What's new
Hey guys.
does anyone know a way to convert a MT 2 to thunder blaster?

rom board seems to be similar to gunforce 1 technically

right?

Honestly I got this board cause of the Multi (if it ever happens) but, if this were easier to do for gunforce2 I settle for just that game.

I guess my best and easiest way to play gunforce2 is just the mister or mame?
The M92 multi is very close now (well, closer than 5 years ago anyway!), but the new M92 core on MiSTer is looking great, still in Alpha now though.

MAME is an easy go to if you just want to play!

The M92 multi is very close now (well, closer than 5 years ago anyway!), but the new M92 core on MiSTer is looking great, still in Alpha now though.

MAME is an easy go to if you just want to play!
Very true but, honestly in the end having the multi sounds much more appealing, I did get the mistercade and waiting for the DE10 nano and been learning about it in the meantime, I have to admit its intimidating.

Also, I want to apologize for my previous statement... I re-read it and I sound like, an entitled pric... I do acknowledge the hard work he and others do. To me it's very bad ass what they do, my respect.

I know this is an old thread but wanted to update some of the info here based on my own research. A Gunforce rom board can not (easily) be converted to Gunforce 2 because GF2 uses memory banking. Major Title 2, Ninja Baseball Bat Man and Dream Soccer '94 also use memory banking. The memory banked games uses two pairs of 4MBit roms for the CPU and which 2MBit portion of the second pair is visible to the CPU can be changed by code at runtime.

R-Type Leo, In The Hunt, Hook, Mystic Riders, Blade Master and Undercover Cops do not use memory banking. They have a pair of 4MBit roms and a pair of 2MBit roms for the CPU. Gunforce is unique because it is the only game that uses two pairs of 2MBit roms. The board does have the address lines necessary to address 4MBit roms, however the logic that does the ROM chip select is not configured for it. In order to support the 4MBit roms used by these other games you need to replace the M92_B-7H- PAL IC on the rom board with the M92_B-7H-D (which can be found here: https://wiki.pldarchive.co.uk/index.php?title=Major_Title_2_(M92), other versions of this logic will work two but this one is the most versatile). That will enable the full addressing of the 4MBit roms.

Superior Soliders might also be supported, but it has a lot of character rom data, so I am not as confident.
@wickerwaka Thank you for sharing your research. It inspired me to go try convert my Gunforce into In The Hunt.
  • Desoldered 9 32 pin roms, installed sockets in their places
  • Programmed the ITH rom set + decrypted sound rom + M92_B-7H-D GAL
  • Set up jumpers accordingly
  • Success!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 20
Wait so Gunforce 1 can run RTL, ITH, Hook and UC?

99% of people are just going to want to convert to RTL anyway

Wait so Gunforce 1 can run RTL, ITH, Hook and UC?

99% of people are just going to want to convert to RTL anyway
No way, ITH, Hook, and UC are freaking awesome! I mean, RTL is great too, but I wouldn't say 99% of people...

Back