What's new
jumpers, not these dipswitch right?
Yes Jumpers, though, I don't know what the dip-switches do so I wouldn't rule that out either. I don't know if you have a manual, maybe there is some info in it?

the only info I can find related to Chihiro jumpers is for DIMM and Netbooting:
1 - ?
2- ?
3- ?
4- ?
5 - 1-2:1GB DIMM | 2-3:512MB DIMM
6- ?
7- ?
8 - 2-3:Default
9 - 1-2:GD-ROM | 2-3:Network
10 - 1-2:Default

Maybe @winteriscoming can confirm his jumpers or any other info related to card readers since he's done a lot of work with these.

EDIT: I just had another thought, are you using compatible card readers? if the card readers you're using aren't designed for your specific version of WMMT they may not work.

My first instinct is that there is a potential issue with the jumper settings that is causing the serial port to not communicate properly. I know some other hardware requires the jumpers set a certain way to function properly with certain serial devices.

of course a good first step is to get everything upgraded and region matched.
jumpers, not these dipswitch right?
IMG_4677.jpg

there are my jumpers on the media board:
IMG_4681.jpg
IMG_4682.jpg

...and back to question #1: Can I upgrade directly from the bin in the first post?

Thanks again for the help
There are also jumpers on the board by the battery, accessible by removing the top stack of the Chihiro. I don't recall what the specific jumpers do, but here's how they're configured for me.
IMG_20201103_0905266.jpg

Also, for me, one of my WMMT cabs has really finicky wiring. If I look at it wrong, FFB stops working. The fact that the wheel moved during the self check is only an indicator that your JVS I/O is wired and working correctly. One of the outputs from the I/O controls a line going to the FFB board referred to as "power", which it sinks at specific times. The process for initiating self test (i.e. the wheel moves) is done solely with the "power" input and can happen even if serial is disconnected.

so I am running Wangan maximum tune (1) in a wangan maxime tune 3 cab and I have the following issue:

If I connect the 8 pin JST coming from the card reader and the STR2 J104 board ( so the 2 RX/TX/GND serial ) to the Chihiro CN5 8 pin connector, as per the wangan maximum tune 1 manual, I get a error 26 media board malfunctioning
IMG_4665.jpg

If I unplugged that CN5, I can go in the game, the wheel check comes on, motor goes right, goes left, and gives me an error E20 which sure enough, the manual tells you to "check connections".
IMG_4661.jpg
If I go and disable both the card reader and the wheel motor, I can go in and play, without the force feedback. Since the FFB is one of the reason I got the cab, I want it to work. Error 26 appearing to be related to the PIC, which I've burn from RTW instructions, and I can go in wangan and crazy taxi so I know is fine, got me searching and I am now thinking it could be firmware related. This is what I've got running now:
IMG_4676.jpg

1- If I stick the bin from the first post on my pi, add it to the list of games and send it, will it bring all of these old numbers to the latest ones in one shot?
2- Anybody think or know it will help my FFB issue?
32- Can the JPN from the FCA board and the USA from the chihiro be related in any way to my issue?
IMG_4649.jpg

Thank you for any help
I assume you are using a card reader from WMMT1/2 right? The card reader for WMMT3 won't work for WMMT1/2.

I assume you are using a card reader from WMMT1/2 right? The card reader for WMMT3 won't work for WMMT1/2.
it's the WMMT3 card reader :/ ... I'll try and disconnect it and see if I get the same thing.

I would think so since I get the error 26 before the game is loaded?

The card reader for WMMT3 won't work for WMMT1/2.
It for sure won't work as-is. IIRC, from my work on the card reader scripts, it uses a different baud rate, but the protocol might have been compatible. I never experimented with the dip switches on the reader itself, but I think there's a possibility a reader from 3 could be made compatible. It might be too difficult to figure out the jumper settings, for it, though.

At any rate, the card reader script for wmmt1/2 is available.

I would think so since I get the error 26 before the game is loaded?
I don't know what to make of this. It's odd that having the card reader/ffb plugged would cause this. I would not think the Chihiro would initiate any checks on the serial ports during booting, but perhaps there's a short or something caused when you have it all plugged in and that causes the fault.

I tried to get a WMMT3 card reader working, and couldn't find any documentation on the dip switches - it was easier to get a WMMT1/2 card reader - worked right out the gate.

I would agree with winteriscoming - there is no communication to the card reader at all during the bootup sequence - maybe there is a short or something, or its pulling power in a way it shouldn't be that is messing it up - but I doubt its a communication issue.

