What's new

LittleMegaGamer

Student
Reaction score
View: https://youtu.be/-5Y8FdRNUw0?si=UGplYldY7z56adej

Hi guys,
Months ago I was looking around to buy an Arcade Stick with a DB15 connector to be able to play my PCBs on my Supergun without any sort of adapters. I didn't find any! Perhaps there is no market for it (?). So, I have investigated a bit about how to build one and I made three arcade sticks in the end.
Initially, I didn't have the intention to make a video, but when I found and tested the way to make the Arcade Stick compatible with many others systems I thought it was worth it to make one to share this experience.

Here's a video about how to build a 'Universal' Arcade Stick with DB15 connector to play your favorite Arcade Games on any NeoGeo console and Superguns provided they have a DB15 port.
Also, it's compatible with Mister FPGA, Raspberry Pi, PC Windows/Mac/Linux through an apposite USB Encoder, Sega Dreamcast and Sega Saturn through an apposite adapter.

If you like the video, I might post here some pictures from the video with relative notes to make a kind of tutorial.

Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Here some extracts from the video that show how to built it step by step and the tools to make it compatible with other systems.
I show the arcade stick in action on different systems at the end part of the video.
If you find it interesting, consider to subscribe to my YouTube channel, I will share there some others projects.

1) INTRO : my arcade sticks

02 - intro.jpg

01 - intro.jpg

03 - intro.jpg

04 - intro.jpg

2) PANEL LAYOUT selection

07 - layout.jpg

3) ENCLOSURE selection

08 - wooden box.jpg

4) ADDITIONAL BOARD installation

11 - additional board.jpg

...continues to the following post

Attachments

• 07 - layout.jpg
    07 - layout.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 08 - wooden box.jpg
    08 - wooden box.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 08 - wooden box.jpg
    08 - wooden box.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
11) COMPATIBILITY with systems provided they have USB port

37 - compatibility.jpg

12) COMPATIBILITY with Sega Dreamcast

40 - compatibility.jpg

13) COMPATIBILITY with Sega Saturn

42 - compatibility.jpg

14) DEFAULT BUTTONS CONFIGURATION on the different systems

43x - compatibility.jpg

...end

p.s. You can see the arcade sticks in action on different systems in the final part of the video

Attachments

• 37 - compatibility.jpg
    37 - compatibility.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 28
Could you share the model of that "cord stopper"? I've got a stick with a quarter sized hole in the rear that I need to somehow keep the cable from pulling out of and this is the sort of thing I've been looking for but can't figure out the name of, ha.

Very nice. A few years ago I wanted to use this PacTec case, it looks similar to the PSX Namco stick - https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/PacTec/82404-510-000-PT-10-BLACK-Kit?qs=e%2B5Je2AHyOgfrQE7/pAkPA==
That looks very good. Did you test it? A good shape if you wanna play with the arcade stick set on the desk, but, In my experience I wouldn't find it very comfortable to play with it on the lap. For instance, I can't play with my Neo Geo AES arcade stick on my lap, but it is very comfortable to play with it set on the desk.

Could you share the model of that "cord stopper"? I've got a stick with a quarter sized hole in the rear that I need to somehow keep the cable from pulling out of and this is the sort of thing I've been looking for but can't figure out the name of, ha.
Sorry, I don't know the exact name of the cord stopper model. It came with the wiring set. But I am sure it will be easy to find it online.

Very cool! I’ve wired up a few Mayflash sticks for DB15 and have done tons of mods on various others but have never built a stick from scratch.

+1 on that PacTec case @RGB recommended. The first sticks I ever made used that case and it's really nice for the price. Super thin and you have to be very strategic about where everything goes but it works great.

I only know as I was looking recently but search for 'strain relief bush' (giggity).

I've not seen them as large as quarter sized (~25mm), the biggest I've seen is 16mm which may well then have too large of a center section to grip your wire anyway. You could use a blanking grommet that's big enough to fill your hole and then fit a suitable strain relief bush in the center of that.

I've not seen them as large as quarter sized (~25mm), the biggest I've seen is 16mm which may well then have too large of a center section to grip your wire anyway. You could use a blanking grommet that's big enough to fill your hole and then fit a suitable strain relief bush in the center of that.
I'm not 100% sure it's quarter sized, but it's Neutrik plate sized. But as I'm using the stick for Neo, there's no reason to translate it to something I can use with USB/CAT6 and then back with different PCBs.

If its a Neutrik plate sized hole, and you want to use CAT6, how about using a Neutrik RJ45 chassis socket?

1698698958890.png

If its a Neutrik plate sized hole, and you want to use CAT6, how about using a Neutrik RJ45 chassis socket?
Apologies, I do /not/ want to use CAT6 or USB. The Neo is straight wired DB15, and I'd like to just use that, but the giant hole in the back of the stick is going to end up with the wiring just getting yanked on I'm sure.

+1 on that PacTec case @RGB recommended. The first sticks I ever made used that case and it's really nice for the price. Super thin and you have to be very strategic about where everything goes but it works great.
I will definitely try to make one with it. Is it hard to drill the holes on that kind of 'plastic'?

Back