What's new
@tonyt76 thank you for running those programs, good to see that the Startech PCI-E to IDE is working :D

I have made a new version of gcfi you can test, it removes the test for master and is considered a beta.

-- removed --

Last edited:
@rtw I couldnt get the sata to cf adapter to recognize the cf card at all :(

I am using a Startech PCI-E to IDE card.

Thank you for clearing that up, did the new version of the program work ?

You might have to remove the -p flag :)

Thank you for clearing that up, did the new version of the program work ?

You might have to remove the -p flag :)

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 119
That is Windows own security not allowing you to write to disk 0.

But all is good really, you only need the PCI-E to CF setup to get the security sector, now you can just use a normal USB memory card reader and you should be all set.

I usually put the security sector as the volume label of the card: 0x3232

That is Windows own security not allowing you to write to disk 0.

But all is good really, you only need the PCI-E to CF setup to get the security sector, now you can just use a normal USB memory card reader and you should be all set.

I usually put the security sector as the volume label of the card: 0x3232
Thanks for all of your help!

So you’re saying once I know the security sector, I can use a usb to cf adapter with gcfi?

@tonyt76 - Exactly! You only need to use the PCI-E to CF adapter to get the security code. Once you have that - I would write it on the card, so you don't forget it, and you can write images all day long with GCFI via a simple usb adapter.

Matt

Would it help to run gcfi in a command prompt with administrator rights to fix the windows security issue not allowing to write to some devices?

gcfi must already be run from an elevated prompt to do anything. The write to drive 0 is blocked by Windows itself.

@rtw using a SATA to CF adapter works!

I purchased 2 different adapters and neither adapter recognized my 512MB CF card, but they both see my 2GB CF card with no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
That might be because your CF Card reports itself as a fixed disk.

Your listphys image is a bit cropped so I cannot see if it says removable :D

You were right, windows sees it as a fixed disk.

Is there a minimum size for a fixed disk in windows?

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpeg
    IMG_1050.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

You were right, windows sees it as a fixed disk.
Is there a minimum size for a fixed disk in windows?
No there is not, but most CF cards will not be fixed disks. Only industrial cards will be registered as a fixed disk.

You were right, windows sees it as a fixed disk.Is there a minimum size for a fixed disk in windows?
No there is not, but most CF cards will not be fixed disks. Only industrial cards will be registered as a fixed disk.
So it looks like when using a IDE to CF adapter, Windows can see all CF cards, Fixed & Removable.

When using a SATA to CF adapter, Windows can only see CF cards that are Fixed.

Last edited:
Another difference, some compact flash cards support udma transfer modes and others don't.
Maybe the sata to compact flash adapter expects it to work?

ok so from what I gather here I need some sort of ide or sata to compact flash adapter. Can anyone recommend something? I have around 10 pcs, a few with windows 7 so I'm sure I have IDE somewhere if that is the easier option. Is windows 10 ok for reading the security sector or do I need an older OS for that? Is there a guide for people completely clueless trying to do this? I recently bought the board mitsu sells and didn't realize it was a pain to write compact flash cards. I have a few netdimms so not a huge deal if I can't get this working, but I thought it would be cool to have some games on compact flash cards.

Back