Matt

Unplugged the card reader connector ( power + serial ) and no changes... still error 26 when i connect the CN5.

Error 26 is PIC related so back to upgrading the firmware directly to the one in the first post?! Anyone?

Sorry for the multiple questions - trying to understand... :)

if you have CN5 disconnected - are you able to boot up (and disable the card reader in the settings menu)?

Matt

Sorry for the multiple questions - trying to understand... :)

if you have CN5 disconnected - are you able to boot up (and disable the card reader in the settings menu)?

Matt
Yes I've mentioned that in my first post, previous page.

cable disconnected, motor + card disable = drifting and tuning galore! :) ... but I want that FFB gosh darn it!

Ok - now I understand - you have the cable disconnected from the card reader - so all that is active on CN5 is the FFB motor - and when you boot it up, you get error 26?

If you have it plugged in, but FFB disabled in settings, does it boot up?

Matt

Ok - now I understand - you have the cable disconnected from the card reader - so all that is active on CN5 is the FFB motor - and when you boot it up, you get error 26?

If you have it plugged in, but FFB disabled in settings, does it boot up?

Matt
if it is plugged in, I can't even get to the game: I get the error 26 from the chihiro boot and that's it, that's all.

CN5 has Serial R/W for both the card reader and the Steering PCB (FFB). Are you able to do a process of elimination to find out which causes it to fail on error 26? It sounds like it is the FFB board? You should be able to disconnect the cable on the STR board side, as well as the card reader to figure out which one is causing the error to occur.

Matt

well having no responses, I went ahead with the netboot update and it works great!
IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

....and same error 26 without even loading a game in, just by connecting the FFB J104 to CN5.

if i unplug J104 and connect the card reader, it is fine. So the issue is really when i connect the J104. Already tried another STR2 board, nadda.

the search continue.

Update: i tried another type 3 with a “normal” pic, with cn5 connected and NO ERROR 26!...

Put the zero pic in boum, error 26

Update: i tried another type 3 with a “normal” pic, with cn5 connected and NO ERROR 26!...

Put the zero pic in boum, error 26
What do you mean by a normal PIC ?
What is the serial number written on this normal PIC ?
When inserting the normal PIC do you change jumpers to GD-ROM ?
What happens if you connect your JST-8 to CN5 and do NOT power the card reader ?

edit:
Does anyone have the pinout for CN5 on the filterboard ?

Last edited:
What do you mean by a normal PIC ?What is the serial number written on this normal PIC ?
What happens if you connect your JST-8 to CN5 and do NOT power the card reader ?

edit:
Does anyone have the pinout for CN5 on the filterboard ?
normal pic = a real security ic, this one:
IMG_4702.PNG

serial 253-5509-5106, which, is Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2 (I will go load that now!)

No, should I ?! ( will try!!)

tried that: it still fails. If I only leave the card reader, it's fine. it is only when I connect the STR2 board J104 to CN5, which pinout is in the schematics of the wangan midnight maximum tune manual as such:

cn5.jpg

No, should I ?! ( will try!!)
When switching between netboot and GD-ROM you have to swap the jumper over.

So if you load WMMT2 via GD-ROM do you still get the error 26 ?

What happens if you do not power the STR PCB but leave the cable connected to J104 ? (trying to eliminate grounding issues)

When switching between netboot and GD-ROM you have to swap the jumper over.
So if you load WMMT2 via GD-ROM do you still get the error 26 ?

What happens if you do not power the STR PCB but leave the cable connected to J104 ? (trying to eliminate grounding issues)
I don't have a working GD-ROM ;(

"What happens if you do not power the STR PCB but leave the cable connected to J104 ? (trying to eliminate grounding issues)"

it goes if I do that but of course, the FFB doesn't work. and wouldn't I have the same issue with the real security chip if it was a grounding issue?

BUT!! BREAK THROUGH : Trying that, I plugged it back in after the boot ( while in the chihiro test menu) and on exit, it went in the game and TADAM!! FFB works!!

I reproduced the following steps:

-Power off, connector J103 (+5,+12) on FFB connected, CN5 connected, power On : Result: ERROR 26
-Power off, connector J103 on FFB disconnected, CN5 connected, power on : after chihiro boot, hot plug J103, goes in, check wheel , and works!

what the !

Try with one CF adapter.
I have IDE CF adapter but not scsi. Will it work on the type 3 ide?

and I would much rather fix my netboot issue! the break through above it that much closer! I guess I should check for any ground issues after all... how should I do that?

Back