What's new
One thing we've noticed while doing the M92 multi is that not only does mame not fully emulate the full power and ability of the hardware but neither does MISTER. Maybe the core was based off of mame mostly.

in layman's terms they work well enough to play the games and do that pretty well but you could never use either as a development platform because they dont clone EVERY function of the hardware.

In fact, many of the cores that people believe to be "perfect" simply are not. But what you don't know can't hurt you -or- ignorance is bliss.

On a related developers note, M107 is a super powerful platform that only ever had a fraction of its power used. EVERY single game could have just been done on M92. If someone really tried they could make AMAZING games on M107.

Could I trouble someone for a close up pic of the bottom left corner of the multi PCB focusing in on the 5v/Gnd area an the FB5 component above? (don't ask...)

Thank you!

One thing we've noticed while doing the M92 multi is that not only does mame not fully emulate the full power and ability of the hardware but neither does MISTER. Maybe the core was based off of mame mostly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was a lost opportunity with the M92 MISTER core development. The MAME source was used as a stepping stone to get so far in MISTER development with some good improvements/bug fixes discovered and added to the MISTER core. However upon release, it was boasted that the MISTER core was now better than MAME rather than porting the fixes back to MAME. Even a year later these M92 fixes have not been back ported to MAME.

Furrtek and jotego MISTER devs are the opposite in that they back port their findings to MAME and everyone benefits. Contra's barrel behavior comes to mind.

I pinged the dev of the M92 MiSTer core to come check out these comments. NOT to cause drama (please be polite) but because with Hammy's multi, we were able to use the real PCBs and the MiSTer core dev to help refine his code and correct the MULTI (Hachoo in particular), so I'm hoping this can happen here.

@wickerwaka knows his core is not 100% yet, but I think both projects can help each other (and MAME too), so I pinged him.

Porting the fixes back to MAME is something I would like to do at some point but have not been able to make the time for yet. The MAME implementation is actually really good. It doesn't replicate how the buffer, palette and object memory is handled which has no impact as far as I can tell. The tilemap and sprite handling is enough to support all game functionality. I think the only real issue MAME has is the tilemap rowscroll information isn't always updated correctly. Any boasting I might have done was purely relief some seeing *any* visible difference after all the time I spent with the board:)

The only inaccuracy I'm aware of between the MiSTer core and real hardware is that the CPU speed isn't accurate, which results in more slow down in In The Hunt and Gunforce 2 than you should really be seeing. MAME was used as a starting point for things like understanding the memory and IO space. I reverse engineered all the custom chip functionality using test roms that I built (https://github.com/wickerwaka/m92_testbed).

in layman's terms they work well enough to play the games and do that pretty well but you could never use either as a development platform because they dont clone EVERY function of the hardware.

I'd love to know more about what functionality is missing. I think the GA21 might have one or two tricks up it's sleeve because there is enough RAM and enough signals to allow double buffering the the sprite data and when testing I encountered some settings that seemed to use that extra memory but they didn't make a lot of sense. I've been looking at the M107 recently and I'm wondering now if those modes might expect the sprite data to be formatted differently.

You're right that the M107 is a much more powerful platform. Not only is the CPU clocked much higher, but the sprite hardware is much more capable and really simplifies the task of handling the sprites which is probably one of the bigger causes of slowdown on the M92. It'd be great to see some up-conversions of some M92 games someday.

The MiSTer comments are likely people hoping for an ongoing echo chamber online to validate their choices on how to game.

No one ever really asks for that mob to chime in, it just shows some level of insecurity that that crowd has.

Just be comfortable with your choices and deal with the FACT that emulation on MiSTer will never be as accurate or as cool as real hardware.

Get in where you fit in.

Also, I'm too lazy to keep my MiST, MiSTer and Analogue Pocket updated... but that's a me problem.

Also, I'm too lazy to keep my MiST, MiSTer and Analogue Pocket updated... but that's a me problem.
I just got a pocket and did the update. Literally a program called Pocket_updater that does all the work for you. Inset sd card into pc and let the program run an update_all script. Then a matter of copying over everdrive rom directories into the right folders (which is a one time thing).

