What's new
monkey_ball_vs_standard_disc.jpg

My spare, chewed up Monkey Ball disc on the left and the stock disc on the right. 45mm and 40mm respectively. The indentations are a dead give away.

Well… let me be the first to congratulate @nem for his impressive ability to spot a 5.5mm discrepancy all the way from Finland… You were spot on.

IMG_6358.jpeg

Not sure if the last batch were correct or not… Meanwhile, please let me again ask if anyone with an original 45.xmm disc would be willing to lend it out.

The quest continues…

Oof I just measured the arcadeartshop one I received and it is also 40mm ;(

1000027763.jpg

And I've just noticed the metal plate on top of the gundam sticks is the wrong size too:

1000027764.jpg

Original plate holes 87x120mm

1000027765.jpg

1000027766.jpg

Gundam holes 114x114mm

1000027767.jpg

Likewise the plate itself is bigger on gundam.
Original: 102x134mm
Gundam: 135x134mm

Gundam sticks have the wrong restrictor disk, wrong pots and wrong metal plate. Anything else?

Isn't the shaft different too? Stubbier, I think.

I don't think the mounting plate is really an issue. The repro panels can be made to take this into account.

At this point is there any doubt that they are any different other than the 40mm to 45mm discrepancy?

@nam9 reached out to see if this project was still on the table, and agreed to pass things off to me. As he lives in Norway, this will be much easier logistically. Assuming the interest is still here, I'll handle sales, manufacturing, and shipping (despite not actually owning this game, lol). Looks like 50 units should cover current interest, and leave some remaining for future demand.

Part/manufacturing details:
  • The part CAD was based on both Gundam and original Monkeyball restrictors (thanks @nem for providing the MB part), and measured with hand mics and a digital comparator. The model is as accurate as I think you will get to the original part drawing
  • Part material will be POM, CNC machined on an ultra precise DMG DMP70
From here, I will be making samples for fitment and testing purposes. I expect final part design, program, and preorders to take place sometime in April.

Pricing:
$15-25, each, depending on quantity (official pricing soon, but it will not be higher).

If anyone has any questions, is no longer interested, or wants to reaffirm their interest, please let me know!

Last edited:
I'm still down for 5x please plasticfactory

Is anyone doing a repro of the metal bracket that goes on top between the gundam and the panel? The gundam one is too big and the holes to no align. I see someone has done a 3d print: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4564965
I think the repro panels were designed with the studs to mount the Gundam sticks directly. I didn't really think about it when putting mine together, it just bolted right up.

I'm still down for 5x please plasticfactory

Is anyone doing a repro of the metal bracket that goes on top between the gundam and the panel? The gundam one is too big and the holes to no align. I see someone has done a 3d print: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4564965

No plans for that, but I could machine or print the plates if there is demand.

Back