What's new
nope. You should see 0x03b2.

I updated the text for the new FW update but some.last minute things stopped me from releasing it. My bad :whistling:

Just updated but can't get it to boot anymore, followed the directions from the OP

- remove cart then boot and clear NVRAM
- copy new files to SDCARD in /update/menu
- delete BUFF file

Put it in neogeo - power on, seems to of updated, left it for 3-4mins
reboot - Unibios screen (no longer corrupted), Please wait, checking filesystem, intializing, then black screen

keep waiting still black screen 5mins later. If i then power off/on same thing unibios/pleasewait/checking filesystem/initializing/black screen

any ideas?

I did the following:

#1 removed SD card
#2 cleared NVRAM
#3 deleted BUFF file on the SD card
#4 copied flash.img file to update folder of the SD card
#5 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#6 removed SD card
#7 cleared NVRAM
#8 deleted BUFF file on the SD card
#9 copied top file to update folder of the SD card
#10 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#11 removed SD card
#12 cleared NVRAM
#13 deleted BUFF file on the SD card
#14 copied menu folder with files to update folder of the SD card
#15 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#16 power cycling - done

The link to the menu file is correct? When I click Mediafire's link appears menu_20181017.7z. instead of 20181129. Is that correct?

Just updated but can't get it to boot anymore, followed the directions from the OP

- remove cart then boot and clear NVRAM
- copy new files to SDCARD in /update/menu
- delete BUFF file

Put it in neogeo - power on, seems to of updated, left it for 3-4mins
reboot - Unibios screen (no longer corrupted), Please wait, checking filesystem, intializing, then black screen

keep waiting still black screen 5mins later. If i then power off/on same thing unibios/pleasewait/checking filesystem/initializing/black screen

any ideas?
I just tried again with a different neogeo board (delelte buff and copy update across again and did all the steps, clear NVRAM etc)

First try was with mv2fs board with unibios, second try now with mv1b with OG bios

boots to crosshatch, auto reboot after update, initializing filesystem, then white line down left hand side of screen, leave it for 5 mins, still on that screen with a white line, power off/on message "restoring to defaults" then black screen again waiting on black screen for 2-3mins.

Power on/off again - "restoring to defaults", then quickly says "initializing" then black screen again and not getting further

If i take out the SDcard to check the filesystem it has recreated the BUFF file and the update files are gone so i assume the update is completing ok?

I do have a 3rd board i can test it in, will wait to see what darksoft says.

I have 3 neogeo boards - MV2FS, MV1B and MV1FS

I did the following:

#1 removed SD card
#2 cleared NVRAM
#5 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#6 removed SD card
#7 cleared NVRAM
#10 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#11 removed SD card
#12 cleared NVRAM
#15 put SD card back into the MVS, powered MVS on and waited until the update was finished
#16 power cycling - done
I followed these instructions and it worked perfectly.

Region switching now works!!! So awesome... @Darksoft - you are badass! Can't wait for the AES version :)

Metal Slug 4 doesn't seem to work.

Now it gives the error saying how it should only be run on legitimate SNK boards. Tried swapping regions, and that didn't do anything to resolve it. Not sure what else to try. Once that screen pops up you can't swap games any longer..

Formatted the card, put everything back in with the updates. Other games run fine, but not MS4 (tried all 3 slots).

signal-attachment-2018-11-30-201447.jpeg

Edit: Metal Slug 5 also does this.

Also does SSV:Special normally give you the "Game Start" and "Options" options upon entering a credit? Isn't that an AES feature, not an MVS feature? I double-checked and it says I'm in MVS mode...

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the update !

Tested with kof98 for almost 20 minutes it's still having the same bug on my side (characters go outside the screen, hangs on vs screen).

Metal Slug 4 and 5 work fine on my setup, but I can't go back to the menu I get a black screen with these games.

Keep going on the hard work

Last edited:
Metal Slug 4 doesn't seem to work.

Now it gives the error saying how it should only be run on legitimate SNK boards. Tried swapping regions, and that didn't do anything to resolve it. Not sure what else to try. Once that screen pops up you can't swap games any longer..

Formatted the card, put everything back in with the updates. Other games run fine, but not MS4 (tried all 3 slots).

signal-attachment-2018-11-30-201447.jpeg

Edit: Metal Slug 5 also does this.

Also does SSV:Special normally give you the "Game Start" and "Options" options upon entering a credit? Isn't that an AES feature, not an MVS feature? I double-checked and it says I'm in MVS mode...
I didn't seem to have any trouble with MS5 - with MS4 it works fine, but I do get garbled graphics at the first screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 145
Hey @rewrite - I think you are somehow stuck in AES mode - maybe clear NVRAM and try to get back into MVS mode? When I set mine to AES mode I could duplicate your MS4 and SSV:Special issues...

Hey @rewrite - I think you are somehow stuck in AES mode - maybe clear NVRAM and try to get back into MVS mode? When I set mine to AES mode I could duplicate your MS4 and SSV:Special issues...
Yeah, turns out I too had gotten the October Menu mixed with the new firmware, and it sticks you in AES mode despite saying MVS.

Downloaded the 1129 menu and all is good now.

I do get the same garbled first MS4 screen as you though.

I don't have the garbled screen with neither the 4 and 5, but I can't go back to the menu

I did the following:

#1 removed SD card
#2 cleared NVRAM
#6 removed SD card
#7 cleared NVRAM
#11 removed SD card
#12 cleared NVRAM
#16 power cycling - done
Got it working, user error as usual followed your instructions and it worked.

Maybe update the OP with those instructions? I'm sure other users will make my same mistake :)

Followed instructions from @SVM and everything flashed flawlessly.

Initial thoughts: Seems more stable... Only had one random hang when flashing slots, whereas the last firmwares seemed to have more random need for power cycling and hanging.

Very nice to have AES/MVS and region selecting -- Definitely no need for Unibios for me anymore!

Very cool to see more ROMS/Hacks/Prototypes supported -- Iron Clad and Crossed Swords 2 are getting some burn tonight!!! -- hopefully someone will make a full roll up pack to match the supported ROMS on the cart?

A couple of issues I noticed. Digger Man breaks the cart -- can't move between slots (left or right), nor back to the menu with it flashed. Tresure of the Caribbean screwed things up too. I'd never play either of those games, but tried flashing them anyhow for testing.

Need to give it some more time and get a motherboard with working sound to fully enjoy it.

Thank you @Darksoft for the hard work and new update...

Last edited:
Back