What's new
3 times out of 5. Everything works fine when flashing and playing games. However, I'm still getting the "No Games Found" error every now and then, and almost always on the first boot after not using it for some time.

Also, when booting the cart with new game flashes or even from a cold boot, sometimes it randomly goes to "Initialize File System" again, sits for a short while, and at which point audio in games exhibit huge spikes in volume that cause crackle. If I power cycle, usually the cart boots fine and audio is perfect... Random errors, but any ideas?
Did you put in a fresh battery ?

As I said earlier the multi stores some magic info in NVRAM and if that is corrupted it will go through the motions again.

@Darksoft -- Have done those steps before, will try again. I usually clear the RAM and delete recreate the card without the MUFF.

@Frank_fjs -- using Terminal on a Mac to format the card, have used Disk Utility also. Am also aware to block the hidden files from being created.

@rtw -- Yep, got the new battery in, but also had this issue without a battery.

I've tried a Kingston 16GB and am using the SanDisk Ultra that I used to use with the cart. The only other thing new introduced into the chain is the cut trace.

Macs always seem to stuff things up. Noticed it within the RetroPie community. They just seem to screw up writing to SD cards.

No access to a Windows PC?

Macs always seem to stuff things up. Noticed it within the RetroPie community. They just seem to screw up writing to SD cards.

No access to a Windows PC?
They use Windows at work and I'm there on the weekend. If I have no luck, I'm going to try that route, and also wait for the new Firmware/Menu. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong and nothing with the cart. Just trying to figure it all out.

You need to get this multi by the way!

You need to get this multi by the way!
I need all the multis!

Neo is probably last on the wish list though. I'm saving my pennies and hanging out for the CPS1 multi, that's my priority right now. F3 will follow, MVS will have to wait.

As long as you run dot_clean the Mac will work fine for writing SD cards for RPi or multis

Source: all of my RPi and multi kit SD cards have been done on a MacBook Air :P

@rtw -- Yep, got the new battery in, but also had this issue without a battery.

I've tried a Kingston 16GB and am using the SanDisk Ultra that I used to use with the cart. The only other thing new introduced into the chain is the cut trace.
Then you have exactly the same problem that I have, will follow closely ... :D

that can't be the source of the problem, unless you cut somewhere around and still I doubt it would have such a behaviour.

You may have accidentally pulled the microSD slot which could explain the random "no microSD found", but not the fact that it uploads properly the flash.img and not the top.

I believe we are looking at a microSD issue here. Try using that dot_clean again and with a different card, one just empty and with the file top in update folder.

that can't be the source of the problem, unless you cut somewhere around and still I doubt it would have such a behaviour.
You may have accidentally pulled the microSD slot which could explain the random "no microSD found", but not the fact that it uploads properly the flash.img and not the top.

I believe we are looking at a microSD issue here. Try using that dot_clean again and with a different card, one just empty and with the file top in update folder.
I was super careful when cutting the trace but even more careful when removing the shell (I read instructions well). The “no games found” error usually happens on first boot. And only happens after random “initializing file system” prompts. It’s nothing major. Just troubleshooting.

I agree. It sounds like a sd problem. I will get onto it.

I haven’t updated the Top file by the way, never tried. Could that be the issue?

Updated the cart and the Top file, will report back after a while testing.

Also, managed to record a little video of the line glitches I was talking about. This happens on other games aside from Pulstar, but not all the time.

I may be misremembering, but I think Pulstar's random background tile glitch on the Stage Select screen happens with the original cart. I can double-check it later with my original MVS cart to be sure.

I can check on my original cart as well, I don't remember the glitching but I guess if I wasn't looking for it I wouldn't notice

Changed SD cards and actually deleted the whole thing and started from scratch with a fresh download of teh roll up pack. I haven't got the "no game found" error thus far after testing for some time which is good. The minor glitches in Pulstar above, I'm not too concerned about.

This is the FINAL issue I'm having -- Getting sound farts, particularly noticable on KOF games, but across all slots/games from time-to-time. It's almost like it's spitting out hot audio or can't handle certain freqencies.

I've tested it on Mono and Stereo and have adjusted the volumes accordingly within range. Even at the lowest of volumes, I get the spikes. I am unsure if this is a motherboard problem or cart problem, or even a reported problem?

If I cycle power on the cab/supergun once or twice, usually the same flashed slots work just fine and I don't get the sound farts.

Whadday'a guys reckon? Thank you for my daily diagnosises cart doctors...

Now that I've never heard before. Do you have the sound pot on the pcb turned up real high?

Now that I've never heard before. Do you have the sound pot on the pcb turned up real high?
Not at all. My cab or supergun output is adjusted in the middle, and I usually adjust the game pot accordingly (usually in the middle). Even if I go down to the lowest audiable setting on the PVM or cab, and the lowest setting on the Neo Geo, it's still the same fart I hear, but just lower. Very strange. It is a newly acquired motherboard, but other carts I have work fine on it.

Have also checked the 5 and 12 volt accordingly and it's well flat within ranges.

Last edited:
Back