What's new
Fucking cats. You know he did it on purpose. Might have even got a cut of the sale, but it's possible he did it for free just for the chaos. Just sayin'...
I'm ready to skin him. But he's just so cute. What a monster though.

Noticed the PS1 and DC are missing too, so that's great.

The one upside is apparently my insurance is real decent. Paid extra for full replacement, just need to prove I own the stuff via pictures and/or receipts. I'm not sure how to prove my Saturn had a Phoebe in it, but I have the receipt for the phoebe and pics of the Saturn. Guess we'll see? Found pics or receipts for everything else.

Now how the heck I'll buy some of this stuff back for the price I paid for it, I'm unsure. But one thing at a time.

Description of the Saturn and we can keep an eye out on eBay and FB MP.
White saturn, kinda yellowed, had a bomberman controller with it. Had a Phoebe in it. The PS1 was just a plain Jane nothing that stuck out, same with the DC aside from having ODE's. I've kept an eye out on Offerup all day to no avail.

I really doubt they know/knew anything about the consoles outside of they were easy to grab. They left both my Daiei Hawks N64 and a US one with ED64 sitting in it though. Left the Sharp C1 as well. Had to just be convenient. Got my power washer, welder, torches, aquarium filter, some Milwaukee FUEL stuff and batteries, it's a mess.

They got some fingerprints off an aquarium CO2 canister though that's chrome, so here's hoping there's some justice down the line.

PXL_20231206_031056753.jpg

PXL_20231206_031052783.jpg

Easy bake oven is completed. Now to run a few daughterboards through it at different settings and get things down to a tee before throwing actual carts through it.

White saturn, kinda yellowed, had a bomberman controller with it. Had a Phoebe in it. The PS1 was just a plain Jane nothing that stuck out, same with the DC aside from having ODE's. I've kept an eye out on Offerup all day to no avail.

I really doubt they know/knew anything about the consoles outside of they were easy to grab. They left both my Daiei Hawks N64 and a US one with ED64 sitting in it though. Left the Sharp C1 as well. Had to just be convenient. Got my power washer, welder, torches, aquarium filter, some Milwaukee FUEL stuff and batteries, it's a mess.

They got some fingerprints off an aquarium CO2 canister though that's chrome, so here's hoping there's some justice down the line.
This is the worst part. Some basic, ignorant f*ck will end up selling the stuff at some pawn shop for $20. It's happened to me before and that is the most irritating part about it. Something rare you spent time and money to find/purchase only for some clown to steal it and sell it for pennies on the dollar. I had some irreplaceable items stolen a few years back and still pains me to think about to this day. Sometimes money is not the issue. Finding that almost impossible rare item to even purchase again is the hardest part.

Incredibly soft interest check take here to see if there's a market for building these things. I know a few people like @HornheaDD and @GeorgeSpinner were asking about it in the main thread since a lot of folks can't do the mod themselves.

It looks like I'm going to have a fair few extra of the required chips, and a good bit of time on my hands throughout the holidays (boss at my main job scales back starting mid-Nov, so so will I), so if there's demand I'll take this up for a bit. If not, I'll eat the chip cost and that'll be that.

They're very labor/time intensive, finicky work, and the chips take an absolute age to program, so the price reflects it. I know a couple people had suggested they'd have to cost as much as the NeoSD or DS solutions, and I'd normally agree with them, but for doing a small run of them on the side while work is slow I figure I can do a bit better than that. I've taken 4 dry runs at these now and am very confident/comfortable with all the SMD work, just waiting on dumper PCBs to come in in about a week to get the ones I have here up and running.

My tentative price-point would be $280 for a completed MVS cart, you provide nothing. AES $330 for no other reason than the cheapest v3 AES carts I could find cost $50 more than MVS. I don't see MVS cart prices changing, but the price difference from the cheapest AES supplier to the second cheapest is $50, so if the one runs dry the price may change for that one.

If you provide a like-new, fully working v3 cart I will happily knock off my cart cost from the price (ie if it costs me $48 to buy an MVS cart I'll knock 48 off the cost), but I won't be working on one someone else has attempted to mod and damaged or take a stab at fixing non-working carts.

*If you want to include XenoCrisis you'll either have to provide proof of having purchased the roms, or I can purchase them for you and it'll cost that 15-17 extra (receipt and files provided). I wouldn't feel right putting their game on there without it being paid for.

Like I said, just a soft interest check, no commitment necessary at this time. If you're interested at that price-point, please chime in.

I think at 10-15 I'll pivot to taking names, and then deposits that are just enough to cover the cart purchases.

Current status list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1se4-FHEoJe7nrAHGI3BemvlTZqBaX3jreL2bOTrzP1Y/edit?usp=sharing

Game list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16aCpPoJxHt-60g2U6N9eUfncmFS8n7z6DWqIOujL-qs/edit?usp=sharing

UPDATE:

From 11/9 onward it will be $290 per MVS cart and $340 for AES. Looks like this forum has single-handedly exhausted the supply of chips from all 3 suppliers and all that remains are some highly oxidized ones (godspeed to whoever bought the 100 used ones if the remaining new ones are already rusted). The $10 bump will cover the difference in cost to buy sacrificial carts instead (no extra charge for the extra labor). All already deposited folks and those who get it in today/tomorrow morning who I've messaged recently will be honored at the original price!

