What's new
Now my multi getting worse, basically I got a solid blu screen randomly after load a game! Sometime works, sometimes if shut off the cab and repower then got a blu screen or corrupted glitchy screen. I have replaced my c board with the Darksoft repro one and just do not load anything. The LCD screen say "now playing... " but no game, just blu or green screen

Now my multi getting worse, basically I got a solid blu screen randomly after load a game! Sometime works, sometimes if shut off the cab and repower then got a blu screen or corrupted glitchy screen. I have replaced my c board with the Darksoft repro one and just do not load anything. The LCD screen say "now playing... " but no game, just blu or green screen
It's probably the A board.

You could try cleaning everything with a socket. That worked for someone.

You could try another A board.

I had 1 game not working and that game was the donor board!

I changed A boards and everything worked.

The non working A board is still in use today and seems fine but obviously something was wrong.

I can't say it's not the multi but I don't think there have been many (any?) defective units reported.

I've never had a single problem with the darksoft multis, I don't think it's the multi, I still have several tests to do, but it's strange I've had this cps1 multi since day one and it worked well, I got the 12mhz A board from Pang maybe some pal/gal doesn't like the multi, I'll investigate better and let you know here.

I had a puppy put chew marks into my LCD ribbon cable. The LCD display now states "LCD Init". I expected an issue there, however I have lost all video signal (black screen). I removed the ribbon cable entirely and no video either. To make sure it wasn't my supergun, I put in my CPS2 multi and it worked perfectly.

Any help greatly appreciated 🙏

The LCD needs to be changed together with the ribbon cable. If you are lucky, there has been no shortcut and the multi is still intact.

The LCD needs to be changed together with the ribbon cable. If you are lucky, there has been no shortcut and the multi is still intact.
Thanks DS, appreciate the help.
Fingers crossed!

Thanks DS, appreciate the help.
Fingers crossed!
Will send you a replacement cable in the mail this week mate.

You can isolate if there’s any further issues by plugging the CPS-1 cable into the CPS-2 system as they're interchangeable, likewise the LCD screen.

Last edited:
Yes, let me find it and get back to you.
Did the Mercs issue ever get resolved with older firmware? I have the exact same issues with corrupt backgrounds and missing sprites for all versions of the game. So far all the other games run fine.

Last edited:
Did the Mercs issue ever get resolved with older firmware? I have the exact same issues with corrupt backgrounds and missing sprites for all versions of the game. So far all the other games run fine.
It did, not sure if the fixes made their way back into the usual locations yet, I’ll DM you.

The fix is not 100% final. There is a very small glitch in Stage 4, but it's much better now.. I'm going to post it here and wait for your feedback. Notice that the romset needs to be adjusted as well. The gfx files will be different now. You need to extract, rename to CPLD and use the newer gfx files that has gfx.01 and gfx.02, each file is 4MB in size.

Attachments

• cpld_u113_new_version.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 57
The fix is not 100% final. There is a very small glitch in Stage 4, but it's much better now.. I'm going to post it here and wait for your feedback. Notice that the romset needs to be adjusted as well. The gfx files will be different now. You need to extract, rename to CPLD and use the newer gfx files that has gfx.01 and gfx.02, each file is 4MB in size.
I just finished a Mercs playthrough with the new gfx files and it played great. Either the small glitch on stage 4 wasn't there or was so small I didn't even notice it.

There were some small graphic glitches in this game. They were some sprite not mapped properly and showing up where they shouldnt. See picture.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-22 at 09.02.13.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-22 at 09.02.13.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 50
Finally have time to install the Multi I bought in September 2023!
Installed everything per instructions:
  • A board 89626A-4 - tested working A/V with Carrier Airwing
  • C board is the reproduction from Darksoft
  • No FW update performed on the Multi (assumed the latest was already on it)
  • Replaced the PAL on the A-board
  • Soldered the 2 wires (see picture, I'm not a native solderer 😅)
  • All DIPs are switched off on the A-board
  • Jamma loom confirmed working with other PCB's
  • All Jamma edges/connectors with the filterboard are aligned
  • dot_clean'd the SDcard
  • First game flashed is VARTH - both lights green. Once written, 1 light green.
Resulting in this:
(the sound in the beginning of the video is from elsewhere in the room)

Looks like the game is running, but only with Red color and I don't hear sound (I left the volume knob the same from the Carrier Airwing test).
I reinserted the filter board, pressed carefully all board connectors again. Same result.
Rechecked the Jamma loom with another PCB, that works fine.

What could I have missed? And what can I try?

Attachments

• IMG_5040.jpeg
    IMG_5040.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5043.jpeg
    IMG_5043.jpeg
    618.6 KB · Views: 38
Does Carrier Airwing work when flashed?

Is this issue only related to Varth or other games also?

Do you by chance have another CPS-1 A-Board handy?

If you could try alternate ROM sets / SD cards (if available) that would also help early diagnosis.

Back