What's new
did you still had the ''back to menu'' issue in your last tests? I have seen that you had two menu folders in the card (menu and menu1) your menu folder looked like the correct version (didn't look at the menu1 content)

I wasn't able to get the full list of games from your SD card as it came to me.After reformat it, I can see everything.. Maybe formatting was the reason (I would never trust windows10 to format in FAT32)

I will do some more testing today..

Yes, all the probs were the same. Menu1 is the 'old' version which, TBH I have never used. Thanks for this, hopefully we can nail this

@deibit interesting. Seems I have the same setup as you do, HAS 3.1 and MWP 606 PSU. I've done most testing on the cab though (NAC with NVS4000). Will try more on the HAS after the weekend (currently not home for 2 days).

Edit: oh no I don't have @'kioku25''s stick anymore to test with so it is going to take longer. Waiting for the saturn to db15 connector from @'RGB' now :)

I looked better the game list and yes, it's showing exactly 220 games, but in the SD there are 249 games plus the menu, so yes not everything is being shown (i didnt pay attention on the initial amount in the card)

i thought it was a problem because of too many files in the games root, and created 10 empty folders in the game root to see what happens.

After rebooting, 224 games were shown in the menu (not all, but more than before)

i removed the 10 fake folders i created, and then 220 games were shown (again)

i created then 5 fake subfolders in games, and then 224 games are shown (the same than when i added the 10 folders)

so there seem to be a kind of weird pattern that triggers that more or less games are shown in the menu list, depending on what was written in the sd-card

@Darksoft any idea? :)

Last edited:
@Mitsurugi-w

On my other two 4 slots I have the same behavior between them. They're both on a stock BIOS. They both will load any game into slot 1, and that will work, but there's no swapping between games. And if left in attract mode it won't fine the second or third slots either.

I don't seem to have any graphical issues, or crashes from what time I've spent with it (mostly Crossed Swords 2, but I messed around with a bunch of other games too). It just acts like a one slot even if it has flashed all three games.
You can't manually switch the slots? It doesn't autoswitch the slots, you have to tell it to. Also it doesn't cycle the games in attract mode.

Also, on a multislot pcb the game switch button will act as coin up if there is only one slot filled. So if you have multiple carts on your pcb and it is doing that with the switch button then the pcb isn't detecting all the carts. The game switch button is not used by the multi.

2- bootloop in slot 2 (glitch disappeared after reprograming)
I'm able now to reproduce this small glitch.. it happens with Aero Fighters 2 (at least), if i insert a credit while the neo-geo annoying start music is still playing, the game enters in a bootloop. and if you switch slots and try to go back to the game, the bootloop stars again.

At least it happened to me again (three times already)

The ones that seemed to cause a lot of problems for me are, Neo Bomberman, Pulstar and Shock Troopers 2 although ST2 would work for about 10 mins before the boot loop/crash

So summarizing, we have the encountered the following issues:

@t-m 4 slot. This is a problem known to happen with 4 slot and 6 slot. It needs a firm upgrade. For now as the instructions specify, we advice NOT to use 4 slots and 6 slots.
To follow this up I fixed my MV -1FZ (bad BIOS socket!) and there are no pixel glitches with this mobo

Also it doesn't cycle the games in attract mode.
The game switch button is not used by the multi.
Odd.

I'll check it out. Possibly just user error on those two 4-slots then.

On that first one though, it still acts super wonky. You can't get back to the menu from the Press S guy, and it crashes mid-game.

I'm pretty sure the two working ones are the big 4-slots, and the one that acts wonky is the small 4-slot, but it could be the other way around. I'll confirm this in a bit.

Also, on a multislot pcb the game switch button will act as coin up if there is only one slot filled.
This is not how the 4-slots I have that work with the multi operate. Switch button attempts to switch games (blank screen, resets the currently running game).

Only on the 4-slot that it crashes on constantly does it act as coin up.

For all intents and purposes the bigger 4-slots seem to work just fine in the couple hours I've played with it. The ones with the Headphones and cab volume sliders on different edges of the PCB. The only issue I've run into aside from the switch button not coining up (which I only now know is an issue), is that maybe 1/5 times it will completely ignore pressing start during the "Press S" screen.

The smaller one with the headphones and cab volume sliders both on the same edge of the PCB doesn't seem to work at all.

