What's new
So now that we have HOTD2, how difficult would it be to patch the controls on Ninja Assault to use analog input instead of screen position input so that it can be played with Sega IR guns like the rest of the light gun shooters?

@twistedsymphony did you have a chance to test HOTD2 on your setup?

As for Ninja assault, I'd say that it should work with a regular analog gun, the IR gun is at the end of the day inputting to the JVS, two coordinates X/Y which are the same that the analog values do. Unless those guns are connected via Maple port. I don't have the game, so I'm just speculating.

i apologise, i thought airline pilots neded a custom bios like F355 twin.

@Darksoft Ninja Assault uses the Screen Input/Gun Input capability of the JVS Standard, and not just the Analogue Input capability like most other games. This seems to be what Namco does for all their stuff. So unfortunately won't work with a normal gun as standard. I've also tried emulating it with OpenJVS and although I'm sending what I think is correct data, i've never managed to get it to shoot in the right position.

Also @MetalliC definitely owe you a beer! Was about to drop £250 on a hotd2 stack, so you've saved me a lot of cash!

I've also tried emulating it with OpenJVS and although I'm sending what I think is correct data, i've never managed to get it to shoot in the right position.
odd, it should work.
perhaps you doesn't calibrated guns ? this game have no pre-calibrated defaults, it doesnt work until calibrated in test mode. or wrong data range ? should be 12bit (0-FFF, and pos. 0:0 is bottom left screen edge).

@twistedsymphony did you have a chance to test HOTD2 on your setup?
I assumed it had been tested by others already, but if you still want me to test it I'll do that.

As for Ninja assault, I'd say that it should work with a regular analog gun
Ninja Assault does not use analog inputs, that's the problem.

This game uses a special IO board with CRT guns, the IO board then translates the CRT gun position into X/Y coordinates that are sent over JVS as "touch-screen input" coordinates. AFAIK it's the only NAOMI game that works this way.

ninja_assault_pcb.jpg

^You can see it has a VGA pass-through board that extracts the sync signal for the IO board for the CRT positioning to work.

What we want to do is play this game using Analog input type guns, like the rest of the NAOMI gun games. But it would need to be patched to accept input over analog INSTEAD of the touch screen input.

HOTD2 works without I/O and at 31K - absolutely amazing job!

@MetalliC Ah that could be it, I'd have been sending coordinates where the top right is 0,0. And so that possibly threw the calibration off completely - unfortunately I don't have the cart anymore, and I don't believe the Netboot version works properly?

Hi!
I've just tried HOTD2 on a NetDimm 4.02 system, with multibios, set to Japan.
Working ok, as far as I could without a gun system, from start to 1st boss.
Reset on NetDimm is not working.
I mean all I tested was netbootibg the Naomi.

Thanks @MetalliC for your work!!!

Hi all,

As a matter of co-incidence I have been working on my C Mission Naomi gun cab for the first time in years, I usually play Confidential Mission and Maze of Kings on it.
This weekend I swapped in a Chihiro 3 MB and it ran Virtua Cop 3 & Ghost Squad without a hitch, but no HoTD3 as need to find a Chihiro 1 MB.

Then low and below I look up your thread to find HoTD2 Bootable from NetDimm, cant believe my luck. See video of it running here on Naomi 1 21578G Bios perfectly,
Video: Kevin2me: HotD2 Netboom Nov 2019

Thanks so much to ye all, I think this was one of my favorite community moments ever, ye rock. Thanks @MetalliC for your work! But for Darksoft, Twisty etc too Cant believe all the hacks ye have spent countless hours putting together.

On a side note had no lock with Biohazard Gun Survivor 2 Hacked RAM, first I didnt have enuf ram, so upgraded to 256 to 512 it then tried to load unknown game.
But Game is not compatible with Main Game board on N1 or N2 with Netdimm 512GB RAM and Pi.

Eitherway the thanks to everyone, thats just amazing to have HoTD2 playable at home. Chuffed. Thanks Kev

On a side note had no lock with Biohazard Gun Survivor 2
IIRC this game will not boot without a link board present, but it's not going to be compatible with a Confidential mission cabinet anyway, this game uses special mounted guns with 3 axis of analog movement. and some other features.

If you're looking for other games to try on your cab check out Death Crimson OX, and Lupin The 3rd: The Shooting. They should both work perfectly in your cab.

IIRC this game will not boot without a link board present, but it's not going to be compatible with a Confidential mission cabinet anyway, this game uses special mounted guns with 3 axis of analog movement. and some other features.
yep, this game require/use rotary joystick, similar to old SNK's shooters like Midnight Resistance, Ikari Warriors, etc, but fully analog.
but no, comm. board should not be a problem, there is patched binary which will work without comm.pcb.

You should be able to get Biohazard to work. It was booting for sure on CF card.

As has been pointed out earlier, Ninja Assault uses the touchscreen interface part of JVS so that cannot be easily hacked.

The JYU-PCB reports the resolution as 16 bits for X and Y.

The coordinate system for the touchscreen starts in lower left as 0, 0.

Guns must be calibrated to work properly.

Haha thank you @twistedsymphony and @stj - that repo just has some of my research about making repro light guns, but none of it is very finished or useful. I was going to re-do the blinking LED tactic of the OMZ gun board and it does work okay, but my LED clusters weren't bright enough and I got bored of the project in the end.

Back