What's new
Let me know how you get on with it. Thanks
I played a round of Neo Turf Masters to test out my cart.

Here are the results:

Set High Score
save_high_score.jpg

Load High Score (power off for 30 seconds)
load_high_score.jpg

Save Management (item #4)
save_states.jpg

Check your "Save State" menu and see if it's populated.

This is from the manual:

Next Option is Manage Save States (MVS Only) From here you can backup or restore the information stored in Backup Ram from/to the microSD. Notice that the NeoGeo can store up to a maximum of information for 6 games, that includes settings, Highscore, etc. If you install a new game in the motherboard (or the multi) The NeoGeo BIOS will automatically remove the information of one of these games from Backup Ram in order to make available space for the newly installed game

If it's not, you might want to try clearing the backup ram from the multi-cart menu.

Do you have uni-bios?

If you do - are your uni-bios region/mode (MVS/AES) settings saved?

What about soft-dips? Are those settings being saved?

Set the date/time in the system menu and see if that is retained.

Without a regular cart to use - we can use uni-bios settings, soft-dips, or calendar to determine if your backup ram is working.

I played a round of Neo Turf Masters to test out my cart.

Here are the results:

Set High Score
save_high_score.jpg

Load High Score (power off for 30 seconds)
load_high_score.jpg

Save Management (item #4)
save_states.jpg

Check your "Save State" menu and see if it's populated.

This is from the manual:

If it's not, you might want to try clearing the backup ram from the multi-cart menu.

Do you have uni-bios?

If you do - are your uni-bios region/mode (MVS/AES) settings saved?

What about soft-dips? Are those settings being saved?

Set the date/time in the system menu and see if that is retained.

Without a regular cart to use - we can use uni-bios settings, soft-dips, or calendar to determine if your backup ram is working.
I set the date and time,powered off for a minute then turned it back on. It didn’t save

You need to disable the charging circuit in that case. There’s info on the forum about that.
I’ll get another battery and see if it works. If it does I’ll look into converting it to a non recharable. Thanks for the advice

I set the date and time,powered off for a minute then turned it back on. It didn’t save
Well there you have it.

Your unit isn't working correctly.

I would not modify the charging circuit to accept a regular CR2032 battery. It's hit-or-miss whether your board will cause the battery to drain due to a faulty diode or other component. I've literally had 50% success with it. You can search around and find threads related to the issue.

I've had boards that worked perfectly but had an old battery - I've done the CR2032 battery mod and had the battery drain issue.

2.5v is probably fine (imo) l. I've had a few that were around there and they held settings just fine for quite a while.

You can try replacing the battery with another LR2032 to see if it helps. Maybe it will, and it's easy enough to try.

You are about to go down a road that could be a pain in the ass. I just wanted to warn you before you start. There's nothing wrong with fixing the board, but it might be better to consider the path of least resistance.

It sounds like your board has other issues as well. You said there was no sound?

The mv1b is an inexpensive board. Unless it is being used in a special configuration, I would replace the PCB. You can get them from between $35 and $70 from multiple sources.

This topic can probably also be moved to the Neo Geo general tech forum.

Well there you have it.

Your unit isn't working correctly.

I would not modify the charging circuit to accept a regular CR2032 battery. It's hit-or-miss whether your board will cause the battery to drain due to a faulty diode or other component. I've literally had 50% success with it. You can search around and find threads related to the issue.

I've had boards that worked perfectly but had an old battery - I've done the CR2032 battery mod and had the battery drain issue.

2.5v is probably fine (imo) l. I've had a few that were around there and they held settings just fine for quite a while.

You can try replacing the battery with another LR2032 to see if it helps. Maybe it will, and it's easy enough to try.

You are about to go down a road that could be a pain in the ass. I just wanted to warn you before you start. There's nothing wrong with fixing the board, but it might be better to consider the path of least resistance.

It sounds like your board has other issues as well. You said there was no sound?

The mv1b is an inexpensive board. Unless it is being used in a special configuration, I would replace the PCB. You can get them from between $35 and $70 from multiple sources.

This topic can probably also be moved to the Neo Geo general tech forum.
Thanks for the reply. The sound issues I’ve been having only happen on a couple of games-Baseball and Ghost Pilots.
I’ll try another battery and if that doesn’t work I know someone that will be able to look at my board and hopefully repair it

Thanks for the reply. The sound issues I’ve been having only happen on a couple of games-Baseball and Ghost Pilots.
I’ll try another battery and if that doesn’t work I know someone that will be able to look at my board and hopefully repair it

Good luck with it.

Where exactly do you see the sound issues? I can use my cart to compare.

Good luck with it.

Where exactly do you see the sound issues? I can use my cart to compare.
Thanks sounds like I’m going to need it!

The sound disappears after 5 mins with Baseball Stars 2 and there is no sound when I initially start up Ghost Pilots. I did a soft reboot and the sound came back.

A strange thing happened when I swapped Cyber Lip for Baseball Stars in the same slot though. Cyber Lip had the Baseball commentary. I turned it on and off and all was ok

Thanks sounds like I’m going to need it!

The sound disappears after 5 mins with Baseball Stars 2 and there is no sound when I initially start up Ghost Pilots. I did a soft reboot and the sound came back.

A strange thing happened when I swapped Cyber Lip for Baseball Stars in the same slot though. Cyber Lip had the Baseball commentary. I turned it on and off and all was ok
I tried all the games you mentioned and didn't experience any of the issues that you had.

Have you checked your voltage? Are you running close to 5v?

