What's new
Want To Buy
Yeah, those two threads OP bumped are long gone... no chance of getting anything from those, honestly.

I also think you need to be realistic about what you are going to get for $4K total... you'd be lucky to get two of those games at current market prices. Maybe three if you get the lower cost games (DS1/2, Ibara). I would also advise against buying a DS2 board, they are notoriously unreliable and it'll probably be an expensive paperweight in short order.

Also, please consider introducing yourself; users who are better known to the community tend to build more trust and connections, and are thus more likely to get first dibs or better deals when this stuff does pop up.

Good luck!

Good point, @kazuo. I'll post an introduction shortly. And thanks for the DS2 advice.

Yeah, for $4k, I'm not expecting all of those games or anything. I'm pretty sure I have a realistic view of what that can get.

Not going to be a popular opinion, but 4k will almost buy you an exA with either SDOJ or AK. Buying one may result in some day having new arcade shmups for everyone to enjoy (possibly, maybe).

That's a good point, @nem. It's an option I've considered and haven't ruled out. The biggest thing is my cabinet has a 15 kHz CRT in it, and that isn't supported by the exA. So then it's either upgrade my monitor, build/buy a new cab, or play it on a modern display out of a cabinet.

C07E5F99-0F82-4FDF-88B3-EBE04F5443A3.jpeg

Personally, I wouldn't purchase anything over 100k on YAJ. There is literally zero buyer protection; Yahoo will not step into buyer/seller disputes. I just got burned on two "fully working" PVM-9044s in a row, and there's nothing I can do about it. YAJ is always a gamble.
This is not true.

Many sellers on yahoo are shops.

In example, yugen2 is BEEP itself

^ Buying from a shop and buying from an individual seller are two completely different things ^

That's like buying a car from Jack down the street versus buying one from Jeff's Auto World.

Yahoo will not step into individual disputes between buyers and sellers; if a seller decides to burn you, Yahoo will not help. If it's a brick a mortar store then you have a lot more recourse. They have a reputation to protect, and in the event of fraud, it makes doing a credit card chargeback a hell of a lot easier. However, not even that is guaranteed. Have you ever tried returning anything in this country? It's up to the shop's discretion on used items. I've received some refunds and denied others around Akiba, especially if the problem in question is subjective like acceptable amounts of video noise.

^ Buying from a shop and buying from an individual seller are two completely different things ^

That's like buying a car from Jack down the street versus buying one from Jeff's Auto World.

Yahoo will not step into individual disputes between buyers and sellers; if a seller decides to burn you, Yahoo will not help. If it's a brick a mortar store then you have a lot more recourse. They have a reputation to protect, and in the event of fraud, it makes doing a credit card chargeback a hell of a lot easier. However, not even that is guaranteed. Have you ever tried returning anything in this country? It's up to the shop's discretion on used items. I've received some refunds and denied others around Akiba, especially if the problem in question is subjective like acceptable amounts of video noise.
Yes, I bought from shops and returned several times ( surugaya , so many defective pcbs).

In yahoo, some sellers are shops with return policy. Just read item description- yugen2 will provide returns and pcb fixing.

^ You are missing my point entirely: Yahoo itself will not help you. In the event that the store has a return policy, you are dealing with the store, not Yahoo. That return policy is not enforced by Yahoo, it is being upheld by BEEP because they don't want their reputation to be tarnished.

I am referring to cases like if you or I bought an expensive PCB that was damaged and decided to offload it on somebody else via YAJ. There's nothing the buyer could do other than leave us a negative review.

^ You are missing my point entirely: Yahoo itself will not help you. In the event that the store has a return policy, you are dealing with the store, not Yahoo. That return policy is not enforced by Yahoo, it is being upheld by BEEP because they don't want their reputation to be tarnished.

I am referring to cases like if you or I bought an expensive PCB that was damaged and decided to offload it on somebody else via YAJ. There's nothing the buyer could do other than leave us a negative review.
Yes but very very unlikely. It won't happen, just check seller feedback.

I would also advise against buying a DS2 board, they are notoriously unreliable and it'll probably be an expensive paperweight in short order.

Not anymore ;) With a nice modular PSU, an SSD, tidy cabling and 2 noctua fans mounted, they don't skip a beat!

The original card reader and PSU is garbage and most of them over heated because there was zero airflow in the case!

Here's how mine looks inside:

Yb2Obwe.jpg

Here's how messy it looks when it shipped:

1274705978.jpg

One of the most underrated CAVE games. Don't let the Hardware put you off!

How did you improve airflow in the case? Is tidying the cables really going to make that much of a difference?

IMO, damage is done, many of these have seen long hours in Arcades under less than ideal conditions. Unless you can get one that's had low usage, I'd still continue to advise avoiding them unless there's some detail I am missing.

We're derailing this thread at this point though... maybe we need a dedicated DS2 thread? ;)

How did you improve airflow in the case? Is tidying the cables really going to make that much of a difference?

I added a 60cm Noctua fan on the side (intake) and another one on the top (exhaust). Along with the tidy cabling, the airflow is vastly improved. I didn't mod the case btw, I got creative with the vents - will take pics.

IMO, damage is done, many of these have seen long hours in Arcades under less than ideal conditions. Unless you can get one that's had low usage, I'd still continue to advise avoiding them unless there's some detail I am missing.

Even brand new these were bad from factory - the CF card reader and card are not great. Slow and prone to failure. the key is to keep the motherboard cool and use something sensible like a SATA SSD. It's actually a decent motherboard for the time (MA78GPM).

We're derailing this thread at this point though... maybe we need a dedicated DS2 thread? ;)
Free and informative bump for his potential purchase :p

Back