UP connectors, cut the wires off the original Astro's connectors (the dangling ones) and did up the more common Molex ones. I can only assume and hope this was done a long time ago when AMP UP connectors were really hard to find in the US. Hopefully there's enough slack to fix it without having to try too hard. I've had mixed results depinning AMP connectors. Maybe someone has some tips on how to do it, though you wouldn't be missing much starting from scratch.

The 10 pin connector is the kick/extra buttons harness and should be 1:1 with the 10 pin under the control panel. Hopefully they didnt mess that up at least.
Thinking of getting a whole new loom although that’s probably be pricey. I thought I could use a Astro / new Astro control panel harness for 6 buttons too but I think Astro City 2 may be different. Thanks for the detailed response, I think you are right on the money.

I would be surprised if the Astro 2 is any different than the other Sega cabinets. You'll want to get new control panel harnesses for sure but those are easy to come by.

It would be much easier to repair the cabinet harness than to source or create a whole new one.

I actually just posted a list for the parts you would need in another thread:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/looking-for-correct-sega-connectors.27158/#post-395347

Just cut the molex connectors off and put amp connectors back in their place. I'd be willing to do the repair for you (or some other members here too I'm sure) if you feel like pulling and mailing the harness but really it shouldn't be too bad. It's just a lot of tedious crimping.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the Astro 2 is any different than the other Sega cabinets. You'll want to get new control panel harnesses for sure but those are easy to come by.

It would be much easier to repair the cabinet harness than to source or create a whole new one.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/looking-for-correct-sega-connectors.27158/#post-395347

Just cut the molex connectors off and put amp connectors back in their place. I'd be willing to do the repair for you (or some other members here too I'm sure) if you feel like pulling and mailing the harness but really it shouldn't be too bad. It's just a lot of tedious crimping.
I popped out some pins on the amp up and moved them before, could pull it off just lots of wires like you said to work on.

—-

Do you guys use tubs or how do you store spare / original parts for each cab you own? Seems like generally one tub will do it but curious, how you guys stay organized.

IMG_7259.jpeg

So I grabbed the Astro city p1 p2 and extra button harnesses and you are right they all plugged in fine. Wondering if the wire colors could be slightly different? The seller I bought a spare Astro CP harness from had a listing for “Astro and new Astro” compatible harness and one specifically for “Astro City 2”. Assuming whatever the difference is like you said is not major or anything at all.

Guess I need to grab an Astro City 2 manual and answer some of my own questions. Always appreciate the help and never hearing “search the forums loser” haha thanks everyone.

I popped out some pins on the amp up and moved them before, could pull it off just lots of wires like you said to work on.

—-

Do you guys use tubs or how do you store spare / original parts for each cab you own? Seems like generally one tub will do it but curious, how you guys stay organized.

IMG_7259.jpeg
I use the 27" black tubs with yellow lids from home depot to store my candy panels. They fit perfectly and you can stack them 3 in a row just fine. I throw cardboard or bubble wrap on them and good to go!

Back