What's new
Thanks @xodaraP :thumbup:

Mouser won't ship to me since "battery" but the holder is available.

BUT ...

The battery on my PCB is a 3.6V battery why are we replacing it with a 3.0V ?

And what is the exact spacing between the pin holes ?

The factory installed coin cells on later boards are 2032 3v coin cells - 3v is fine.

I think 3.6v NiCd was used because that’s what was available at the time. Also, lithium cells are far more efficient. You’re not recharging it so the discharge voltage being lower isn’t a problem

Good question on the pins, I’m actually not sure but that datasheet will tell you

Edit: Datasheet says 20.5mm between pins

I usually get those holders at my local electronics store :)

Not worth shipping a €1 holder ;)

Salvaged the coin cell holder and battery from my old “China Only Sale” FZ motherboard. Soldered it in and it’s saving preferences now (no more Axel F!). I did get the “no games found” prompt once. But I reset the RAM and deleted the BUFF file, so that’s prolly why. Time for some gaming (stress testing).

Why not just leave the charging circuit intact and use a rechargeable battery, LIR2032?

Or ML2032

I already disabled the circuit though so that would need to be reinstated :P

Aye but I mean in general, is there a reason people are avoiding rechargeable coin cell batteries? Install it with the holder, easily remove battery for periods of lengthy non use.

Aye but I mean in general, is there a reason people are avoiding rechargeable coin cell batteries? Install it with the holder, easily remove battery for periods of lengthy non use.
The rechargeable coin cells tend to be harder to find (not these days but they used to be very hard to find), more expensive and guides usually include instructions to remove the resistor

Convenience is the driving factor I guess

Plus if you don't power the pcb for a few weeks it will most likely have died. Regular Coin cell batteries last much longer.

Did some extensive testing with the Multi on the Supergun and Cab.

3 times out of 5. Everything works fine when flashing and playing games. However, I'm still getting the "No Games Found" error every now and then, and almost always on the first boot after not using it for some time.

Also, when booting the cart with new game flashes or even from a cold boot, sometimes it randomly goes to "Initialize File System" again, sits for a short while, and at which point audio in games exhibit huge spikes in volume that cause crackle. If I power cycle, usually the cart boots fine and audio is perfect... Random errors, but any ideas?

Are you prepping the SD card with a Windows PC or Mac?

I did get the “no games found” prompt once. But I reset the RAM and deleted the BUFF file, so that’s prolly why.
Nope, no relation between those two. I'd check your microSD on a PC for errors. Also make sure that you delete BUFF file following the right order.

First remove microsd, then delete NVRAM, then delete BUFF file and put back microSD in multi. If you dont do it in that order, the settings will be transfered from BUFF to NVRAM again and again.

Back