What's new
In the original JAMMA standard there was an option to put line out on 11 and M where M is audio GND.

Looking at the Gunbird 2 PCB pics it looks like this is what Psikyo is doing. Can you please @Thomas snap some hires pictures of the audio section and JAMMA edge so we can trace where the signals go ?

If my assumption is correct it means you have line out already :)
Mine is the same as the boards that people posted previously in this thread. I can take better photos later if needed but I think others already provided some. Here is mine:

IMG_6738.jpeg

I can't comment on the sound quality because, as I wrote earlier, it was so quiet I could barely hear it. I didn't check the voltage or do any further testing. I am re-doing the audio in my Blast City and decided to quickly test the line out audio. The amp I'm using is 100w@ 6 ohm and is very loud when connected to the JAMMA audio output on this board (through a line level converter).

Thank you for the picture @Thomas

Since we now know that Psikyo followed the original JAMMA standard and exposed the line out directly on pin 11 and M where M is audio GND all you need to do is to connect that output directly to the input of an external amplifier and listen to the quality.

It would be nice if someone could try to trace the signal from pin 11 into the PCB. All I can see is that it seems to go to a capacitor C18.

I've never actually tested the line out function. I just remember discovering it when I started looking into the audio circuit on these pcbs.

I finally had some free time to spend on this and, more important, have the needed components! So:

I have a Gunbird 2 PCB in a PS5 Psikyo pcb in which the high pitch noise is noticeable enough that in silent moments during gameplay noise is clearly audible while seated in front of the cab or even further back. This is a small footage I recorded where noise is clearly noticeable:

You can hear the high pitch noise even when the phone is not placed near to the cab speakers.

Then, first action to perform is make a full recap in order to see if I get some improvements. Another footage after recapping the pcb (recorded at the same volume level as before, I don't touch the volume pot):

Small to none progress... (Maybe a bit less hum noise from the PSU, but very subtle)

So, as previously discussed in this thread, we all now that PS5 psikyo pcbs have two variants regarding sound section. One using the Yamaha DAC: YAC516 and mainly seen in Striker 1945 III / 1999 pcbs, and one using another Yamaha DAC: YAC513. In this case, my Gunbird 2 pcb is the latter:

20U0mddl.jpg

I also have a Strikers 1945 III pcb and in this case, it is the PS5 pcb first variant using YAC516 and it have a clear audio with no noise, so I decided to compare both pcbs and compile the differences in components apart of the DAC used in each one. Goal is make the sound section of Gunbird 2 work exactly the same as Strikers 1945 III and check if noise will go. Differences:
  • Remove: R32, R34, C12, C19, C21, C22, U45 (YAC513)
  • Populate: R21, R23, R28, R31, R33, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, C9, C10, CP36, CP41, U39 (YAC516-M) where:
    • C4, C5, C9: 10u, 16V
    • C6, C10: 1u, 50V
    • C7, C8, CP36, CP41: 0.1u smd
    • R21: 10 Ohm smd
    • R23, R28: 10K Ohm smd
    • R31, R33: 0 Ohm smd (jumper)
    • U39: YAC516-M
And now it looks exactly the same as Strikers 1945 III:

aR0TViDl.jpg

Well, take a look at the final footage after sound section replacement (also without moving the pot and same volume level), it speaks for itself 8):

Now the difference is massive and only some little hum that is present in almost every jamma PCB is present so the high pitch is gone.

Definitely, the YAC513 variant is a low-cost (?) version providing a poor audio quality.

Sad thing is the PS3 pcb (for example used in Striker 1945 II) has no chance to do this, and the YAC513 option is the only one feasible due to the pcb desing.

Someone please test the line out between 11 and M and compare against the amp section.

I finally had some free time to spend on this and, more important, have the needed components! So:

I have a Gunbird 2 PCB in a PS5 Psikyo pcb in which the high pitch noise is noticeable enough that in silent moments during gameplay noise is clearly audible while seated in front of the cab or even further back. This is a small footage I recorded where noise is clearly noticeable:

You can hear the high pitch noise even when the phone is not placed near to the cab speakers.

Then, first action to perform is make a full recap in order to see if I get some improvements. Another footage after recapping the pcb (recorded at the same volume level as before, I don't touch the volume pot):

Small to none progress... (Maybe a bit less hum noise from the PSU, but very subtle)

So, as previously discussed in this thread, we all now that PS5 psikyo pcbs have two variants regarding sound section. One using the Yamaha DAC: YAC516 and mainly seen in Striker 1945 III / 1999 pcbs, and one using another Yamaha DAC: YAC513. In this case, my Gunbird 2 pcb is the latter:

20U0mddl.jpg

I also have a Strikers 1945 III pcb and in this case, it is the PS5 pcb first variant using YAC516 and it have a clear audio with no noise, so I decided to compare both pcbs and compile the differences in components apart of the DAC used in each one. Goal is make the sound section of Gunbird 2 work exactly the same as Strikers 1945 III and check if noise will go. Differences:
  • Populate: R21, R23, R28, R31, R33, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, C9, C10, CP36, CP41, U39 (YAC516-M) where:

aR0TViDl.jpg

Well, take a look at the final footage after sound section replacement (also without moving the pot and same volume level), it speaks for itself 8):

Now the difference is massive and only some little hum that is present in almost every jamma PCB is present so the high pitch is gone.

Definitely, the YAC513 variant is a low-cost (?) version providing a poor audio quality.

Sad thing is the PS3 pcb (for example used in Striker 1945 II) has no chance to do this, and the YAC513 option is the only one feasible due to the pcb desing.
Very nice work!! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

If I hadn't sold my PS5 Gunbird 2 (due to this issue) I would definitely give this a go.

20U0mddl.jpg

aR0TViDl.jpg

This is amazing!! Too bad my strikers 2 will never not have a annoying buzz 😭.

That’s only feasible in PS5 pcbs.

It would be nice to make something for PS3 pcbs with YAC513. Strikers 1945 in SH303 PCB also uses it properly, without high pitch noises
Right, in life, as the PCB lottery, I'm rolling 3s when I wish I was rolling 5s...

Right, in life, as the PCB lottery, I'm rolling 3s when I wish I was rolling 5s...
It’s funny I picked up a PS3 Gunbird 2 hoping it would not suffer from the same issue as the PS5 Gunbird 2 that I used to have.. It turned out that it has the same issue, but not “quite” as noticeable (maybe).

Not too upset though as hopefully the @aje_fr multi will be around the corner and I’ve got a Strikers 1945 III for that

I am curious if the same sound issue is also present on the line out. From the pictures it looks line out seems to be present on all the sh2 pcbs.

I forgot to add that my buzzing strikers 2s sound amp gets stinking hot also :/

I forgot to add that my buzzing strikers 2s sound amp gets stinking hot also :/
does you cab force connect "Speaker -" on the JAMMA edge to ground? if so that might be the source of your buzzing and your hot amp.

does you cab force connect "Speaker -" on the JAMMA edge to ground? if so that might be the source of your buzzing and your hot amp.
It’s a NAC , so whatever it does off the Jamma mono haha 😆😅

Just to add to this , I’m working on my gunbird with a bg ram NG and noticed no buzz at all on this sh403. It sounds 👌

Back