What's new
Would someone be able to burn me a bios H for my pi force tools? I don't think I have the correct bios on this Naomi I can't get the pi force tools to boot on the lcd. There's a black bar over where the text would read. It used to work on a different Naomi I had but I no longer have it and i believe the bios chip went with it 😅

Would someone be able to burn me a bios H for my pi force tools? I don't think I have the correct bios on this Naomi I can't get the pi force tools to boot on the lcd. There's a black bar over where the text would read. It used to work on a different Naomi I had but I no longer have it and i believe the bios chip went with it 😅

I could, but I'm not in the US so not that cost efficiënt. Anyways, I doubt it has something to do with the bios tbh. Piforcetools doesn't really interface that way with the Naomi. You should be able to boot it even without connecting it to a Naomi.

I'd have to see what EPROMs I have around, but let's diagnose things a bit first. Any reason you're after revision H vs a mutli-region BIOS? Can you post pictures of your setup, including the dip switches and the LCD?

I'd have to see what EPROMs I have around, but let's diagnose things a bit first. Any reason you're after revision H vs a mutli-region BIOS? Can you post pictures of your setup, including the dip switches and the LCD?
I think I do need the multi bios. I had read revision H but now that you mention probably do need the multi bios. I got the zero pic key from DOS on here. I can't get my set up to work with my new Naomi and new retro pi 1. My old retro pi broke, the small cap snapped off. So I got a new pi 1.

I think I do need the multi bios. I had read revision H but now that you mention probably do need the multi bios. I got the zero pic key from DOS on here. I can't get my set up to work with my new Naomi and new retro pi 1. My old retro pi broke, the small cap snapped off. So I got a new pi 1.
Revision F or higher of the original BIOS versions will work with net-booting, or the multi-bios. On the ebays you can get the multi-region BIOS for ~10$. I'll keep looking, but I don't think I have an appropriate EPROM handy, but I'll keep looking.

All of that being said, the Pi and LCD should work independently of the Naomi. So we really should try and diagnose that first and foremost.

I dug out my old piforce running on a raspberry pi v1. With just power and no Naomi in sight it still boots to the LCD menu.
6660E73B-4507-47E3-B444-2A35DD093770.jpeg

Last edited:
I can. Send me a pm.

Revision F or higher of the original BIOS versions will work with net-booting, or the multi-bios. On the ebays you can get the multi-region BIOS for ~10$. I'll keep looking, but I don't think I have an appropriate EPROM handy, but I'll keep looking.

All of that being said, the Pi and LCD should work independently of the Naomi. So we really should try and diagnose that first and foremost.

I dug out my old piforce running on a raspberry pi v1. With just power and no Naomi in sight it still boots to the LCD menu.
6660E73B-4507-47E3-B444-2A35DD093770.jpeg
Yeah, mine definitely doesn't do that anymore. It's just a black bar where the text is... maybe my image got corrupt??

Yeah, mine definitely doesn't do that anymore. It's just a black bar where the text is... maybe my image got corrupt??
What you’re describing is what it would look like if the contrast was off. Can you post a picture?

Example: mine with the contrast potentiometer cranked all the way to the left.
658B2901-832F-4B47-B60A-E8CBAE217BA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is a tad different. I see the contrast pot to the top but have no idea how or with what to turn it. 🤔

Attachments

• 20220724_090251.jpg
    20220724_090251.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 82
Mine is a tad different. I see the contrast pot to the top but have no idea how or with what to turn it. 🤔
With it powered on, gently twist the potentiometer in both directions with a screwdriver to see what happens. Not seen that variant of the LCD so not sure which way would be which. On mine, there is a small “sweet spot” to find where the contrast correctly shows the characters. Note it takes a bit for it to boot. Wait until the backlight turns on and it seems like something should be displayed.

I've turned it and there's no sweet spot just either faint bar artifact or a white bar. Nothing shows letters nothing even remotely close and I've turned it slow with a plastic tool. I'm kinda stumped. I'm betting it's the Naomi bios

Attachments

• 20220724_093340.jpg
    20220724_093340.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220724_093619.jpg
    20220724_093619.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I've turner it and there's no sweet spot just either faint artifacts or a black bar. Nothing shows letters nothing even remotely close and I've turned it slow with a plastic tool
Anything showing from the pi’s hdmi output that would indicate a software or serial communication failure?

If I had it here I could swap out hardware to narrow down the issue. Can be sure I could find the problem or fix it but we can leave that as an option if nothing else works.

Anything showing from the pi’s hdmi output that would indicate a software or serial communication failure?

If I had it here I could swap out hardware to narrow down the issue. Can be sure I could find the problem or fix it but we can leave that as an option if nothing else works.
I have not tried hooking it up to hdmi yet. I'll try that next

***edit
Nothing is displaying to HDMI

Attachments

• 20220724_104556.jpg
    20220724_104556.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
J
Just the blue lcd screen and the RED led under PWR. Thats it
Where you able to fix this? I have the same issue. After not touching it for a bit this has happened to my pi. Also does anyone have the piforce.img file? It seems to me that the original download no longer works

Where you able to fix this? I have the same issue. After not touching it for a bit this has happened to my pi. Also does anyone have the piforce.img file? It seems to me that the original download no longer works
I took a look at @Kidkaos's setup and the issue was the micro sd card adapter. The Raspberry Pi simply wasn't posting. Using a different micro sd to sd card adapter solved the issue.

The piforce-tools download link and instructions on the git-repo are still good (just built a fresh install last week). https://github.com/travistyoj/piforcetools

Last edited:
Back