What's new

Urabutbl

Student
Reaction score
I've been offered a House of the Dead 3-cab, and while i love that game, i also know I would eventually like to try the other gun-games for the Chihiro or Naomi. The cab obviously has the shotguns that came with it originally, and my question is:

How compatible are these with the other gun-games available?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of (this would be my first "proper" gun-cab)?

Much obliged for any tips or advice!

Should work with most of the gun games, I think there are 1 or 2 exceptions where games dont use the Sega setup, possibly Ninja Assault I seem to remember.

I know that a HOTD3 cab uses the same gunboard and sensors as a Confidential Mission cab, the gun sense board does all the work and outputs an analogue signal to the JVS I/O to say where the gun is pointing on screen.

HOTD3 shotguns have essentialy 2 buttons, the trigger and the pump action, so any game which just has a trigger you will be ok, if the game needs more buttons for bombs or a foot pedal i.e. VC3 thi is where you will start to have issues.

Thank you!
HOTD3 shotguns have essentialy 2 buttons, the trigger and the pump action, so any game which just has a trigger you will be ok, if the game needs more buttons for bombs or a foot pedal i.e. VC3 thi is where you will start to have issues.
I was hoping that for the games with a grenade-button or similar, I could just remap that to the pump-action and reload by shooting offscreen like most of them have as standard - would that be possible? For footpedals... yeah that one I'll need to think about obviously. I'm thinking just a normal button-rig sandwiched in between two rubber mats and then connected to the right input on the JVS...?

Last edited:
Not sure if you can remap the buttons without hacking the harness.

The trigger button I think is wired via the gunsense boards, and the pump action is wired directly to the I/O board.

In terms of the shoot of screen for reload I think that is possibly done in the software, not sure exactly how it works, but from the test/calibration screen for the test screen would register when the gun was not pointing at the screen, it may be that the wiring from the gun sense board triggers one of the inputs to say that the gun is offscreen, so the game knows from that input that the gun is offscreen and then reloads when you pull the trigger, would need to ideally look at the wiring schematics to see how it was wired.

If youve got the cab you could also go into JVS test and see if an input is triggered when you move the gun off screen.

the off screen shooting is registered by the x/y coordinates of the gun in the gunboard. In the end it just triggers a button on the I/O. So you can remap anything you want but you have to break out the wire harness. I use single connectors per button, so I can remap whatever makes sense for the game. I also bought 2 cheap sewing machine pedals off ali for additional inputs if the game requires more than 2 buttons.

HOTD3 shotguns should work fine with the NAOMI Sega Type II IR Games:
House of the Dead 2
Death Crimson OX
Confidential Mission
The Maze of the King
Lupin the 3rd: The Shooting

It will not work with: Ninja Assault

None of those games use an extra "Grenade" button so the pump action of the shotgun wont do anything.

Most (all?) of these games don't require you to "shoot" off screen, simply pointing off screen will allow you to reload. or what I like to do, cover the tip the gun with my hand ;)

As for Chihiro and Lindbergh games, you'll have to investigate on a game by game basis as they all have weird/unique additional requirements for the guns.

For instance Virtua Cop 3 has a grenade button, which would be mapped to the pump action, but it also requires a foot pedal. Similarly Ghost Squad has and action button (mapped to the pump action) but also requires an additional button to switch gun modes. HOTD4 has a grenade button (again mapped to the pump action) but also requires an accelerometer sensor to detect gun shaking, etc.

None of those games use an extra "Grenade" button so the pump action of the shotgun wont do anything.

Most (all?) of these games don't require you to "shoot" off screen, simply pointing off screen will allow you to reload. or what I like to do, cover the tip the gun with my hand
almost all of these games uses 2nd button (grenade ?) for reload, except for Death Crimson OX, which uses "off screen shot" reload.

almost all of these games uses 2nd button (grenade ?) for reload
you mean in addition to? Because I've played all of them quite regularly and can confirm that they all reload when the screen out "button" is triggered.

you mean in addition to? Because I've played all of them quite regularly and can confirm that they all reload when the screen out "button" is triggered.
ah, it was about software-level detection.
most of games uses "F.OUT" line from GUN board wired to JVS IO button 2 line for reload, while Death COX determine reload when Gun board outputs special coordinates irrc like FFFF FFFF.
my mistake about grenade button :)

indeed, I've always thought it was clever that they used a button input for that since you can't really communicate a "null" analog value. Interesting that Death Crimson simply uses the defaulted screen out coordinates to trigger a reload instead of the dedicated "button" input.

Back