Thanks for that. Yes I’m running as close to 5v as I can. Someone I know has a 161-1 Multicart so he is going to lend me that to check out if the games run ok with that

Thanks for that. Yes I’m running as close to 5v as I can. Someone I know has a 161-1 Multicart so he is going to lend me that to check out if the games run ok with that
Good idea.

What kind of setup are you running?

Cabinet? Supergun? Cmvs? Unibios or no?

The 161 n 1 does not save high scores unless it is in PICKnMIX mode.

If you start the system with the cart in and don't enable PICKnMIX it will clear the backup ram.

And (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the 161 n 1 is also unique in that the soft dips are stored on the cart.

PICKnMIX requires unibios. Hold start at power on to enable.

Good idea.

What kind of setup are you running?

Cabinet? Supergun? Cmvs? Unibios or no?

The 161 n 1 does not save high scores unless it is in PICKnMIX mode.

If you start the system with the cart in and don't enable PICKnMIX it will clear the backup ram.

And (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the 161 n 1 is also unique in that the soft dips are stored on the cart.

PICKnMIX requires unibios. Hold start at power on to enable.
This is my set up and I didn’t know that about the 161-1 cart. I’m new to all this tbh. I have Unibios 4.0 installed

Attachments

• A659CFE0-B307-4661-9F70-E6A3392D3B1C.jpeg
    A659CFE0-B307-4661-9F70-E6A3392D3B1C.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 103
I have a similar Supergun but I've never used it with my multi-MVS. It was my first Supergun and I used it with an mv1c and 161 in 1.

What kind of power supply are you using? What's the amp rating? It's a 12v supply, right?

The Multi-MVS might need more amps than you are getting.

You never mentioned if you have unibios or not.

I'll try mine out with the multi MVS and see how it goes.

I have a similar Supergun but I've never used it with my multi-MVS. It was my first Supergun and I used it with an mv1c and 161 in 1.

What kind of power supply are you using? What's the amp rating? It's a 12v supply, right?

The Multi-MVS might need more amps than you are getting.

You never mentioned if you have unibios or not.

I'll try mine out with the multi MVS and see how it goes.
I have unibios 4.0. Yes the power supply is 12v and I can’t remember the amp rating but it is definitely more that enough for that Supergun. Yes that would be good if you could give yours a try. Thanks

I have unibios 4.0. Yes the power supply is 12v and I can’t remember the amp rating but it is definitely more that enough for that Supergun. Yes that would be good if you could give yours a try. Thanks
Also I can’t adjust my Supergun below 5.15v Maybe that would cause some problems?

One more thing. Every time the cart boots it goes to default settings
You can just edit your last reply if you want to add something.

The amp rating is not for the Supergun, it's for the PCB. The more complex the PCB the more amps you need. Different PCBs will have different requirements. The Multi-MVS will probably need more than a regular cart.

I wouldn't go less than 3a with a normal MVS setup. The AES uses 3a and can play the MVS carts using an adapter. So that's how I come up with 3a (and I have a setup with 3a that works fine with regular carts). With the Multi-MVS you might want a little more.

I tested my cart using my red Chinese Supergun last night with a 12v 5A AC adapter and it ran fine for the most part.

I can't say if it's the Multi-MVS or my mv1a - but I do seem to get sound dropouts every now and then. I haven't spent enough time with my multi-MVS or my mv1a to know which is the culprit. I'll try the mv1c later.

You also want to make sure they are good clean amps. They can write anything on the power brick label. I have one labeled 8a and I'd be shocked if it was over 3a.

I loaded up turf Masters in a different slot tonight and my scores were reset even though the game still occupies the same backup ram bank location. I haven't used any other carts and my backup ram is holding my unibios settings fine.

Either I don't understand how I'm supposed to use backup ram and it's management with this cart or something is a little off. It seems to me my scores should still be there.

5.15v is probably fine for the MVS. Some other boards maybe more sensitive. I haven't come across any that are that sensitive to .15 extra v but I have only tested 30+ PCB and there are many more than that in the wild.

You can just edit your last reply if you want to add something.

The amp rating is not for the Supergun, it's for the PCB. The more complex the PCB the more amps you need. Different PCBs will have different requirements. The Multi-MVS will probably need more than a regular cart.

I wouldn't go less than 3a with a normal MVS setup. The AES uses 3a and can play the MVS carts using an adapter. So that's how I come up with 3a (and I have a setup with 3a that works fine with regular carts). With the Multi-MVS you might want a little more.

I tested my cart using my red Chinese Supergun last night with a 12v 5A AC adapter and it ran fine for the most part.

I can't say if it's the Multi-MVS or my mv1a - but I do seem to get sound dropouts every now and then. I haven't spent enough time with my multi-MVS or my mv1a to know which is the culprit. I'll try the mv1c later.

You also want to make sure they are good clean amps. They can write anything on the power brick label. I have one labeled 8a and I'd be shocked if it was over 3a.

I loaded up turf Masters in a different slot tonight and my scores were reset even though the game still occupies the same backup ram bank location. I haven't used any other carts and my backup ram is holding my unibios settings fine.

Either I don't understand how I'm supposed to use backup ram and it's management with this cart or something is a little off. It seems to me my scores should still be there.

5.15v is probably fine for the MVS. Some other boards maybe more sensitive. I haven't come across any that are that sensitive to .15 extra v but I have only tested 30+ PCB and there are many more than that in the wild.
I have a Leicke power supply which is 10a so I’m thinking that isn’t the problem but who knows?

What sounds issues were you having?

I don’t really understand how the save states work tbh

I’ve just purchased a sensible priced and working 1a board that is arriving next week so I’m going to test the cart with that

I’ve just tested Baseball Stars on a 161-1 multi cart and I had no issues whatsoever

Last edited:
Back