Once we've hit the first 75 I am going to cut things short for a few and just keep a waitlist going. Every 6 I'll do another batch.

Current count: 75/75

Waitlist:
I’ll take one mvs ver.
If can be ups to uk 🫡

I’ll take one mvs ver.
If can be ups to uk 🫡
Can ship however you like. USPS, FedEx, UPS are all within 3 miles of my home.

I've added you to the list. And I think I'm capping the waitlist batch after one more person. 21 seems a reasonable stopping spot (need multiples of 3 for chips anyway).

If anyone else pops up I'll start a list for another batch and we'll move forward so long as it gets to 12+.

50/60 CHA boards socketed today.

With any REAL luck, by end of tomorrow I'll be done with socketing these and the PROG boards and be a full day ahead of the plan. Then take a day or so off for my wrist and dive into the one bajillion single daughterboards that need building and programming.

AES carts should go way quicker. There are 1/4 as many, but also I have worked out the best method for each step of the way so it should chug along pretty easily.

Can ship however you like. USPS, FedEx, UPS are all within 3 miles of my home.

I've added you to the list. And I think I'm capping the waitlist batch after one more person. 21 seems a reasonable stopping spot (need multiples of 3 for chips anyway).

If anyone else pops up I'll start a list for another batch and we'll move forward so long as it gets to 12+.

50/60 CHA boards socketed today.

With any REAL luck, by end of tomorrow I'll be done with socketing these and the PROG boards and be a full day ahead of the plan. Then take a day or so off for my wrist and dive into the one bajillion single daughterboards that need building and programming.

AES carts should go way quicker. There are 1/4 as many, but also I have worked out the best method for each step of the way so it should chug along pretty easily.
That’s cool any air Mail that’s trust worthy is cool thanks dude :)

Don't mind me, I'm just going to stare at the C/V rom programmer for the next week straight...

On the upswing, I managed to pull quite a lot of these off cleanly enough to program right on the STILT PCBs and will save a ton of time installing/removing C3 onto boards twice.

Hi @rewrite can you add me to the MVS list please. I have one v3 I can send in.
Will get you added.

This is the slowest process of my entire life. The dumper board having mis-aligned sockets is making this the worst process. Every daughterboard needs to be fiddled with for 5-10 minutes (some have taken 20) to get it to sit *just right* to read all 88 pins correctly.

Anyone familiar with kicad or the like and able to recreate this correctly? And with the board elongated so that daughterboards can be removed without the programmer removed. I'm happy to pay, even. It'd be less stress for me, and they'd get done quicker, even with waiting for JLCPCB.

If possible, I'd like to request one MVS version, with xeno crisis. Hope I'm not too late as finding this project just made my day!

If possible, I'd like to request one MVS version, with xeno crisis. Hope I'm not too late as finding this project just made my day!
Got you, Sir.

I'm pulling the last of my hair out with these programmers, so I commissioned a gent to remake the dumper board. Should be ordering the new dumper boards by week's end. I'll toss it up on github so others don't need to go through what I've been going through.

With 6 programmers I should be knocking out 40-50 chips a day, but with all the fiddling I'm hitting like 9-11. Often finding out at 75-80% of the way done that one or two pins are not quite seated right and it doesn't program entirely, reseating and trying again having lost over an hour. Yet to have hit one that won't program in the end yet, and everything has had a CRC checked dump that is good, but keep having to reseat and try again despite the programmer telling me there are no pin issues. I'm sometimes losing 4-5 hours on a single chip.

I think everyone is better served with this extra week or so's wait to get them in. It should coincide with getting the boards back from my SMD helper, and I should be able to more leisurely build single daughterboards in the meantime.

Once those are in I hope to start shipping in a few days. Maybe knock out 4 a day with any luck.

It should just be:

- Program C/V Roms
- Solder C3 onto the dual daughterboard
- Install into sockets
- Test

Bummed the MVS carts won't all be done before Christmas, but I don't think I fully grasped how many 75 is at the start of this, ha.

You’re crushing it man, very cool of you to provide this service for the community.
Take care of/pace yourself @rewrite , we can be patient 🙂
Appreciate the kind words, Gents. Everything was going smoothly more or less till here, ha.

I think even with the time lost to ordering new dumper PCBs it will still have me finishing sooner than if I kept going this way. And I can start on the AES carts in the meantime. Or at least the ones that have come in so far. Still waiting on some.

I also paid to have the single daughterboards pre-pinned (all the duals are already built). For $2.50/board it is not worth spending 7-8 minutes a piece on. Hopefully everything gets here all at once.

Last edited:
Back