What's new
Honestly the freezes were happening on the last firmware also per players at Michigan Masters during the Breakers Revenge tourney. We swapped out to a banana during tourney and I’m still getting them on this update. I’ll try the method you mentioned

Still getting freezes after updating with that method. Still getting the rom warning trying to boot kof98 also.

Maybe this will help I got this: “f~mkfs error 0x01” and also “Warning: File system not ready”

try to follow the step on the previous posts:

I've got the same "File System error" problem and some games like The king of fighters 98 had a very cracking sound:
Video

My initial situation was:
FW Rev: 0x03f3
FW Build: 0xa324
TOP file build: 0x4796
Menu Build date: Mar 24 2019
Menu build time: 11:24:13

I've udated top and flash together (lastest one) after clearing backup ram and deleting buff file then cleared ram and deleted buff again and updated the menu
From there I got the file System error and cracking sound (tried a couple of MVS boards)

I've solved downgrading ONLY the flash file to 20190402_r1040.zip then udating again to the last one. Maybe the problem is that I skipped an update.
Now everything seems to work even if I need more tests.
I hope it helps

Your solution is what Darksoft linked. I followed those steps already and the problem is worse now.

Are you sure that the update went well? Were all the files gone? What is showing now the About section?

The files were removed from the update folder on the SD card and the about section matches the image on page one.

what shows the section about? What did you update that made things go wrong? Flash.img? Top? Menu?
I did flash first, then top, then menu, all individually and separate boots. 100% deleted the buff each time. All three reported correctly. There's other feedback above, so I'll try those suggestions today and report back.
I tried the suggested downgrade/upgrade method and still issues. I do not get the filesystem error anymore, but nearly all the games I still get the Rom error upon booting. There are notably more jumbled characters during the flashing process too. One game that does boot is 2020 Baseball, but as mentioned before, it has about 4-5 columns of white pixels on the far right of the image. It did not do this before.

I 100% deleted the buff and cleared NVRAM prior to each step.

I’m not getting the file system error or “f~mkfs error 0x01” either now after I deleted the game folder and unzipped the roll up pack again. Deleted the buff when doing this also. Figured my issue was maybe the roll up pack so I redid it. At least one issue is gone, but mine is similar to what Noonan is experiencing. I’m getting the rom warning screen. Games either won’t load or they freeze after playing for so long.

I have had the best results doing this...

Format, each and every time you change ANYTHING! Do NOT delete and recopy, I don't care if its only a single file, DON'T.
Do not unzip the SM-ROM pack directly to the SD card. Rather unzip it to a folder on the desktop first, then copy the ENTIRE thing to SD card.
Clear the NVRAM of the MVS before even inserting the cart, then again after.

Perhaps its all in my head, and none of this should matter, but I swear it makes a difference. #tinfoilhatenguage
Oh, also remember to check the menu version contained inside your SM ROM pack, you might have a older version.
If you unzipped to the desktop first as I suggested, just replace the menu BEFORE copying the entire package to SD (again don't delete and recopy ANYTHING on the SD card it self).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the best results doing this...

Format, each and every time you change ANYTHING! Do NOT delete and recopy, I don't care if its only a single file, DON'T.
Do not unzip the SM-ROM pack directly to the SD card. Rather unzip it to a folder on the desktop first, then copy the ENTIRE thing to SD card.
Clear the NVRAM of the MVS before even inserting the cart, then again after.

Perhaps its all in my head, and none of this should matter, but I swear it makes a difference. #tinfoilhatenguage
Oh, also remember to check the menu version contained inside your SM ROM pack, you might have a older version.
If you unzipped to the desktop first as I suggested, just replace the menu BEFORE copying the entire package to SD (again don't delete and recopy ANYTHING on the SD card it self).
i second that - i would reformat the sd card with the SD Memory Card Formatter and the recopy the unzipped sm pack on the card

i took that advice from @jassin000 to heart from the beginning and almost never had any problems with the sd card on any multi - also iirc don't use a mac to prepare the sd-card as it creates a lot of hidden files that may disrupt the functionality of the card.

Still getting either the ROM warning screen or freezes sadly.

Here are the latest steps I took:
Format card
Copy unzipped games folder and update folder with image only
Clear nvram
Confirm in about screen
Power off

Format card
Copy unzipped games folder and update with top
Clear nvram
Confirm in about screen
Power off

Format card
Copy unzipped games folder and update with menu
Clear nvram
Confirm in about screen

Update:
Just formatted the card again and only copied over the games folder since the about screen matched all of the current firmware details.

Kof98 loaded this time but had an almost freeze after a KO, it froze for a bit, but kept on. So I went back to the menu and changed games to tryout other games I had issues with. After loading new games in each slot and waiting the menu to load the changes, it went to an all white screen and is just hanging there.

Last edited:
@Compy905 there is definitely something wrong there. Do you have another mobo that you can try with? Has your mobo a working battery? Which BIOS do you use? Are you based in USA?

Working battery is a must, please add checsumming to the "parameter" block in NVRAM to detect this @Darksoft :D

Working battery is a must, please add checsumming to the "parameter" block in NVRAM to detect this @Darksoft :D
Not possible, by definition data in the backup RAM don't have a static state. Of course some bytes never vary but most of the problems are due to corrupted values in the variables.

Not possible, by definition data in the backup RAM don't have a static state. Of course some bytes never vary but most of the problems are due to corrupted values in the variables.
Each time you write to the NVRAM add 2 bytes as a footer which is the checksum of the written data. Fletcher-16...

If the checksum fail, it means that the the NVRAM cannot retain data.

Each time you write to the NVRAM add 2 bytes as a footer which is the checksum of the written data. Fletcher-16...
If the checksum fail, it means that the the NVRAM cannot retain data.
Not sure if possible since the BIOS writes data too for bookkeeping and play time.
We must check if that information is stored in the game data block or somewhere else in backup RAM (I'm not sure if it's stored separately per game or if it's a global thing).

Back