What's new
Hey Nem, yeah I never plugged it in backwards, but this is a great thing to note. If you plug in a PCB the wrong way, would it impact the PCB or the Jamma?
You'd be repairing or replacing your PCB if you plugged it in backwards. Depending on how well/poorly the PCB is designed.

You'd be repairing or replacing your PCB if you plugged it in backwards. Depending on how well/poorly the PCB is designed.
Makes sense. I 100% did not plug it in backwards. I made sure the "UPSIDE" on my Jamma Connector was shown before plugging it and verified that it was correct before turning it on by discussing with other Capcom Minicute Repro owners who went the Mistercade route.

Alright, everyone, I've come back with an update @rewrite @nem @AlxUnderBase

I tested the pins with the Mistercade connected and everything running, here are the results:

5V Pin: 5.06V

12V Pin: 12.33V

Thank you all for your continued patience with a new member such as myself. Hopefully, we can try something else after this if this leads us to an inconclusive result. I'm learning a ton so I'm really glad you guys are willing to help. I can always purchase a board if this seems odd.

I'd put money on the mistercade at this point.

Wiring isn't an issue, button isn't an issue, voltages aren't an issue.

Any chance at a clean hi-res shot of the top of the mistercade? With the cover plate thing off. The board level with the JAMMA edge connector on it. Buttons go through a resistor and a diode right off of the pin.

Hey Rewrite, yes I can do that give me some time and I'll send the picture over, what could be wrong with the Mistercade? Maybe the edge is damaged?

I'm not sure how the JAMMA/CHAMMA switch works on these. You have it pushed towards the standoff, right?
what could be wrong with the Mistercade? Maybe the edge is damaged?
Well, I'm hoping to see if there's something visibly broken.

Attachments

• IMG_6522.jpg
    IMG_6522.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6521.jpg
    IMG_6521.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 37
I wonder about the two missing diodes and the two other components next to them that got hit with a soldering iron at some point.

Yeah, I checked other pics of a Mistercade v1.2 and they have those diodes. The North side of those two components to the right of the "On" silkscreen are a dead giveaway it's been mucked with with a normal soldering iron and didn't happen during production. Did you buy this new?

I wonder about the two missing diodes and the two other components next to them that got hit with a soldering iron at some point.

Yeah, I checked other pics of a Mistercade v1.2 and they have those diodes. The North side of those two components to the right of the "On" silkscreen are a dead giveaway it's been mucked with with a normal soldering iron and didn't happen during production. Did you buy this new?
Got this from someone who showed it being tested, guess they must have screwed it up pretty badly and tricked me. I would never attempt to mess with the Mistercade / as PCB as I wouldn't want to damage it. Looks like I'm out a pretty big chunk then which is my fault. I can attempt to get a refund or I can just suck it up and wait until November to order another. Thank you for identifying the issue, I apologize if I wasted your time.

Got this from someone who showed it being tested, guess they must have screwed it up pretty badly and tricked me. I would never attempt to mess with the Mistercade / as PCB as I wouldn't want to damage it. Looks like I'm out a pretty big chunk then which is my fault. I can attempt to get a refund or I can just suck it up and wait until November to order another. Thank you for identifying the issue, I apologize if I wasted your time.
Oh you certainly haven't done anything wrong. The seller on the other hand certainly needs a swift kick in the shins for sending this along clearly having had worked on it prior, even if they didn't realize the issue existed, they knew it was worked on and clearly didn't disclose that. Those diodes aren't broken off, because you can see where the iron had touched the components beside the missing diodes.

On the upside, this isn't a total loss at all. Not even close. I'd very likely imagine you just need two diodes, and about 3 minutes with a soldering iron. Happy to replace them for you free of charge if you don't have anyone local who can solder, so long as maybe we can get @misteraddons to let me know what the values are on the diodes there so I can order them.

I'd certainly bring it to the seller's attention and at least ask them to cover the cost of repair (assuming it's an easy fix), or take it back. There is no world in which this is your fault. And you've certainly wasted no one's time!

Reactions: nem
You can see on both of these where they got touched with the hot iron and aren't nice and uniform like the rest of the SMD components.

IMG_6521.jpg

When the seller originally sent it to me, I realized something was wrong when testing so I asked them immediately. They claimed nothing had been done with it whatsoever and they were selling their cab, clearly, that isn't the case. I'd totally be down to Ship it to you, pay you, and pay for whatever the costs are to get the diodes, it won't be a problem at all. Thank you all for your time. I thought I mentioned I bought this from a 3rd party but that was on a Discord server discussing this awhile ago.

Hi everyone, @rewrite and I figured out the problem!

The missing diodes weren't the issue, it was the Mistercade top plate! For whatever reason, it was shorting the B button, for the time being, I will just leave it disconnected.

Thank you everyone for all of your help!

Back