For easier, condensed reading here are the results of my testing from all previous posts:

Small 4-slot (Volume sliders both on same edge):

• Crashes ~1-2 minutes into all games I've tried. The menu doesn't crash even after an hour of sitting on it.
  • Won't switch games with Up and Start.
  • Can't get to menu from the Press S screen, but can get there in-game holding Right and Start in-game.
2x Large 4-slots (volume sliders on separate edges):

• 1/5 times or so it won't accept Start during Press S screen. Can press, press and hold, tap repeatedly, just sometimes it's ignored entirely.
  • Switch Game button doesn't coin up, it attempts to switch games, which is inconsistent with what Mitsu said is proper behavior.
  • Otherwise works great!

Last edited:
@rewrite can you please post EXACTLY which versions of motherboard are those? MV-4F? MV-4FS? Also which BIOS are you using on each? Stock or UNIBIOS?

@Mitsu, which one do you have? This looks like a firm problem that we'll try to fix ASAP.

Finally got some time to test more on my setup;

- MV-1FT with 5.02v on the Jamma edge
- Stock Bios
- Kingston 16gb card formatted with Win7 tool and biggest cluster size
- Smokemonster Beta pack with latest menu in both places

After swapping games back and forth the last hour or so and dropping some credits, playing few minutes, swapping games etc. I haven’t reproduced the issues we had with @Sp33dFr34k’s MV-1F

Only issues I’ve seen so far;
- games list only shows 220 games (so missing Winsjammers and Zupapa for example)
- Viewpoint is in a boot loop after 2-3 seconds sitting in the title screen.
EDIT; reflashing Viewpoint fixed the issue...

I’ll leave it running in attract mode now for a while and will start playing some games for real and report back :D

Last edited:
following with the issue of the missing games in the list..

I have shortened the list of games to 168 in the SD (removing bootlegs, hacks, protos and alternate)..

I loaded the multi and only 162 are shown (one of them for example Aerofighters3)... so there's definitely something strange here..

1 other strange thing I encountered (multiple times), is that I cannot select a game after the guy has started counting down. ( even when he starts counting down from 9)
Button A, C and Start do nothing, button B does something and shows a message;
Updating menu, followed by, turn power off then on.

Not a deal breaker as long as I select a game before the guy starts counting down, but not the way the counter is intended I would say...

Last edited:
Okay, so I prepped my 2 SD cards again with the cluster size of 64kb.

First the Samsung Evo +, 1st boot, went very well. All games in the list. Booted 3 games in 3 slots:

Flipshot
Blazing Star
Blues Journey

Played every game for about 1-2 levels or matches then switched. I did this 8 times in a row and worked perfectly! The fun ended when returning to menu. Okay fair enough as Mitsu said don't use it so I did a reboot. Nope, only a few games show up. Again reboot, no games found. Again reboot, only a few games again. Again reboot, hey my games are back in their slots! Hmm, let's select a game to play, button to select slots doesn't work, first gamw autoboots. Straight into exception handling.. okay enough of this card.

Next Sandisk ultra, no games found. Next boot, only 1,5 page of games. No success at all with this one while I did the exact same thing with both cards.

Just to be clear, I did a backup memory reset before switching cards using the dips on/off method.

Any other tips?
As I said, clearly a problem reading the directory IMHO. The right procedure to get it back to normal until we fix it is:
* reset backup memory
* power off
* remove microSD
* Remove BUFF file
* Insert microSD again
* Power On
That should make things go back to normal. AFAWK Problem comes from going back to menu.

If you are having problems after using QuickLaunch (games not showing up, or menu not rebooting after hitting EXIT), avoid using it for now please.

1 other strange thing I encountered (multiple times), is that I cannot select a game after the guy has started counting down. ( even when he starts counting down from 9)
yep, that seems to be a feature... :)

@rewrite can you please post EXACTLY which versions of motherboard are those? MV-4F? MV-4FS? Also which BIOS are you using on each? Stock or UNIBIOS?

@Mitsu, which one do you have? This looks like a firm problem that we'll try to fix ASAP.
"NEO MVH 4-SLOT" are the only markings I see on the two working ones, with stock BIOS.

The other one, I'm still trying to find a screwdriver to get the metal cage off of. I set it down somewhere last night and *poof*.

Back