Mister is a cinch with update_all, the gift that keeps on giving. Don't get into the weeds, just click once a month the update all script and your golden.

I want a cps1 multi. I have a short board which might be a candidate and I have a couple C boards I procured I think are the right version. But like scarlett sprites was saying this is an investment. Just need the right time to pull the trigger as I have the rest of the darksoft kits.

I just got a pocket and did the update. Literally a program called Pocket_updater that does all the work for you. Inset sd card into pc and let the program run an update_all script. Then a matter of copying over everdrive rom directories into the right folders (which is a one time thing).

Yeah, but then you have to load ROM images etc... I've been bussy setting up my new Odin 2 Max for a trip to Germany. Then I think I'll update my MiST to use as a dedicated Atari ST and Amiga system. Then perhaps the Pocket and lastly the MiSTer. Too many systems man...

To each their own! You like real deal arcade hardware, coo, rock on brotha! You like mister and MAME, cool! Enjoy these games however which way your life (and more likely, your wallet lol) will allow.

Whatever you do, do you. but stay in your lane is all i ask. Don't try to gate keep, bring people down over their choices or try to "convert" them. Hasnt worked for religion, and they've had thousands (more depending on the religion) years head start and look where we are =P

Game on, have fun and enjoy the simple beauty that we live in a age where arcades exist

Huzzah!

Except Arcade 1 up, GTFO with that shit.
/s

To each their own! You like real deal arcade hardware, coo, rock on brotha! You like mister and MAME, cool! Enjoy these games however which way your life (and more likely, your wallet lol) will allow.

Whatever you do, do you. but stay in your lane is all i ask. Don't try to gate keep, bring people down over their choices or try to "convert" them. Hasnt worked for religion, and they've had thousands (more depending on the religion) years head start and look where we are =P

Game on, have fun and enjoy the simple beauty that we live in a age where arcades exist

Huzzah!

Except Arcade 1 up, GTFO with that shit.
/s
Very good take. Enjoy games the way you want. It's okay to poke a little fun at someone using a different setup than you prefer, just like people do with liking a different football team. However, the way people try to fight over emulation vs real hardware is not quite the same and is often completely ridiculous.

This is the way see it: I have real CPS2 and MVS hardware and fighting game software, but I'm most definitely certain there's someone out there playing those same games via MAME or Fightcade on a $200 PC and a cheap fight stick (or hell, a keyboard) that could mop the floor with me any day of the week. It's no different than dudes buying $4000 American-made custom shop guitars just to play beginner songs; meanwhile, you got 12-year-old kids at Guitar Center wailing like professional musicians on a $400 mass-produced Chinese or Mexican guitars that they are picking out as their Christmas present. In my hometown, you see pot-bellied monsters on $5000 carbon fiber bicycles being smoked by grandpas on $500 used light-steel frame bicycles when going up mountain passes all the time. Just because you had the money to purchase something elite or rare doesn't make you any better or more qualified in any hobby. People do have the right to buy whatever the hell they want though. If somebody wants real arcade hardware for a game they suck at, a $4000 guitar they can barely play, or $5000 for a bicycle they'll never be able to fully utilize, who cares? It's their money, not yours. If you weren't going to buy that stuff anyway, then it's not your problem right? That's my main gripe about the Mister bros bombing comment sections.

Anyway, that's my two yen on it anyway :P

Gaming is getting into weird and disturbing territory IMO.

Social media has gone tribal, now there's influencers literally in the business of finding drama and cancelling people via sponsored youtube videos. I read some tweets the other day from some people working on Mars making fun of a guy who makes and sells MiSTer accessories because they reckon they are going to put him out of business. Other influencers making fun of a guy making a 4k saler because their friends 4k scaler is better. People just being dicks to each other for the sake of it.

You really need to be mindful of the whole FOMO state they try to get people into.

I think at the end of the day if you have the original hardware and a CRT then you can avoid this treadmill of "there's always something new and expensive to upgrade to".

Very interested in this multi. Are there any news on the dual oscillator?

When available, will it be sold via the same distributors as the boards?

Thanks

Back