What's new
IMG_7067.jpg

What's in the box?!?!

Was finally able to set up Darksoft Champion Edition after trying on a problematic board. I was still having some issues for some reason but then it magically worked. I also realized that the LCD must be plugged in before turning on or it won't work properly.

I'm super happy with the setup and forgot about a lot of these games that I used to play in the arcade. Props to the team who put this together and a big thank you for making this hobby easier and cheapER!

While the setup was easy, the instructions definitely need an update and some better pictures. Some suggestions for improvement:
  • Step 1 of multi-installation: Have an overhead picture of how the board should oriented. The side view, while somewhat useful, is less useful than actually showing where and what direction the board should plug in
  • Step 2: minor update to no longer need screws
  • Step 3: more intuitive since the larger board can only go in one place, but overhead shot would still be useful.
  • Step 5: is a little confusing because it shows 6 wires connected for key writing when only 4 are needed.
  • Additional soldering instructions: it would be easier to follow if the pictures showed the same wire colors from the JST to CN2. I know there's a reference mapping above, but it would be clearer/easier to follow with same color wires in both pictures.
That's it for my suggestions. Thanks again!

EDIT: Who sells those nice labels for the case? I'd like to get one! Thanks in advance!

~Paik
Only 4 wires are needed but the idea is to use a 6 pin to 6 pin connector for ease of installation
That would make sense if the pictures actually showed a 6 pin JST. It doesn't; it shows 6 individual connectors. It makes people think that they need to wire all 6 and they may waste time/effort/money to wire it up 2 extra wires or to buy JST 6 pin connector if they are OCD like me : )

Do position 1 and 6 do anything at all? Maybe for future enhancement/updates? I have to imagine the design to use 6 pin was purposeful.

~Paik

The connector on both boards is 6 pin. I chose to use DuPont wires because it’s all I had on hand. Connecting the other two wires isn’t a big deal, doesn’t break anything and literally costs cents.

I’ll update the guide to include a picture of the JST connector alongside the DuPonts and include some of your other suggestions. Thanks.

Reading over the guide I'm wondering is it okay to use a micro SD card larger then 8GB? I should have just included one when I purchased but dumb me thought I had an old one lying around. All I can find is a 32GB.

I just realized that I will need to buy connectors and wires for connecting J18 on the CPS2 Multi with C9 on the B board. Does anyone have a link to recommended connectors / wires? If possible, I want to have a single connector instead of using individual DuPont wires.

you can use the decrypted set for now until you get the connector, i'll shoot you a PM with the link

Thanks for your feedback @Paik4Life and @Ajax — please keep suggestions for the guide coming and I will continue to update it until it’s seamless and perfect.

If anyone has photos to include, feel free to post them also.

I installed mine tonight! Super easy. Great job @Darksoft and the instructions were legit @djsheep it is pretty straightforward install.

Only thing I would say is it would be nice if there was the option to buy the key writing cable @HighScoreSaves for those of us who will play with the encrypted sets.
I ran into an issue booting the games and got the black screen at first. And it was because my ability to crimp Dupont cables is somewhere between mediocre and comical at best. Once I got my wiring straight it was sweet sweet CPS2 multi action!

thanks again! next stop is a paint job and possibly the HDMI mod.

Attachments

• cps2champ.jpg
    cps2champ.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for your feedback @Paik4Life and @Ajax — please keep suggestions for the guide coming and I will continue to update it until it’s seamless and perfect.

If anyone has photos to include, feel free to post them also.
I Have this at hand, does that help?

Attachments

• 182F5425-C7AD-43C2-AB80-086F7AB196C0.jpeg
    182F5425-C7AD-43C2-AB80-086F7AB196C0.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 137
  • E1916948-1118-43F7-A05A-044B1B71FDBD.jpeg
    E1916948-1118-43F7-A05A-044B1B71FDBD.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 0653A8B5-EEA1-47FB-B907-08014AFEED42.jpeg
    0653A8B5-EEA1-47FB-B907-08014AFEED42.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 135
Very useful @PascalP — Pretty sure aside from the key writing wire colour match up, all is sorted.

I do need a clear pic of “push in” spacers though. Mine came with the screw in type.

Back