What's new
nice, that's good to hear that i don't need to replace my A board. Now I just need to replace the B-17 C board and I'm all set.

nice, that's good to hear that i don't need to replace my A board. Now I just need to replace the B-17 C board and I'm all set.
You may not need to replace the C board at all. Hold tight and wait for the official CPS-1 multi announcement from @Darksoft before rushing out to potentially hunt for something you may not need ;)

A big ty. I now know what to ask when I am purchasing my street fighter Dash Turbo board aka Hyper Fighting. Interestingly enough they call in "dash" turbo. I wonder if that is a direct reference to the board.

yes, "dash" is a reference to sped up game play. Street Fighter 2'

The ' = dash, sped up

Replying to the thread here

Simply starting a round and looking at the countdown.
I posted videos a while back, somewhere... (with two CPS1 setups and two TVs in parallel, having inputs mirrored to both boards).

So @Apocalypse is this the test you mean? I tried it myself, hit the timer when he says fight and stopped when the counter hit zero:

Are we doing something different?

This is a Dash A board:

signal-2021-02-14-214451_001.jpeg

This is the A board from my World Warrior:

signal-2021-02-14-214451_002.jpeg

Both have the same round time of 1:07. It's like I was saying, the differences between SF2:CE on a Dash and a NonDash board aren't obvious.

Replying to the thread here

So @Apocalypse is this the test you mean? I tried it myself, hit the timer when he says fight and stopped when the counter hit zero:

Are we doing something different?

This is a Dash A board:

signal-2021-02-14-214451_001.jpeg

This is the A board from my World Warrior:

signal-2021-02-14-214451_002.jpeg

Both have the same round time of 1:07. It's like I was saying, the differences between SF2:CE on a Dash and a NonDash board aren't obvious.
Just letting it run without loading up the cpu isnt really going to expose anything. You would somehow have to automate inputs, probably for both players, and spamming fireballs and such, and im guessing a stage like chun li's with the bikes in the background would be a heavier load.

Some have reported games like final fight, on screens with lots of enemies, benefits from the faster speed. Again, you would have to somehow automate inputs and get an apples to apples comparison on each A board.

Something like a sf2 bootleg with the dozens of fireballs and sonic booms, etc on screen all at once might be an easier replicable test that would impose some greater system loads.

Just letting it run without loading up the cpu isnt really going to expose anything. You would somehow have to automate inputs, probably for both players, and spamming fireballs and such, and im guessing a stage like chun li's with the bikes in the background would be a heavier load.

Some have reported games like final fight, on screens with lots of enemies, benefits from the faster speed. Again, you would have to somehow automate inputs and get an apples to apples comparison on each A board.

Something like a sf2 bootleg with the dozens of fireballs and sonic booms, etc on screen all at once might be an easier replicable test that would impose some greater system loads.
Yeah, the other thread claimed 20% speed difference just observing a timer.

I might give Final Fight a go when I have some time and report back. In my 1CC runs the only significant slowdown is the fire bridge on stage 3 and the garbage bins and fire throwers on stage 4. You can also trigger some pretty hardcore slowdown at any time by doing some speedrun strategies - just keep backward jumping and scrolling on as many enemies as you can.

What would be good though is having a reliable test because people are combining 12Mhz crystals with 10Mhz CPUs now. With the differences being so subtle how do you prove that a 12/10 combo runs like a 12/12?

Last edited:
I looked up sf2 hacks on youtube. The koryu 2 hack is one of them that you can get multiple fireballs on screen at the same time. I'm not familiar with this version, but looks like you could get a 2p game going with ken or ryu and spam a bunch of jab dp's in order to fill the screen with fireballs. Something that would be be easily replicated without figuring out how to automate inputs.

Reference video:
View: https://youtu.be/fRuQzHX0CHM

It's hard to tell, but it kinda looks like the timer isnt consistent, and potentially that correlates with fireballs spammed on the screen. I'm guessing the A board in that set is a 12mhz, since it's a CE hack (or the mame implementation assumes 12mhz?).

I may try to figure out how to burn the necessary roms for this hack and test.

When I was a kid, I recall seeing an SF2 hack that let you throw diagonal fireballs as anti air attacks. Still can't find any info on this. Did I make this up?

When I was a kid, I recall seeing an SF2 hack that let you throw diagonal fireballs as anti air attacks. Still can't find any info on this. Did I make this up?
It was called Rainbow Edition where I lived, you still see them come up on eBay occasionally - it was just a ROM hack. You just need to swap some ROMs and one of the PAL chips to convert them back to stock.

It was called Rainbow Edition where I lived, you still see them come up on eBay occasionally - it was just a ROM hack. You just need to swap some ROMs and one of the PAL chips to convert them back to stock.
I have a Accelerator! romset that came on a otherwise good 12mhz set that I got. Its exactly as @Nimmers says - the 3 program roms and a pal. Video of it below. Unfortunately this particular hack doesnt do enough that is different from what would eventually become hyper fighting, to really tax the hardware.

View: https://youtu.be/3SD1UHrZwRI

Long time ago when I swapped some boards around, but I definitely recall Final Fight running smoother overall on a 12MHz A board :)

So when we get our multi if we're on a 12 mhz board are we good? Or we need a 10 mhz one to run the 10 mhz games in their original speed? Sorry if this has been discussed, i tried reading but it's a long thread.

So when we get our multi if we're on a 12 mhz board are we good? Or we need a 10 mhz one to run the 10 mhz games in their original speed? Sorry if this has been discussed, i tried reading but it's a long thread.

If you want authenticity you would need both, but I think some discussion has been going on about a daughter board that holds both the 10MHz and 12MHz crystal and you can swap between them.
Not sure if this will ever come to fruition and if the multi could auto switch this thing as it would sit on your A board directly.

Pretty sure when Darksoft announces more details on the upcoming multi the possible options will be announced as well.
For now I'm not too worried yet.

The compatibility and any differencs is one of the central discussions here. All games will run on either speed of crystal/processor. What the differences may be when a particular game is played at one speed versus the other has been extremely hard to concretely document, outside of some subjective assertions of how the gameplay "feels".

I'm not disputing people's assertions. I myself will assert that, having spent A LOT of time on sf2 hyper fighting, that it definitely plays differently on a 10mhz crystal than a 12mhz crystal. But again, concretely documenting and replicating the differences has been extremely challenging.

Back