What's new
1. I've gotten that sometimes but it's been a very long time since the last time. Probably an SD card issue.

2. Hopefully this will be fixed with the next update. It's one of the top two things DS is working on in the FW. The menu has been fixed but is waiting for the FW update to be implemented.

3. I've never noticed this so can't really comment on it.

Cheers for the replies. I will try another SD card, I assumed the "no games found" could also have something to do with the lack of battery as it usually happens from a cold boot after not using the cart for some time.

The graphic glitches (if you even want to call them that) are really just a very slight minor inconvinence really. Hard to explain but it's just a flash line of static, similar to the menu glitch -- and only when a game switches to a new screen (fade to black). Not as pronouced as @Nimmers issue, and he tried a regular cart and noticed the same, so who knows...

Anyhows, I've loaded about 30 games thus far and it's been awesome. Looking forward to the next update. Thankful for this multi, especially now that it's running so fast and well.

I will try another SD card, I assumed the "no games found" could also have something to do with the lack of battery as it usually happens from a cold boot after not using the cart for some time.
Huh. You could be onto something there. I don't think I've had the issue since I installed a battery. Let us know.

It's the battery, the multi stores configuration parameters in battery backed NVRAM. If RAM is bad/corrupted you get the issue.

Last edited:
I can install a battery if that’s the case. I removed it because I remove the batteries on any Neo boards that cross my path.

Easy enough to throw on a CR2032 and disable the charge circuit though (I may have already disabled the charge circuit on it, I forget now)

I can install a battery if that’s the case. I removed it because I remove the batteries on any Neo boards that cross my path.

Easy enough to throw on a CR2032 and disable the charge circuit though (I may have already disabled the charge circuit on it, I forget now)
It’s a nice motherboard, such a big difference from the other ones. Thanks for bringing it around man. Can I get the parts to solder a holder from Jaycar?

Yep. Check next to the battery on that board and see if I removed the charging resistor first. If I didn’t you can order a rechargeable 2032 or remove it and install a standard one

I'd remove it if it hasn't been done already. A CR2032 lasts a long time, way longer than a rechargeable one as you probably don't use it too often/long enough to properly charge it. And even if so, it's loosing its charge pretty quickly.

I’m fairly sure I removed it. I usually pull it out when I remove the battery because I don’t use batteries on Neo boards

What's the best way to replace the battery ?

Anyone have any links to good battery holders and the elusive resistor to remove ?

Units are:
MV1FZ
MV1F
[I have searched but didn't find anything conclusive, so I thought I would ask the experts :D ]

Last edited:
The resistor is a 470ohm resistor literally right next to the battery

Battery holders should be easily obtainable from your local electronics hobby shop or Element14/Mouser/RS/Arrow etc depending on country

If @djsheep can take a photo of the battery area on his board you can see the resistor (1F)

If @djsheep can take a photo of the battery area on his board you can see the resistor (1F)
I see you already removed the 470ohm resistor. I think the biggest tackle here now would be getting that foam off the motherboard ;)
mvsbattery1.JPG

I'm assuming I can just grab one of these and go for it?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/cr2032-vc-3v-pcb-mounting-lithium-coin-battery/p/SB1762
https://www.jaycar.com.au/cr-2430-3v-pcb-mounting-lithium-coin-battery/p/SB1760

Attachments

• mvsbattery2.JPG
    mvsbattery2.JPG
    507.4 KB · Views: 136
Make your life easier :P

https://www.jaycar.com.au/20mm-button-cell-battery-holder/p/PH9238 - Battery holder
https://www.jaycar.com.au/cr2032-3v-lithium-battery/p/SB2522 - Battery
Or

https://www.jaycar.com.au/panasonic-cr2032-lithium-battery/p/SB2944 - Panasonic battery

The holder means you can replace it much more easily than a soldered in battery. Plus the pins on that PCB mount battery aren't designed for Neo (but that battery is perfect for a Dreamcast ;) )

Also, I cleaned up the foam around the pads for the battery so I could remove the battery with the desoldering gun. I remember that board. I had a LOT of trouble trying to clean up the foam for the resistor pins so I gave up and cut it instead. The foam on that board was very difficult, it's gone completely rock solid and it just flakes off when you try to clean it up. I'd leave it, you should still have access to the pads to install the battery holder.

Doesn't seem to say the holder is included. Just the battery.

I thought the same but the linked datasheet shows it with the holder?

Yeah the datasheet seems to be for the socket. There are no mounting specs in the data for the battery so that would tell me it's just the battery....

Who wants to be the Guinea pig? :)

Back