What's new
Hello there. I just received my Darksoft CPS2 Champion Edition card (so the latest version 2 if this multi card) and I just went thru the installation guide (v1.3) and have a couple of questions since I can see quite few contradicting recommendations on AP forums and what's written in the actual installation guide: 1) do we have to have a suicided B Board? 2) is a suicided B Board just a board without a battery? 3) where can I find the roll up zip file, the link in the installation guide is dead. 4) what size for the SD card to store all games directly with all regions - so I just load everything and I dont have to worry ever about the CPS2 system.

Hello there. I just received my Darksoft CPS2 Champion Edition card (so the latest version 2 if this multi card) and I just went thru the installation guide (v1.3) and have a couple of questions since I can see quite few contradicting recommendations on AP forums and what's written in the actual installation guide: 1) do we have to have a suicided B Board? 2) is a suicided B Board just a board without a battery? 3) where can I find the roll up zip file, the link in the installation guide is dead. 4) what size for the SD card to store all games directly with all regions - so I just load everything and I dont have to worry ever about the CPS2 system.
@Darksoft Ok I understand now after a couple of quick browsings around what a suicided B board is. So question 2 is not really a question anymore for me. I believe though my question #1 is still the most important one for me : can the latest darksoft cps2 multi (version 2) work with a NON suicided b board ie with a working battery? ... i really thought I saw on a thread around here someone saying that we can leave the battery and use a properly working non suicided B board with the latest kit, despite what's written in the official installation guide PDF v1.3.

@Gnaffron you have to disconnect the battery, it’s keeping the encryption key loaded for the original game. The multi loads a new key every time it boots. Most people just remove it.

You should not use a suicided board because — how do you know if it actually works? If you buy a “suicided” board nowadays you’re probably being lied to. It takes $5 to resurrect a board. No such thing as a suicided cps2 anymore. https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/openkeys-neogeo-diag-prog-boards.24392/

Use a fully tested and working board. Remove the battery. Install the kit. Enjoy!

@Gnaffron you have to disconnect the battery, it’s keeping the encryption key loaded for the original game. The multi loads a new key every time it boots. Most people just remove it.

You should not use a suicided board because — how do you know if it actually works? If you buy a “suicided” board nowadays you’re probably being lied to. It takes $5 to resurrect a board. No such thing as a suicided cps2 anymore. https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/openkeys-neogeo-diag-prog-boards.24392/

Use a fully tested and working board. Remove the battery. Install the kit. Enjoy!
Thanks Mate. thats what I thought principle wise that I needed to remove the battery since this is how the key gets saved and since the multi needs to reload one every time you start the board, that makes sense... I was just making sure to confirm before removing the battery... because I did not want to suicide my b board which actually works right now.

Thanks Mate. thats what I thought principle wise that I needed to remove the battery since this is how the key gets saved and since the multi needs to reload one every time you start the board, that makes sense... I was just making sure to confirm before removing the battery... because I did not want to suicide my b board which actually works right now.

No such thing as suiciding anymore. For $5 you can restore the keys with an openkey (and never have to deal with a potentially leaky battery)

No such thing as suiciding anymore. For $5 you can restore the keys with an openkey (and never have to deal with a potentially leaky battery)

I was just wondering as well. Does the battery have another purpose beside the saving the key. like saving the number times you played or inserted coings etc... or recording you scores?

I was just wondering as well. Does the battery have another purpose beside the saving the key. like saving the number times you played or inserted coings etc... or recording you scores?
Settings etc are stored in an eeprom. The battery is only to keep the security keys loaded

Does anyone sell this kit in the U.K/Europe apart from saveyourgames.it as it seems they don’t ship to the UK (shipping will only allow you to select the country Italy).

Thanks

Hello all.

I forgot to mention but 2 weeks ago I was able to seamlessly install the Darksoft CPS2 Multi (version 2) on my SFA2 B-Board (that I had to suicide after proper and complete testing by simply desoldering the battery as well as making a shortcut on the EXC5 3-pins to make sure that the security key was flushed out) without any issue. And the CPS2 system directly worked :)

Worth mentioning that I also used a 32Go SHDC from Samsung (cheapest and smallest SHDC option I could find on Amazon in 2023 from a well-known brand - about 7EUR with Prime Amazon) and there was no issue with this SD Card either. I used the "guiformat.exe" program to properly format the SD Card in FAT32 (that's the program I have been using for the past 15 years or so to format any of my SHDC cards that I use for my various other consoles e.g. NDS, N3DSXL, SNES/SFC etc). I simply drag and drop the base package with all ENCRYPTED roms because I wanted to be able to play the Punisher game (CPS1.5) which was ported onto the CPS2 system (I really wanted that specific game also because I knew it was leveraging the QSOUND technology).

Thanks for all your inputs and support prior to the actual installation so that I was able to clarify some of the instructions that werent initially clear to me.

I just need to fix a problem on my hantarex polo/2 28 screen (I have weird set of horizontal parasites/lines scrolling up&down on the back of the image that I am not able to adjust/remove with the normal potentiometers incl VSYNC)... and then I ll a fully functional in extremely good state working Capcom Q25 cabinet ;)

Last but no least... I just wanted to mention that when the system booted for the first time the cabinet screen was completely blank and the remote controller was completely blue with no text showing whatsoever... and I thought it was not working... then I touched the buttons on the remote controller and after a couple of seconds (circa 10 or 20 seconds), a game was launched and fully functional... so I thought it was not properly working initially ; I actually thought that the extended cable was at least badly mounted or not properly manufactured (I read some posts about this specific issue), but the actually "problem" was simply that the potentiometer on the Darksoft CPS2 Multi board just needed to be adjusted to show on the remote controller the actual game list... I believe it was completely turned on a extreme position. So if you have the same symptoms, do not panic, it may just be that the brightness of your remote controller needs to be adjusted.

Thanks again for the really impressive work that has been done with this CPS2 multi over the year. Worth any penny!

Cheers
Eric

Attachments

• Darksoft CPS2 Version 2 - Mounted & Working - 2-3 - EG07MAY2023.JPEG
    Darksoft CPS2 Version 2 - Mounted & Working - 2-3 - EG07MAY2023.JPEG
    222.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Darksoft CPS2 Version 2 - Mounted & Working - 3-3 - EG07MAY2023.JPEG
    Darksoft CPS2 Version 2 - Mounted & Working - 3-3 - EG07MAY2023.JPEG
    90.1 KB · Views: 108
  • SFA2 B-Board - EXC5 Short - EG07MAY2023.JPEG
    SFA2 B-Board - EXC5 Short - EG07MAY2023.JPEG
    163.6 KB · Views: 105
Hello,

I've recently acquired a working CPS2 with the game "X-Men: Children of the Atom", the game has an Infinikey installed. I didn't choose this game for anything other than it was the cheapest I could get.

When looking at https://www.saveyourgames.it/en/prodotto/darksoft-new-multi-cps-2-rev2-2/ I can see that there are multiple options that I can select: "Prolunga schermo" and "Adattatore 4 cavi per Key writing delle Multi-CPS2", do I need these or is the default offering enough to get it working with my CPS2?

Thanks.

They are optional, upu can see in the english version the translation.

You Need Multi cps2 and a Memory card, nothing else. The others are optionals

My darksoft setup recently stopped working on my astro city cabs. Weird thing is that it works via my supergun. Why would it behave this way? I tested my cabs with a regular CPS2 board and it's working fine. Could my A board be dying on my darksoft?

Back