What's new
If you have a dreamcast handy. You might be able to borrow it's drive to put in the Naomi. There are 2 version.
this, I was going to say my Dreamcast GD-ROM is sitting in a box because I pulled it out for the GDEMU,

I don't think you can use the dreamcast gdrom...

I do it all the time (well 2 times) they use the same drive. The Dreamcast has 2 different drive revision, if I remember correctly. You just need to find the right one for your Naomi gdrom encloser

Looks like my GDROM decided to die since the last time I played with it. Did everything, measured voltages, used different SCSI cables, (I have two official Sega GDROM cables), used different Naomi's. Still no good.

IMG_1408.JPG

Sooooooooo...........paging @jugu. It is your lucky day bud. You don't have to surrender your Egret II to get that "sweet sweet upgrade action" if you have a working GDROM at your place. I can bring the discs down to your place in a week and we can play around with this.

P.S. I was only kidding on the other thread :P
I do have a GD-ROM unit taken from a Maximum Tune driving cab. Let me know if you can make it down. Would be good to hang out again.

If you have a dreamcast handy. You might be able to borrow it's drive to put in the Naomi. There are 2 version.
Funny you mention that. I did just that for this GDROM when I first got it and managed to resurrect it. My other spare Dreamcast has a different drive sled so wasn't a donor match.

Was up pretty late troubleshooting this. The drive unit definitely took a dive. I put it back in the Dreamcast to see if was still working hoping to isolate it to the drive unit or the other board in the GDROM. Well, the drive unit didn't even make the tell tale skidding sound the Dreamcast is known for. So the drive unit is definitely dead. Hope the other board isn't cooked too (fingers crossed). Good news there is the fan still turns on. I see a few Dreamcasts on CL that I can pick up fairly cheaply for parts. But won't be able to look into them until week after next due to business travel.
I do have a GD-ROM unit taken from a Maximum Tune driving cab. Let me know if you can make it down. Would be good to hang out again.
Word up brother! Would be good to hang. Check out your new schwag like the Transformers cab and long over your Egret II cab while I am at it. I'll check with the forum member that loaned me the disc to make sure it is cool that I upgrade a few Dimm's that I don't personally own. Just don't want to return his generosity by making it look like a free for all. Hit you up in about a week.

Word up brother! Would be good to hang. Check out your new schwag like the Transformers cab and long over your Egret II cab while I am at it. I'll check with the forum member that loaned me the disc to make sure it is cool that I upgrade a few Dimm's that I don't personally own. Just don't want to return his generosity by making it look like a free for all. Hit you up in about a week.
Hey @jugu, so the member said it was cool. Will be in North Carolina for a week starting tomorrow morning. I'll call you week after next to meet up. Let me know if you can set up one of your cabs with the GDROM/Naomi so we can just get off to a running start. Or I'll just bring down the rig that I showed in that picture above and we can plug it into one of your cabs.

Personally, I have never CF booted. I bought a few Naomi's that came with Dimm's. Bought parts to do DIY CF boot drives, but then plans changed when I was able to acquire a few NetDimm's for cheap. And I still have a few 1.xx revision Dimm's :). I want to run several Naomi cabs. Running ethernet cable all over the place doesn't appeal to me too much. So CF booting might be more practical. A few members have msg'ed me about this 2.xx disc and are anxious to see the outcome. Hope to have a final update in 2 weeks, then I’ll update the OP.

Well, the forum member that loaned me the disc beat me to it. Just got back from business travel. He sent me a message confirming that the 2.17 firmware disc cannot upgrade a Dimm that is at 1.02. Here is the screenshot he took:

2.17firmware.JPG

Last edited:
That does suck. How did they upgrade back in the day?

Oops sorry. I put in a typo on my last post. The disc used was the firmware 2.17. Fixed that post.

So it may still be possible to update a 1.02 firmware revision Dimm to 2.xx if one can get a hold of an older firmware disc with the security key. But that in itself is proving to be harder than turning water into wine. I am making the rounds inquiring where I can get such a disc. Getting such a disc is next to impossible. Getting it with a security key, is like parting the Red Sea. As it stands, the only practical way to achieve this is by using Dr. Tyler Durden's surgical method. I talked to Mitsurugi-w and he offers that surgical service for $25. I am starting to weigh that cost with the impossibility of finding an older disc.

Last edited:
Is this the one you're looking for ? Will it work without the original security pic? (I recon it originally came with pic for vanilla VF4)

Last edited:
Damnit @kioku25!!! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuusssssssshhhaaaaaaaaah....... j/k.

Anyways, that is the one. But it won't work without the OG security key or some sort of PIC chip. Even with the disc and security key, who knows if you can upgrade from version 1.02. So it is still a gamble.

Last edited:
Is this the one you're looking for ? Will it work without the original security pic? (I recon it originally came with pic for vanilla VF4)
yup, wasn't paying attention that they don't come with the security pic.

Last edited:
I fixed my GDROM (thanks @twistedsymphony!) and gave the 2.17 firmware update a whirl myself. No luck. And for shits and giggles tried the same with the 3.17 disc, which I know doesn't work either. But thought I try anyway. Here are the results:

IMG_1434.JPG

Sigh...........

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 126
looks like the disc was taken down, reposted and sold for $41.

Back