What's new

traplicious

Beginner
Reaction score
One of my New Year’s resolutions this year was to get the crt in my 2 slot working and here I am getting around to it in Feb! Not bad

I purchased this cab nonworking a few years ago and have had it running with a lcd. Time to restore it to its proper glory.

I believe the issue lies with the isolation transformer. I am going to install a new power supply bc the one that’s in there is filthy and I started really taking a look at the iso.

One of the ground connector connects isn’t connected to anything. I believe that’s part of the problem. I looked around to see if there’s a connection point that it slipped off of but can’t find any.

Can some take a look at these pics and see if they can see anything that sticks out as the problem? Thanks!

Attachments

• 671AC0EA-3725-4411-BB2C-5C4C28DECF04.jpeg
    671AC0EA-3725-4411-BB2C-5C4C28DECF04.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 194DB6E7-903F-4EAA-BF25-DE85E92D9061.jpeg
    194DB6E7-903F-4EAA-BF25-DE85E92D9061.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 65
  • 5705EA61-EF5E-4A50-B99C-2BFD4DC5F413.jpeg
    5705EA61-EF5E-4A50-B99C-2BFD4DC5F413.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 05ABD1C9-100F-4B2D-8051-0E946B6457AA.jpeg
    05ABD1C9-100F-4B2D-8051-0E946B6457AA.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 66
  • B268504A-0EF0-4B93-A1A3-A5E7A950B017.jpeg
    B268504A-0EF0-4B93-A1A3-A5E7A950B017.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 63
There's nothing wrong, looks good. the outer shell of the transformer is ground.
have you checked your 5amp fuse?

There's nothing wrong, looks good. the outer shell of the transformer is ground.
have you checked your 5amp fuse?
The fuse on the monitor board? I did check that and it was ok. I checked that first hoping that was all it was going to take

So the black wire I have that is currently unconnected doesn’t need to be connected to anything?

The fuse is inside the coin door, it looks like a black nob you twist and it pops out.
The black wire? is the black wire connected to the ground?

Ok interesting. Didn’t know there was a 5amp fuse in the coin box. Big problem for me though, I don’t have the key to the coin door. I have tried unsuccessfully to drill it open. Anyone have any tips?

And about the black wire: it’s under the right side screw terminal and on the opposite end it has a quick connector but I don’t know where it was supposed to connect to.

Thanks for the vid. I’ll try this later to see if I can get the door open finally.

The fuse you mentioned last night is actually above the coin box so I was able to get it out and test it. It seems to still be ok. So that rules that out.

I hooked up the new power supply and everything powers up like before just the monitor is still dead.

Is the black wire supposed to be delivering power since it’s “hot”? Right now it’s just under a screw and connected to nothing. I feel like it has a role in this that I’m not understanding lol

Also, the connectors between the monitor and the harness….the wires seem swapped?

I don’t think someone took the effort to swap these and then put them back nicely since they seem pretty untouched. Is this the way it’s supposed to be?

Attachments

• 5E0D48F7-3BC9-4072-B216-15B8F96C260F.jpeg
    5E0D48F7-3BC9-4072-B216-15B8F96C260F.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 47
  • D9AE5DF8-B60E-4429-A6F1-05CF6F4D418D.jpeg
    D9AE5DF8-B60E-4429-A6F1-05CF6F4D418D.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 43
If the black wire is screwed to the side of the transformer, then it's for ground.
The original transformer for neo geo mvs came with a ground line for that black wire to plug in to.

1. What kind of monitor are you using? is it a crt or lcd?

2. is the power to the monitor, A plug or the Black and white clip?

Also, the connectors between the monitor and the harness….the wires seem swapped?

I don’t think someone took the effort to swap these and then put them back nicely since they seem pretty untouched. Is this the way it’s supposed to be?
Looks fine, does that power line got to the monitor or the marquee light?

If the black wire is screwed to the side of the transformer, then it's for ground.
The original transformer for neo geo mvs came with a ground line for that black wire to plug in to.

1. What kind of monitor are you using? is it a crt or lcd?

2. is the power to the monitor, A plug or the Black and white clip?

Looks fine, does that power line got to the monitor or the marquee light?
It’s a crt. Qnic cgm 2500. Which I believe is original to the cab.

The power is the black and white clip I pictured above. The b&w connector from the harness connects to the b&w connector on the neck of the monitor

Is there a way to test if the b&w cord is carrying the juice the way it’s supposed to be?

If the cord is working (meaning that the transformer is wired and working correctly), then that would mean the issue is with the monitor.

It’s a crt. Qnic cgm 2500. Which I believe is original to the cab.

The power is the black and white clip I pictured above. The b&w connector from the harness connects to the b&w connector on the neck of the monitor
The B&W connector should connect to the chassis right next to the heatsink, not the neck board.
When you turn on the machine dose the neck of the monitor glow? if it does then you'er getting power to the monitor.

Has the monitor worked before installing it to the machine?
On some monitor tubes, they have a sticker showing how many volts it can take, does your monitor tube have a sticker and if it does how many volts?

Is there a way to test if the b&w cord is carrying the juice the way it’s supposed to be?

If the cord is working (meaning that the transformer is wired and working correctly), then that would mean the issue is with the monitor.
Yes you can buy a voltage tester from amazon or ebay. remember when using it, one goes to ground and one goes to hot.

Doesn't matter, provided it's AC.

Before connecting anything and possibly blowing fuses, buy a multimeter. Cheap ones are like $20.

Disconnect the 2-pin connector, turn on the cab. See if you're getting 120VAC on that connector.

Yes you can buy a voltage tester from amazon or ebay. remember when using it, one goes to ground and one goes to hot.

When measuring AC, one meter goes to live (hot), one to neutral. Don't measure against ground.

Back