What's new

aj2k

Student
Reaction score
Hi all,

I swapped out my Type 1 IO board last night with a brand new Type 3, as I’m trying to add Gun controls to my Naomi Upright, and use with Chihiro & Lindy etc...

I thought the gunboard connected to the additional CN9 port that my older IO board didn’t have, but looking at the wiring that the two different gun boards I have, it looks like some of the wires/controls go into the larger CN3 connecter, and some split to go to the CN6.

My 2player fighter control board uses these too, so I’m wondering if I can actually have both the gun setup and the fight setup ready to go at once. Is it possible?

Last edited:
Guns split in 2 : analog axis and on the other plug buttons.
You can plit buttons inputs to your panel and your gun board. Or you can use 2 IOs and switch USB plug on motherboard when you want to change game type.

... Or you can use 2 IOs and switch USB plug on motherboard when you want to change game type.
This is a great idea! Do you know if a manual USB switch box would work here? I could in theory have few setups ready to go and just turn a switch!

I'm guessing gun games need the coin, player 1 and player 2 start though... plus the test/service buttons etc... so I'm not sure how that would work.

So, it's just not possible to have one wired solution, for both guns and 2player fighters?
No one has made a programmable box that you can throw everything into and select different profiles?

I swapped out my Type 1 IO board last night with a brand new Type 3, as I’m trying to add Gun controls to my Naomi Upright, and use with Chihiro & Lindy etc...
not really necessary, I believe 2 Spicy needs the type 3 but none of the other gun games on NAOMI Chihiro or Lindberg do. I think The type 3 might be incompatible with Lupin the Shooting, so you may want one game or the other depending on which game is more important to you(I looked it up it's Type 2 that Lupin doesn't work with, Type 3 should be fine). I believe the Matvei Lindbergh Multi has 2 Spicy patched to work with the Type 1 IO as well... so there's that.

I thought the gunboard connected to the additional CN9 port that my older IO board didn’t have, but looking at the wiring that the two different gun boards I have, it looks like some of the wires/controls go into the larger CN3 connecter, and some split to go to the CN6.
No, CN9 is just for lamp output. the only reason some Lindbergh games require the Type 3 is because they have a huge number of blinking lights on the cab, they're completely unnecessary for gameplay.

CN6 is for analog controls and the Gun IO uses this connector for the X and Y position of the guns on the screen, but it also uses CN3 for the trigger, and "screen out" signal, most gun games may also need additional buttons on CN3 such as the reload signal for HOTD3, alt fire and fire mode switches on Ghost Squad, or the foot-pedal on 2 Spicy and HOTD EX. These would be wired directly from the gun to CN3 without touching the Gun IO though.

Last edited:
I use original games and all IOs are not accepted by all games. I sometimes switch type 1-2-3. There's no universal IO. Someone made a chart of compatibilities here, wasn't you @twistedsymphony ?
You can't use USB as a PC USB port, Sega use this plug but not it's not USB protocol. If you want to a switch, use db9 switch and build custom cables.

I use original games and all IOs are not accepted by all games. I sometimes switch type 1-2-3. There's no universal IO. Someone made a chart of compatibilities here, wasn't you @twistedsymphony ?
yes: NAOMI Net-Boot BIOS and I/O Board Compatibility Chart

I've personally tested all NAOMI Chihiro and Lindbergh gun games that can be netbooted or are on the multi on Type 1, 2, and 3 IOs.

Most games will work on all 3 with the big exceptions being the two games I mentioned: 2Spicy and Lupin the Shooting.

Out of curiosity what gun game do you switch to a Type 2 IO for? AFAIK no gun games originally came with that IO, it was mostly used for fishing and driving games

Actually I have a type 2 in my Ghost Squad cabinet (I think it's in this cabinet). Don't know why, but seems to be original. I've changed it momentarily for type 3 to play 2Spicy!, but type 2 is still inside the cabinet and used now, cause of different plugs and I prefer to keep original wiring. Now I prefer play 2Spicy! on Virtua Cop 3 cabinet (using the 2 pedals), and on a Confidential Mission modified cabinet (with 2 pedals and VC3 guns).
I know some games refuse type 3, cause I have type 1 + 3 in VC3 cabinet. But I can't remember which ones.

You can plit buttons inputs to your panel and your gun board...
just picking up on this option @Gakman - So let’s say the reload on the gun and the guard button on Virtua fighter both are fighting for the same space on the 60-pin connector (33, P1 SW3 for example) - are you saying I could have a wire coming from each and connect them together before going into the 60-pin? So one wire from two different ‘buttons’ ?

If so, is there anything to watch out for - and any connector that I can buy that does this nicely?

are you saying I could have a wire coming from each and connect them together before going into the 60-pin? So one wire from two different ‘buttons’ ?
Yes of course, just wire the buttons in parallel, not series.

are you saying I could have a wire coming from each and connect them together before going into the 60-pin? So one wire from two different ‘buttons’ ?
Yes of course, just wire the buttons in parallel, not series.
Awesome - Sorry, such a noob and also being super careful as I don’t want to damage anything!

So could I use these, as a nice neat way of linking both the coloured wire and and white ground wire from both? I plan to match the gun reload for the HOTD3 guns and whatever the button from the fight panels are so I don’t have to swap things out.

Last edited:
Yes.
Ground is common, you can just linkk every buttons with the same wire. Just split the coloured wire to the 2 switchs.

Back