What's new
FYI: YouTube just took all of my videos offline, including the CPS1 Multi Tutorial video. I don't know why yet, but I've submitted their appeals form. In the meantime, if anyone needs the installation tutorial video for the CPS1, Namco System 1, Irem M72 or System 16 Multis, shoot me a PM.

1.png
I was still able to view your videos but your channel icon showed as backslash-user icon.

It arrived today.
I played it immediately and found that the background was strange in stage 2 of MERCSJ.
My board is the 12Hz version.

DSC_5322.JPG

It arrived today.
I played it immediately and found that the background was strange in stage 2 of MERCSJ.
My board is the 12Hz version.

DSC_5322.JPG
This is one of the 3 bugs specified in the list of issues.

This is one of the 3 bugs specified in the list of issues.
I've talked about it before, but Mega Twins has an additional not stated issue.
When finishing the game, the ending credits/character portraits blink/flash (that is not normal).

I'm going by what's in MAME which shows something kinda different to the manual (all were set to defaults by pressing enter on each item). The "Internal Diff. on Life Loss" isn't even mentioned there so I really don't know which one is correct:

1653887002598.png

Anyone with advanced knowledge of Strider or a picture of the JP instructions? Wouldn't be the first time a US manual had an error, but also MAME gets stuff wrong too, so I don't know which one to believe.
Strider is only on dip switch A, number 8.
This is the difference between table or upright specifications.

DSC_5328.JPGDSC_5329.JPG

Strider is only on dip switch A, number 8.
This is the difference between table or upright specifications.

DSC_5328.JPGDSC_5329.JPG

I don't understand your post can you please clarify? Also, your scan of the JP manual doesn't seem to have any indication as to what factory defaults are.

Here's a cleaner picture, defaults are marked with an * (and we really need a google sheet or similar database of dip settings).
1654101821060.png

Yes this source is what I was using, but @dos found that MAME has a different default setting (must be a mistake) and we were inquiring if someone maybe had a Japanese manual that had different settings. (which I cannot tell if it does because it's in Japanese with no asterisks)

Its also important to keep in mind the screen is 16 characters long and can scroll completely one time (ie 32 characters total).
Upon displaying the 32nd character the screen will immediately return to displaying the currently selected game.

Aka don't use that 32nd character, you almost never see it displayed because it so quickly returns to current game.
Best titles are between 16 and 20 characters, either no scrolling period or scrolling just 4~5 positions.
I feel the region should be displayed first because of the scrolling required to display the complete game, which is painfully slow in my view. If this isn't prefixed, I wouldn't know what version rom I am playing and I'd want to know that immediately upon display of the ROM title. I have also removed spaces between game names in what is displayed to prevent scrolling when/if possible. I changed SFII->SF2 for one less character. Then everything went into a 'games' folder in the microSD card root allowing me to have access to regionally different games on the same microSD card.

Default looks like this:
  • Original Folder Name: 05-captcommj
  • Original LCD Display Name: Captain Commando
After my edits, looks like this:
  • New Folder Name: Japan-05-captcommj
    • Then used FAT Sorter after updating the folder names
  • New LCD Display Name: (J) CaptainCommando
Already doing some customization on my less than week old CPS1 multi :thumbsup:

@Darksoft, if you are working on any firmware updates, here is some feedback:
  1. Improve flash write time
  2. Make scrolling text faster on LCD selector by a factor of 2
  3. Make scrolling delay shorter. I am thinking it is 1-2 second delay now. Shorten to .5 seconds
  4. Upon initiation of flash, there is a 10-20 second delay before progress is displayed
    • Shorten flash initiation delay if possible
    • If delay can't be shortened, add flashing asterisk to indicate progress is in motion before progress meter is displayed
      • That delay makes things appear like the operation failed
  5. If possible, leave LCD backlight on from time flash is initiated until flash is completed + whatever bumper interval you have programmed now.

Last edited:
Regarding DIP settings: is there any possibility for a text file in each game folder to contain the settings and override the hardware switches? I'm assuming the answer is no unless modded ROMs were made, correct?

Also, what are the plastic standoffs provided with the kit for? Are they to help support future add on boards?

any possibility for a text file in each game folder to contain the settings and override the hardware switches?
Only IF each game was patched to behave this way.
That would interduce another problem/issue... We would need to decrypt the ROMs to patch them, and then re-key the ROMs.
If you've played CPS1 conversions before, you are aware of the sometimes random spright glitches or other unintended behavior.

Yea that, and no thanks (as awesome as it would be to have the multi in charge of dip settings).

Regarding DIP settings: is there any possibility for a text file in each game folder to contain the settings and override the hardware switches? I'm assuming the answer is no unless modded ROMs were made, correct?

Also, what are the plastic standoffs provided with the kit for? Are they to help support future add on boards?

Might be possible for a down-stream project. A small micro controller with an LCD screen that included a switch control. Something that would replace the standard LCD selector and used a soldered on daughter board for the switches.

The DIP settings (once a remote board is available) won't really be too much of an issue. I usually sit down and focus on one game rather than shuffle through a bunch in 10min. The nice thing about a multi like this is that it essentially operates like a dedicated game board for whatever you load into it, and that's a feature I like.

Thanks @TMF68k I'll revise my list. For all wondering, it's hard to see but defaults are bolded in his pic.

EDIT: Basically Japanese default DIP settings for Strider are all off. This sets the rank to 6 at start but subtracts 3 when losing a life. The DIP A defaults to a table cab in the JP version because table cabs were default in the 80s. Setting DIP A to all off is correct for "upright" (no flipping per player).

EDIT2: Leaving my "default" DIPs set for strider takes it down to the easiest difficulty level, still a major change in my opinion.

cps_dip.PNG

Last edited:
@Darksoft Found a glitch on Strider USA - B (90629B-3) [the 3rd USA Strider rom on my list] on second stage, Siberian wilderness, when you first encounter Solo (flying guy), do not kill him but continue past, run down slope to jump over to the area where the electricity things are going, when Solo catches up with you the background glitches out and stays that way even after you die/continue.

This does not occur using 2nd "B" Strider rom.

Thanks @TMF68k I'll revise my list. For all wondering, it's hard to see but defaults are bolded in his pic.

EDIT: Basically Japanese default DIP settings for Strider are all off. This sets the rank to 6 at start but subtracts 3 when losing a life. The DIP A defaults to a table cab in the JP version because table cabs were default in the 80s. Setting DIP A to all off is correct for "upright" (no flipping per player).

EDIT2: Leaving my "default" DIPs set for strider takes it down to the easiest difficulty level, still a major change in my opinion.

View attachment 91394
Wow, so the USA manual, JP manual and MAME all have different default settings listed :D

I think I’ll continue using the USA manual listing, that makes the most sense to me I guess.

Wow, so the USA manual, JP manual and MAME all have different default settings listed :D
Yea I'm seeing some issues myself, I say we re-test these DIP setting on actual hardware.
I suspect the MAME team may have inverted some banks.

Back