What's new
what about Replacing the PCB connects on the mother board with a more available connector?

Or instead of the multi being a physical cart. Would a possible work around be, to make a multi kit that attaches to the Motherboard permanently? Circumventing the need for those connectors? Kinda like how the CPS2 multi attaches to a CPS2 A board. But in this case its a Multi modded to a naomi board.

wouldn't think it has to be in the same shape of a cart or connect in the same fashion. There are a lot of a Naomi boards. If your wanting a multi so you never have to switch carts, is there anything wrong with modding a multi directly to the motherboard?

could save people form farming com boards for those connectors.

I guess the natural progression of things would be for Darksoft to create a multicart for the Naomi that does not require additional power, and if it does it could use like a normal wall wart psu. It would address the freeze/lock up issue that requires a reset. Of course it would work like his other multis.

Last edited:
Off topic, but I guess related :D

Has anyone tried to mod the capcom io to supply the necessary power? I know it has a mini Dc to DC converter board soldered to it. Most likely used as a stepdown to supply 3.3V, maybe that circuit could be replaced/improved to provide the the necessary power??

Found a pic of a capcom IO pcb and highlighted the section I am speaking of:

View attachment 1904
LoL. This thread really got hi-jacked now :)

CpIKnGc.png
qvtiKcm.jpg

I guess the general consensus is 1 to 1 conversions is poopy becasue it "destroys" original carts. being that there are already two working multi solutions, and someone said DS multi and the idea no long became attractive to people.

sounds like conversion carts are even inferior to the current ND/CF solutions. why sacrifice carts at that point.

You don't want a cart solution because the cart will wear down your contacts (believe me I know)
Before you go buy up all the MB carts on YJ I will let you in on a secret. If you were to reprogram this type of cart it would be very very slow.

You would have to write a loader which you insert in the EPROM socket of this cart, then manipulate the boot source jumpers on the cart. The NAOMI would start the loader but you would have to to have some kind of way to serialize the cart info from a PC and "burn" it into FLASH.
people asking for a DS mutil solution is probably the next logical direction the conversation of conversion carts could go to after people airing issues with ND/CF.

I guess if the process for cart conversion can be found/logged. then if those pcb connectors can be sourced, a reproduction cart could be made. but then you still dealing with "wearing down your MB contacts" from switching carts.

but i guess the info could possibly help with a multi project down the road. Even if conversions are considered undesirable, it still has intellectual value.

I truly only want one GDROM game on cart as that game is a staple in my collection. The other games, I can grit my teeth and bare with the NetDimm/Dimm solutions. Also, given the following event will likely occur once the info is Snowden'ed out how to convert Naomi carts:

I'm never a fan of cannibalizing original carts for conversions, if its going to adversely affect the market.
Eloquently put and was not something I had originally thought of. I don't want that either. I guess it is a pipe dream then.

I'm a big fan of Darksoft's work. But I am also aware of the logistics of this. A solution that cost $400 even with the benefits of trading in some of those costs by:
  1. Eliminating the cost of non-standard PSU's
  2. Simplifying cab power setup
  3. Simplifying cab setup allowing for easy PCB interchangeability with the Capcom I/O
  4. Eliminating intermittent issues with NetDimm/Dimm
Would not be equitable for Darksoft to pursue over even the high cost of a NetDimm. Most of us belong to the hardcore market, but Darksoft is only able to do what he does because even in this niche, there are the masses. And the masses won't pick a $400 solution over the lower cost of a Dimm/NetDimm. We have seen an example of the cost of his efforts with the CPS3 repro's. Many have been waiting for the repro SIMM's to become available but that will only be possible by clearing out inventory of the repro carts. Would hate to see Darksoft holding the bag on this one. He has said he hasn't been able to retire on his efforts yet. They have just thus far made him lose some sleep, or he has been using his proceeds lavishly in the company of hot Polish women :D.

For that reason that I am declaring that I would pass on a Darksoft NAOMI multi. I'll probably get stoned for that. But there is only one Darksoft. And he can only do what he is able to do because there is thin equity in this for him.

I guess if the process for cart conversion can be found/logged. then if those pcb connectors can be sourced, a reproduction cart could be made. but then you still dealing with "wearing down your MB contacts" from switching carts.
These are the connectors on the cart:

http://eu.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyXH3B-013P-D32

Only 10 EUR a pop, so that's 30 EUR just in connectors.

They are press fit, not soldered and a real PITA to change. I know because I have done it :D

Omron, I should have guessed, their stuff is always overpriced and breaks often. They're the same company that makes the illuminated start buttons that Sega loves to put on their machines.

Hmmm....

So there is a voltage drop circuit to properly power those, I guess kept low enough for them to operate without having them go into a write cycle. I guess the game is small enough to fit in those?

I guess reflashed the 32Mbit Eprom as well.

Very Interesting!

nice, its made in more obvious way that I was guessing, sacrificing Shangri-La cartridge ))

Ikaruga only needs 3x26L6420 and the eprom? I'm surprised now.

Ikaruga only needs 3x26L6420 and the eprom? I'm surprised now.
Well the mame chd file is like 77MB. How or why he is using 3x 26L6420 is beyond me.

I wonder why he didnt just use an LDO voltage regulator?! But I guess he is just keeping it simple.

So there are 3 changed components/sections.

1 - Mostl likely one would have to use the Universal Bios for the Naomi or did he make his own bios for it?

2 - I am not sure what that 27C322 Eprom does, but its obviously some modified code.

3 - The 26L6420s hold all the game data. How he manages to split the GD-Rom game data over these 3 chips and how the naomi retrieves it?!

I wonder if you can read the contents of the flashes and eprom, and see what he has done. This is stuff for you expert people that know how to deal with this to figure out. It might be helpful towards the production of a low power multicart one day, who knows.

The EPROM could be read... I don't know about the flashes.

Ps- Despite all the fuss and drama, I honestly think that the evil guy is kind of brilliant in some of his creations. He needs to improve the "presentation" thought. :)

In layman's terms, does the Naomi behave as it is just one game on the cart, and the setting of a different region via DIP switches is what selects the different games loaded? Which is why it needs the multi region bios? Excuse the ignorance, trying to learn haha.

I only have Multibios in my operative Naomi's (that's the first thing I did), so I'm not sure if the game would work or not with a Vanilla BIOS.

Back