What's new

pixelvsprintdot

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a Hyper SF2 jp board that I'm 90% sure is fake but I don't know enough to make a definitive call.

I have maybe 17 CPS2 boards and this is the only one with chips like this - but maybe it is because this was at the end of the CPS2's production life cycle?

The game label looks to be digitally printed VS the 4 color offset printing that all my other boards use, and I was able to confirm by using my press check loop.

Does anyone have knowledge on this game and its board?

--- also, I feel like maybe I have asked this in the past but I cant find that there so maybe I never did?

Thank you in advance

IMG_0527.jpgIMG_0528.jpgIMG_0529.jpgIMG_0531.jpgIMG_0532.jpg

Conversion yes, the graphics roms should be maskroms not eproms.
I was thinking the same thing, but I remember reading somewhere that at times, in an attempt to get orders out the door faster, Capcom would sometimes use EPROMs. BUT maybe I'm getting my wires crossed?

I don't know that I'd call it fake but it is a conversion.
real capcom hardware
real capcom game code (albeit likely phoenix ROMs)
reproduction label
EPROMs instead of Mask ROMs

I was thinking the same thing, but I remember reading somewhere that at times, in an attempt to get orders out the door faster, Capcom would sometimes use EPROMs. BUT maybe I'm getting my wires crossed?

That's true but they would definitely have capcom labels on them. EPROMs without labels like that is very rarely seen on original factory releases.

ROM numbers in pencil markings on the chips is also common on conversions, and very rarely seen on an original factory release.

CPS2 fakes do not exist. It is definitely a conversion, though. If there is no Infinikey or Arduino device in there, then it is using a Phoenixed romset (method of reviving boards before the Infinikey existed and as a result, uses a Romset that is patched to get around the lack of suicide battery). If you want, you could reprogram the ROMs, get an Infinikey and have it running the original unaltered code 1:1, if that matters to you. But I don't think most people can tell the difference between a Phoenixed and original ROMset.

CPS2 boards are highly versatile by design. Capcom themselves recycled many boards and made official conversions.

I think I'm telling you what you already know - that game is going to be considered a conversion by pretty much everyone - market value is the same as any other conversion.

Things to look for first
ROMS 11-20 should be mask roms (no window, game name/number silkscreened directly onto chip)
ROMS 1-10 should be eproms with a Capcom sticker over the window (Capcom in blue game name/number in grey)

Other things to look for
Signs of rework on the JP pads

So its possible that this game was factory original very late in the production run; They sent it out with all EPROMS to use up stock, the battery died so someone peeled the program rom stickers to convert to Phoenix/Avalaunch, got carried away and peeled all of the other stickers at the same time, including the Sound roms, then decided to bust out the soldering iron and touch up the jumper pads while they were in there.
But its vastly more likely that someone converted this from a less desirable game to a more desirable and fun one. Nothing wrong with a competently executed conversion still plays the same, and this is a super-fun game to play, so enjoy it for what is for sure

Thank you all for all the help. I wanted to be super about this board. As a player, I don't have an issue with it, but as a collector, I want to make sure I understand what it actually is.

Back