What's new
So yeah, I know Darksoft will eventually work on creating a naomi multicart at some point :whistling: :D

But in the meantime, can we get cracking on making these conversion or 2 in 1 carts like Joerg is doing. It cant be that he is the only one that has figured out how to do it. Or maybe Darksoft or Mitsu can make and offer the conversion carts for sale to avoid having a wave of bootleg carts made if the process to do it was out on the net, just a thought.

What games are you guys looking for? I understand that you are looking for CF or Netboot versions of games that are only in cartridge format, right?

Theses are my top ones that I am most after in cart form :D

Ikaruga
Border Down
Under Defeat
Capcom Vs. SNK 2

Ikaruga
Border Down
Under Defeat
Capcom Vs. SNK 2
I'll be back home in a week or so, but I believe I had some of these working with CF or NetBoot. Don't you have those versions?

Ikaruga
Border Down
Under Defeat
Capcom Vs. SNK 2
I'll be back home in a week or so, but I believe I had some of these working with CF or NetBoot. Don't you have those versions?
We do, we just want them in cart form, so we dont have to deal with the whole netboot mess. Idealy, we want a naomi multi flash cart :D no more netbooting/netdimm, but we can settle for a GD-Rom to cart conversion ;)

Those work worth NetBoot, but the guys want a cart :)
Got it. In this case and given that there is already an existing DIMM available, I'd rather go for a low consumption flash based designed. Only 256MB games supported. It can take 2-3 minutes to load a game, but once loaded....zero wait time. Is that what you are asking? And... are you willing to pay $400 for that? If I listen to you guys and go ahead with this, it means we all need wacko help :thumbsup:

Those work worth NetBoot, but the guys want a cart :)
Got it. In this case and given that there is already an existing DIMM available, I'd rather go for a low consumption flash based designed. Only 256MB games supported. It can take 2-3 minutes to load a game, but once loaded....zero wait time. Is that what you are asking? And... are you willing to pay $400 for that? If I listen to you guys and go ahead with this, it means we all need wacko help :thumbsup:
A proper flash based multi cart for the naomi, I am in, if it means not dealing with the fickle netdimm any longer and the whole pi netboot process :D

Seriously, $400 sounds good to me. I think there was only 1 or 2 games that needed 512mb.

I want a Darksoft multi cart for every system that supports more than one game :D

Yes I would pay 400$ for a true Naomi flash cart!
Loading time and power consumption on these DIMM solutions both suck.

It can take 2-3 minutes to load a game, but once loaded....zero wait time. Is that what you are asking
The reason they want it on CART is so that they can use a Capcom I/O without a JVS power supply... the DIMM boards draw too more 3.3V power than the converter in the Capcom I/O supplies so it means they have to run a dedicated SUN PSU (or similar) instead of a normal PSU through the JAMMA harness.

PERSONALLY I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I think it would be a waste of time. there are many decent multi-boot options on NAOMI already one would have to be a lot cheaper/faster/easier to use to be worth using instead. Meanwhile there are many other multi-game systems without a multi-boot option; seems foolish to add ANOTHER one for NAOMI.

You of course should work on whatever you want to work on... that's just my 2 cents.
looking into the supposed mod for a capcom IO to provide enough 3.3v to eliminate the need for an extra PSU
The problem isn't the Capcom I/O, the problem is that the limited power that can be drawn from a 15Watt JAMMA PSU and through the skimpy wires in most JAMMA harnesses doesn't even give the Capcom I/O enough to work with. Not to mention there are half as many output wires so you have another bottleneck there.

Honestly, if people are so hell-bent on not using a JVS PSU just buy one of those Meanwell 3.3V PSU I listed here: List Retail ATX PSU that works with your NAOMI 1 and/or 2. it's $17 and should supplement a JAMMA PSU just fine, hell it's small enough you could bolt it to the top of the Capcom I/O if you're worried about it taking up too much space.

Reactions: GEL
Honestly, if people are so hell-bent on not using a JVS PSU just buy one of those Meanwell 3.3V PSU I listed here: List Retail ATX PSU that works with your NAOMI 1 and/or 2. it's $17 and should supplement a JAMMA PSU just fine, hell it's small enough you could bolt it to the top of the Capcom I/O if you're worried about it taking up too much space.
You could also use a dreamcast PSU, they are very cheap on ebay, I bought 2 for $9.

For me, carts are plug and play no loading time.. No hastle.. That person has 3 out of the 6 games that I want on boot cart.. I can wait For the other 3 but I already have them on GDROM.. I tried the CF and did not like at all so I purchased all the Naomi games that I want to play.. I did spend a bit of money but it is plug and play and love it..

Carts are extremely convenient, I have 3 Naomi's, 2 Netdimms with Rpi, a SUN and a Sanwa JVS PSU... And most of the times I play, just with a cart.

Instant loading is (almost) priceless :)

just for the record - then DIMM poweron/reboot there no any 'loading'
during "CHECKING MEMORY xx%" it just calculating CRC32 of whole game content, to be sure its OK and not damaged.
in the case of Network boot (but not CF), size of CRC32-checked data (=time) can be shorten to almost not notable value

The reason they want it on CART is so that they can use a Capcom I/O without a JVS power supply... the DIMM boards draw too more 3.3V power than the converter in the Capcom I/O supplies so it means they have to run a dedicated SUN PSU (or similar) instead of a normal PSU through the JAMMA harness.

PERSONALLY I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I think it would be a waste of time. there are many decent multi-boot options on NAOMI already one would have to be a lot cheaper/faster/easier to use to be worth using instead. Meanwhile there are many other multi-game systems without a multi-boot option; seems foolish to add ANOTHER one for NAOMI.
I agree with you 100% that DS should devote time to other systems that need to get multis done for instead of this. Like the PGM, Taito F3, Maybe the CPS1 ;) ;)

However, for me personally, I would like to have carts for those games that are on GD-Rom only, that is just a preference and if it can be realised, I am all for it.

during "CHECKING MEMORY xx%" it just calculating CRC32 of whole game content, to be sure its OK and not damaged.
in the case of Network boot (but not CF), size of CRC32-checked data (=time) can be shorten to almost not notable value
You seem to have some good info :) . Do you care to share by maybe making some posts/guides?! Do we even have a section dedicated to little tips/tricks type of posts?

For me, carts are plug and play no loading time.. No hastle..
Carts are extremely convenient
I agree with all of these points, however a multi kit that plugs in like a cart isn't going to give you the convenience of using a cart. It would be similar to the ST-V or the CPS2 multi; convenience wise it would be similar to net-booting just with shorter loading times.

IIRC @TylerDurden67 was working on a modified firmware that would remove the memory check to improve loading times.

IIRC @TylerDurden67 was working on a modified firmware that would remove the memory check to improve loading times.
Would be cool to know if he got anywhere with it.
I have same info as everyone here, like triforcetools.py, just was curious enough to read it.
not sure why anyone else can't do this as well, too lazy/stupid probably.
Alas, if we could all read, understand and implement all, I dont think this site would be here. I know I dont read through everything :( , too busy collecting the games I want :D

Back